Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSaw another BMW today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saw another BMW today
    Posted: 29-January-2010 at 22:40
http://tinyurl.com/ygbpswx

Went to see this BMW 325 today. From the advert it sounded nice. One owner from new FSH, reasonable spec except for the lack of leather and a nice price.

However in the flesh it wasn't so good. It was getting ever so slightly scabby around all 4 arches, there were half a dozen or so stone chips that had not been sorted that were developing into small scabs, the front driver side wing had a dent in it as did the front of the bonnet. The sunroof didn't tilt, the drivers door handle on the outside worked when it felt like it, passenger wing mirror glass didn't move, both front windows were slow to rise and the passenger one juddered a bit, the passenger door wouldn't stay open and all 4 alloys needed a refurb.

However the salesman assured me these issues could be sorted and said I should check out the paper work.

It got worse. One owner became 2 and all the old MOTs simply let me know that the history was very suspect as dates and milage on at least 3 of the services didn't tally with the MOTs. Some of the stamps looked a little bit strange as well and I could have sworn the last two stamps were done at the same time. The signature was identical and the ink looked the same age.

I walked needless to say.

On the upside the climate blew ice cold

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2010 at 21:28
lol, that's usually one of the first things not to work!
I have to say though, as a testament to the marque, I once had an e34 530ise which in my blikered lust for the sporty lowered suspension and nice 18 inch Momo alloys, I failed to check the paperwork properly and found the car has done over 100,000 miles between one MOT (maybe a second hand speedo head?) but then when the leather from the gearknob started to peel off (had been stuck back down previously) and I noticed the steering wheel VERY smooth, and to top it all off in the centre console and side of the console, lots of small screw holes like where a CB radio had once been mounted. I came to the conclusion my car was a thrashed ex taxi. However, as I'd shelled 2k out for it I was determined to soldier on. In my 2 years of ownership she only failed one MOT and that was one a bulb and tyre and the only problem I ever had in that time was when hot it took a few cranks to get her to start. After 2 years of very happy motoring, I part ex'd her for my current 540. The guy knocked £1500 off so I only lost £500 on a very worn out car in 2 years!

On another note, my brother was a bit of a car 'bully' so to speak. He had a 320ise for 10 years. He never once did any servicing on it and the only time it ever let him down was when the battery had an internal short and exploded in his boot. The oil got the odd top up when it eventually got low and he went through many brakes and tyres because he thrashed the hell out of it. When he came to part with it after 10 years of abuse, the guy gave it a thorough check over, said the oil looked good! and the whole car was tight and clean as a whistle.
My brother then bought a VW golf V5 which he has had endless problems with. Needless to say he regrets getting rid of the beemer and his next car will probably be one too!

Just goes to show, even the abused ones can have plenty of fight left in them though I can totally see why you let this one go. I bet the guy who had it before had lots of good use out of it though!

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2010 at 08:40
100k between MOTs 

Thats some use!

I forgot to mention the car had obvioulsy been parked under a tree because there was loads of leave under the bonnet!
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic