Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 530d Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2010 at 19:27
I've seen a few dogs too, but none that had wheels!
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Sponsored Links

MAC7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 20:53
I just sold my E38 728i Sport and bought a E39 530D. I thought I was going to see a huge jump up in performance & economy over the 7, enough to overcome the clackety sound of the diesel. What I was not prepared for was the lack of oomph compared to my 7 over 80mph. The big 7 wafted up to 138 on the Autobahn and the 5 seems slow & loud before the turbo has warmed up and seems flat when I push it a bit. had it up to 125 but it is nowhere near as rapid as my wifes 530i Sport E39. Once again I think I have "bought the wrong car" I also miss the sweet sound of the petrol. I used to have a E39 525i which i loved.

all this talk of detonating turbos and swirl flaps is making me worried.

G

Edited by MAC7
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 08:09

Your oil burner would have much the same bhp as the E38 and crucially much more torque so it should be quicker and more responsive than the E38.

Sounds like you have a problem as it should me more than a match for the 2.8i in your E38.  It's also a smaller barge so power to weight ratio will be better on the E39.  They should return over 40mpg on a good run.  The 3.0 petrol E39 would eat the 3.0 diesel E39. 

The ones I have driven were indeed swift and could make progress quickly...if you could live with the noise, the smell and the fear of as you say detonating turbos and swirl flaps.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 15:25
MAC7,

I agree with Andrew, sounds like something wrong there, you should have it looked at.

I had a turbo hose pop off, (mechanic didn't tighten it up properly after changing a thermostat) thought the thing had blown up, and it was really gutless. Maybe you
have an airleak somewhere.

If I boot it doing 60 there isn't much that will keep up with the diesel. I think mine has had a mild remap before I got it as it knocks out 208bhp and 353 lb/ft on a rolling road. It never feels slow, though is nowhere near nice sounding as the old 540i.

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic