Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA bit of the dreaded rust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote london635 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bit of the dreaded rust
    Posted: 17-January-2010 at 17:59
I've got a bit of rust on one of the front wings of my 635 and was hoping someone could recommend a good bodywork shop. I'm in north west london but would be happy to travel, a reasonable way, for the right garage. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2010 at 21:57
A bit of rust?

Where exactly? They go just behind the indicator, above the bumper. Unless you are incredibly lucky this will mean the area needs to be cut out & replaced. The bracket behind here holds mud against the panel & it rusts through.

There is also a panel which forms the the back of the indicator. As the wing vibrates, it cracks the underseal (assuming there was any) & water gets trapped & rusts through.

Now, while you're feeling depressed about this it gets worse. At the bottom of the wing where it joins the sill (the mudflap area) there's a drain hole which gets blocked & (as you've probably guessed) rusts through. There's a splash panel in there which is supposed to stop mud building up at the back but it just keeps the worst at bay. Feel up to where the wing meets the inner wing. Be amazed at how much countryside you find there. A hose or jetwash won't clear the shelf & the moist mud helps it rust through.

The short answer to your question is: if you have rust in any of these areas then the only way to fix it is to remove the wing first. Repairs in situ will just be a temporary bodge. You need to address the rear of the wing by removing old underseal & cleaning up the whole area, removing rotten sections & letting new metal in.

However, on removing the wing you may well find there are problems with the inner wings too.

You may well say "I'll get some new wings to put on". They are currently over £600 each including vat from the main dealer. Pattern ones aren't available. Second hand ones? See above unless you are very lucky. If it's any consolation, wings for a 70s/80s Merc SL are over £750 as are 911 Turbo wings.

This is what I found on what most people would describe as a mint 635! The more you dig, the more you find.

The wings are saveable but I bit the bullet & put new ones on.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

london635 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote london635 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 18:03
I was really after a recommendation of where to get it fixed up but thanks for the horror story.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2010 at 19:41
Sorry if I've scared you.

Forewarned is forearmed.

AndyS

alpina17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpina17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 12:16
Yes AndyS is all heart...but he speaks the truth...
caley64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caley64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 18:24
I know this ridge you speak of. I put my hand in there when I'm hosing the car down to make sure it is all clear of "countryside"
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 22:37
Yes, it's a good idea to keep it all clean.

It's worth removing the splash plates to clean out behind. There's a drain hole from the wiper motor bay that drains into this area - see the "birds nest" that's partially blocking mine. If it does block the water will build up before entering the cabin via the loom grommet.

You can see the area known as the "rifle butt". This forms a box section which extends under the outer wing mounting flange. It seems this flange wasn't painted in the factory - they just put mastic on, bolted the wing on & then primed & painted the lot. Fine until water gets under the mastic - thanks Karmann!

This is what happens when it does:

It could have been much worse!

At the front the wing support bracket can give trouble though this is easier to see & get to.

This is the right side:

Looks fine doesn't it?

The left side:

Not so pretty. The battery is on the other side of the panel & these areas always seem to rust. In the end, I had to cut out a "letterbox" slot with a Dremel & my mate made up a new bracket & backing plate. Not exactly concours standard but it did the job.

Edited by AndyS
AndyS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic