Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMOT failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOT failure
    Posted: 27-January-2010 at 19:35

The time came and for the first time in my 5.5 year ownership, I have my first proper MOT failure. In the past it's been bulbs not orange enough or bushes. This year my good fortune has ended. It couldn't come at a worse time either because I have still to catch up a bit from Christmas, my sons birthday party organised and still to pay for then this so I'm really penny pinching at the moment.

Help and opinons appreciated on the following please.

1. Emissions failed on the natural idle test. The CO2 should be less than 0.5% but wouldn't go below 0.65% It has a slight misfire which I'm putting down to the breather valve at the back of the manifold. (yes all right I know, I was meant to do it ages ago!!) so fingers crossed that will do the trick and for £40 it's worth going with that.

2. Both headlamps aiming too high even on the lowest suspension. Looks like I could tweek the aim though I know they not manual adjusters but is there a way to adjust them at all?

3. N/S front coil spring slightly fractured. Speaks for itself, general wear and tear I guess. BMW want £75, Anyone know what the O.E. manufacturer. I have to weigh up between quality and price so I'll have to suck it and see.

4. Front brakes imbalanced. I have felt a pull to the left sometimes but with the way some of the roads are around here and the fact it didn't happen all the time I just assumed it was down to the camber/tracks in the road but the imbalance was 30% which I think is quite high.

4.1 Front N/S brake pad below wear limit. I'm thinking this is tied in with the uneven brakes but why is one side wearing quicker? Could I have a seized caliper. I'm hoping to strip it out on Saturday and get someone to clean the calper sliders while I'm doing the pads so I'm hoping that will cure that issue but any other suggestions and input welcomed. I'm assuming the wear sensor must be on the O/S then which is why the light hasn't come on!

I also have advisories on rear subframe bushes. I bought some ages ago but haven't got round to fitting them yet as I think there is a special tool required. Anyone done their own (I have the m-tech suspension) And both front strust 'slightly reduced damping effect' £235 EACH from stealers OUCH!!!!

Lets just say the wedding anniversary won't be celebrated this year except maybe a pint and that's about it .

I'm off to pour myself a strong drink!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 08:40

Did you not have bother with your emissions last year too?

One consolation is that £75 for a spring from BMW is a very good price.  Vauxhall wanted £250 for a pair of springs and would only sell them as a pair for my old Sennie. Eurocar parts will be able to tell you which is the OEM spring.

Might be lucky and just need new pads or at worst you could have a siezed caliper which will be priceyish I would think.  That would explain the uneven pad wear.  Can you get a caliper overhaul kit?  This would just be seals but that could be all you need to free it up again.  Would save £££s but me more difficult to fit.

Brake cleaning may help you squeak thru the MOT. 

Are your front struts failures or advisory?  If they are advisory you may get away with it for another year.

Man, I feel for your wallet......

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
garrybhoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 09:37

Your headlamps are adjustable, both up and down and sise to side,if you look at the top of th elight unit you will see a an allen socket shaped hole...thats for adjusting....brakes just sound like u need to strip clean and lube then fresh pads, emmisions....when did it last get plugs and filters? another top tip just before retest, go and kick the sh*t out of it, amazing how that changes the readings.

Hope this helps

2012 F10 M5
2009 E60 550i A M Sport(Sold)
2012 F30 320i A M Sport XDrive
2003 BMW R1150 Rockster(Sold)
2008 SLK350 Edition 10(Sold)
1990 Astra GTE 16V Resto Project
2003 Berlingo Van
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 10:33
Emmissions - your lambda sensor could be on the way out ?
E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2010 at 12:15
Oh dear! Quite a list but hopefully nothing too awful there.

For emissions, do the PCV and plugs (if they're old) and give it a really, REALLY good thrashing - bounce it off the limiter in 1st and 2nd (not third obviously, as that would be reckless and illegal).  Can your place test the emissions for you?  If so then you will be able to tell.  Lambda sensors would be next (£25 each for generics) but after that it might get costly...

You can adjust your headlights thru the holes in the front grill with a philips.  If the motors are gone then bin them and fit bolts and springs to save cash.

Ask motormec about springs and shocks, they'll know the OEM.  Beware aftermarket mtech springs - they didn't fit the top mounts when I tried them ages ago (think I tried eibachs).   Shocks will be sachs/boge; new oem inserts shouldn't be too much (can't remember how much but I did mine last year).

Advisories schmadvisaries!  Leave the bushes for the summer.  I did my own and made my own puller out of some tube and bolts and plates, but it was a pita.  Got pix somewhere, I'll look them out.

Best of luck, you're in for a bit of spending at the worst time of year, but hopefully not too much.  I sympathise tho - I spent hundreds on mine last month, doing nothing much - plugs, thermostat and housing, PCV, sump pan, oil change, filters and headlight lenses.

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2010 at 20:53
Yes I did have issues with emissions last year and the year before but as my car gets tested at my work the guys usually have a little play with anything minor to scrape it through, had to get my cats red hot last year (they were glowing and burnt the paint on the floor!) and then it only just got through. This year it was a little more out and VOSA were in the building keeping a beady eye so no chance to have a play this time. Not a bad thing though, it's about time I got around to doing the valve. The guy at beemers gave me two gaskets (by mistake, only 1 on the invoice) the PCV and the bolts for £42 so I can't really complain. I'm going to have a go tomorrow.
Plugs were done at the last service so I know they are ok.

I also have the pads, Textar, £36 all in. The brakes have only just started to be a noticable issue and don't seem to do it all the time so I'm hoping the caliper just needs a good clean up. I also haven't had a brake fluid change the whole time I've had the car so that will get done too.

I suppose £75 for s spring isn't too bad, I guess when I added it all together it scared me a bit. I also know that two of my tyres are only just 2mm as well so new ones of them soon. I'll get it through the MOT first though and sort the tyres next month. Hopefully then I'll have a bigger smile on my face once it's all done. I'm sure the car will feel better too.

Thanks for all your replies chaps. I'll let you know how I get on!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
mikesmith2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesmith2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 09:54
It is recommended to replace both springs on the front at
the same time.

Trust me if one breaks you will not be going anywhere
except on the back of a recovery truck.

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 10:40
Yes I know it is recommended to replace both springs at the same time but my wallet says no. It's either that or off road the car for a couple of months which would mean no transport to work!

For those who have done the PCV valve, I assume the recess for the gasket is on the manifold?

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 13:20
Yeah the gasket fits into the manifold.  It's unfeasibly deep but hooks out easily enough.

There's lots of horror stories about the PCV but it's an easy enough job, just leave plenty of time for seized/rounded bolts and ensure a good supply of T35 keys, bits and sockets .     I found that a T35 bit in a 3/8 drive socket worked just fine, though a long reach bit was useful for a couple of the bolts.  The allen-key-like tools are less useful as they tend to cockle when you're in a tight space (and the bolts have stupidly shallow heads, just for extra annoyance).  On mine six out of seven came out easily and the seventh was rounded off inside (by someone else, grr), and that necessitated butchering the PCV with hacksaw and soldering iron to get vice grips onto the bolt.

There are also stories of taking the manifold off, which should be a real last resort!  I think I took off the engine cover,  expansion tank and heater in/out Y pipe, and that's about it.

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 15:24
I have just realised my worst nightmare. All bolts except 1 came out fine, the one right at the bottom. I tried to pry the valve out a little to see if I could lever it enough to saw around the bottom of the valve, then "CRACK"  the mating face of the manifold has a crack about 10mm long. I nearly cried. I am hoping some decent sealant can sort it but it's put the end to my antics and my car is now off the road. Not happy at all. 

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 16:39
Oh bugger!  

I know how you feel - I was close to levering mine too, only a stern look from my mate convinced me not to!  A 10mm crack should seal up ok tho, shouldn't it?  As for getting the PCV off, iirc there's that big tube at the bottom - you could try melting that away with a soldering iron?  That worked for me, tho in my case it was the bolt in the NS bottom corner...

Hope you get it solved anyway.  Bloody plasticky bits eh!

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 18:55
Well we have some really good mastic sealer at work which I'll use so I'm 95% sure it will be ok. As for getting the valve off, I'm now either going to leave it to my mechanic or melt the bugger!!

I have a van for work for the time being. Luckily my boss is one of the good ones and is always heppy to help out!

Hopefully the next news I bring will be good!

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2010 at 08:26

Oh no!

Breaking stuff is a nightmare on cars!  I sheared the caliper cradle to steering knuckle bolts on my Senator as the ends of the bolt threads protruded out of the knuckle and had 10 years of rust on them so they seized solid and sheared.  Had to get a new steering knuckle, bearing, ABS sensor and lower wishbone as more stuff broke on removal.

We've all done it...

Not good.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2010 at 17:34
we certainly have!

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 20:29

Well I have had one of the mechanics from work here tonight and he agreed, the bolt is not going to budge. I've even borrowed a bolt rescue tool which is like a rifled spline which twists so when you tap it onto the head it grips and tightens around it as you turn it. The problem being is the socket is interfered with by the ally pipe housing just below it stopping you getting square onto the bolt which is why I think it rounded in the first place.

The next port of call is manifold off. Looks like the injectors have to come out too. Has anyone taken the manifold off and anyone got a quick 1, 2, 3 guide as to how it goes? Chances are I'm not going to do it but I'll get my car mechanic from work to do it.

I did try putting the valve back on but it runs rough as hell now as the gasket and valve is more damaged now so I can't even limp it to work.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2010 at 20:59
Bugger.  I did see a web page about doing the manifold but can't find it... Didn't look too bad but fairly time-consuming and you'll have to replace all the gaskets.

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 21:21

Just to update. One of the techs from work is swinging by my house tomorrow morning and hooking my car up to one of the break down vans and towing me to work. Once there another mechanic is going to attempt the bolt and if no luck he will start stripping it tomorrow evening. Once he's got it apart I'll order what needs ordering and he can put it back together. I know I'll need the manifild gaskets (£38 from local factor) but will I also need injector seals (£2 each x 16 from BMW!!!!!!)?????  After that, the brakes and spring will need doing. The good thing is, the guy doing the work said I can pay him when the cash is a bit more freely available. One big advantage of working in a garage! I think I owe a few guys a few drinks after all this!

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2010 at 10:32

Good luck. Sounds like a pig of a job.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Good luck. Sounds like a pig of a job.

Yeah, for Mike's tame mechanic! 

(sorry - the bitterness of an al fresco gutter-groveller whose car only ever breaks when it's snowing)

E34 535iS

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2010 at 20:01

Car was towed this morning. It's quite un-nerving following a van from 6 foot away doing 40mph!  Car is being stripped tonight and I'm taking the valve off tomorrow then hopefully back together either Saturday or Monday.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic