Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedViscous Fan Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscous Fan Removal
    Posted: 27-January-2010 at 14:22

Chaps could anyone tell me how to remove the viscous fan off my e39 528i. I cant seem to get the nut which holds it onto the water pump loose. I have been smacking it as hard as i can clockwise, anti clockwise and any other way to get the thing loose. But no joy. In the worst case scenario is there a way to cut the fan off and then to remove the water pump and replace with a new one. Also could anyone reconfirm which way you hit the fan nut if you are standing infront of the car facing the engine. I have been using a 32mm open ended spanner and a 4lb mallet. I have even tried a 18 inch 3/4 inch cold chisel with no joy.

Cheers Imran

Sponsored Links

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 15:45
You will need:

1. Nice hot cup of tea!
2. One of these:   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viscous-Fan-Holding-Tool_W0QQitemZ1503 45198250QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item23014 5aaaa

The nut will be on a left hand thread, so if you're in front of the car facing the engine and the spanner is on the nut with the handle sticking up, you need the handle to move to the right.

A quick lazy google got this:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/119957

Best of luck!
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 16:34

The thread is left hand so you need to turn it the other way than normal to loosen it.

You need to read this thread when I replaced my water pump on my E39.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=25689&am p;KW=M52+Water

A pulley holding tool is indeed a godsend!  There should be a link to one in the above thread.

Don't take a chisel to your car!  You are doing something wrong if you having to hit a precision engineered car with a 2lb or 4lb lump hammer.  To quote James May "a hammer is a tool of a pikey" there is always an appropriate tool to do the job.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
straight_6 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 17:17

lads thanks for the info, ill get on it straight away and see if the nut will move. ill keep you posted.

cheers Imran.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 17:44
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

To quote James May "a hammer is a tool of a pikey" there is always an appropriate tool to do the job.

A deadblow? 

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 17:57

Lads thanks once again worth your weight in gold. I've just gone out and opened the nut without the need for the precision tool . The fan came off without any problems. I need to sort out the extended problems which i may have caused to save any problems further on down the line. Due to the impact forces which I subjected my pride and joy, is it wise to change the following as a matter of course:-

new viscous fan coupling

new water pump (metal impeller)

Thermostat as its accessible.

Cheers once again. Imran

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 17:59

Forgot to mention where is the best place to get a replacement crank sensor as mine is playing up and hence why i needed to get the fan off the car. I know Siemens are the original brand for my car is there any difference between the brands of sensor. 

Cheers Imran

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 18:08
I doubt you'll have harmed the coupling.  If your water pump has a plastic impeller then change it, and the thermostat might as well get done I suppose (I did mine the other week while I was replacing the annoying plastic housing, which had split).

Can't really comment on cps's, but I'm sure others will!  I tend to think after all that effort it's prob worth getting an oem part, but each to their own.

PS I get my bits from motormec (all oem), others use GFS and ECP as well.

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2010 at 19:41

To quote James May "a hammer is a tool of a pikey" there is always an appropriate tool to do the job.

LOL, priceless Andrew, I like it!!

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 08:23
Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

LOL, priceless Andrew, I like it!!

Um unless of course you are needing to install a nail!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 12:20
Or you're working on a landrover...

A mate who has a 110 likes to tell the story of how we fitted his steering guard with two sledgehammers, and used a pinch bar as a slide hammer to break the gearbox off.  When I had my disco I had one box full of clever little gadgets and 3/8 and 1/4 socketry for the beemer, and another box which was empty except for some 3/4 sockets, a breaker bar and a pile of lumphammers for the landrover...

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 21:41

I knew i was gonna get a beasting for using the hammer, anyway manged to get the new crank sensor in place without the use of a hammer, started the car and no problems, took it out for a drive and runs great. Just one thing do i need to get the ecu reset as sometimes the idle is a little lumpy on startup for a couple of seconds then smooths out. Or will it take the ecu a while to reset itself.

Cheers Imran.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic