Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > Adverts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWTD - E36 318 tds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Its F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTD - E36 318 tds
    Posted: 26-January-2010 at 12:31

After suffering a couple of weeks of 30 per day fuel bills for the Range Rover I'm looking for a cheap E36 318 tds to lessen the load.

Bodywork condition not important. Prefer a touring. Its a sad day when your looking at MPG figures rather than BHP!

E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
Sponsored Links

Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2010 at 17:33

Here's one not a whole lot away from you.

Could be a complete dog or could be a relative gem (has FSH) with small money spent on it ?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1440697.htm

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2010 at 06:09
if you are after mpg then buy a Passat TDI estate.
I had one as a cheap runaround and it was doing 700mile+
to a tank! And it will outperform the 318 at any time.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2010 at 09:30
Sad but a Mondy oilburner is very good on fuel. The father in law has one, it has a bit of poke to it as well and is frugal to boot.
Failing the Passat, a Skoda Octavia diesel is the same in all but the badge for less money.

Wish my car was a bit better on petrol (24mpg) but that's what you get with a T5 so I wouldn't get one of those..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2010 at 11:25

Sandy, 318 tds isnt that frugal and certainly no poke. Not saying its the right choice for you, but i got an average of 41mpg from my 1.8 petrol mondy estate on a journey down to englandshire with 5 folk and 5 folks luggage. Solid dependable car, 6 airbags, aircon, 02 plate, 100k miles, 1600 quid.

Edited by coupe king
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 20:14
Believe it or not I got a very respectable 47.7mpg out of my old compact with a very light right foot on an economy run from Wolvo' to York one year. Never achieved it again.

I've found out that with small engined cars you have to rev the arse off them to get the same as a bigger engined car on tickover so on long runs the economy is roughly the same. Smaller cars come into their own when doing little stop/start journeys round town etc.

AFAIK the 318 tds is about 98bhp on a good day.

As an aside, you can always get friendly with your local chippie owner - take their old oil and convert it into bio-fuel
A mate did this in his works van, smelt like a chippie as well. Said if you use oil from the local Indian takeaway your car smells like its running on curry (he paid the duty btw)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 21:03
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

As an aside, you can always get friendly with your local chippie owner - take their old oil and convert it into bio-fuel
(he paid the duty btw)

Sorry to hijack, how much duty do you have to pay for making you own fuel?

alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 21:50
What sort of MPG you looking for?? Would have thought a 325TDS would be better? Big engine in light body and all that assuming its not been taxi'd or got a million miles on it.

My brother can get 37mpg in my E36 M3 where I can only achive mid 20's. Suppose he has lighter right boot than I do.

Alan.

big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Its F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 12:43

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

I'm looking for around 50 mpg however the car is being driven. Have been keeping an eye out for A4's and Passat 1.9 tdi's as they seem to fit the bill size wise and mpg.

Just considered the 318tds as I've got plenty E36 bits kicking around at home

The 740i does about 25-27 so really needs to be much more than that to make it worth my while gettin another car.

Edited by big pimpin
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic