Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEverything comes in 3’s!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everything comes in 3’s!
    Posted: 23-February-2010 at 21:10

So I'm waiting for number 3!

1. The airbag and seatbelt warning light comes on every time I start the car with the "Restraint system malfunction" error.

2. 2 days later, I get the yellow triangle with the circle round it saying "DSC fault, drive with caution" error. No other errors to go along with it, so I have no idea which bit is faulty! 

I've tried the usual tricks like disconnecting the battery, but problem 1 persists, and problem 2 goes away after an alarm on/off, but has re-appeared a few times since.

As it happens the car's going in to have the filters changed on Friday, so I've got myself an extra large tube of KY in preparation!

Wish me luck!!

Alan   

2005 E60 545i Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 08:34

Hi Alan

I've had the second fault twice now in two years in 26,000 miles.  Like you say it goes away after locking and unlocking the car.   I just put that down to electrical gremlins that were so prevalent in the E39.  The last time it happened was in a car park that had loose gravel on it, I started the car and drove off over lthe oose gravel with full lock so the front end ran wide slightly and I'm thinking that the system never got to figure out the norm (a sort of self reset on starting) as it was confused with the strange movement of the car so soon after starting.

Air bags and seatbelt warning will need a diagnostic check.

How is the battery condition?

Low battery power can play havoc with the E60.  When my first one had a battery drain I got all sorts of weird and wonderful messages on the IDrive when the AA jump started me including air bar warnings and worringly automatic transmission warning lights.

On the filters, where are you getting that done and for how much?  Mine need doing in 3,800 miles time but I would rather do it myself.

Let me know how you get on

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 09:25

Hi Andrew, I'm pretty sure that battery's in good condition, but time will tell. It certainly doesn't seem to struggle to start the car at any time and this problem started on a drive down to Newcastle on Monday morning - it happened about 4 or 5 times during to trip down and maybe 2 or 3 on the return, so it had a bit of a long run to get it charged to tip top condition.

My one concern that I forgot to mention was that my brother-in-law was trying to replace the rear bushes at the weekend and despite his best efforts, he was unable to get them out without the special tool, so I'm wondering if maybe he's maybe caused the ABS sensor or some other sensor to become partially dislodged during his battering with a large hammer?

On the subject of the special rear bush removing tool, does anybody have one that I could borrow/rent/buy, as I don't want to fork out nearly £300 for the stealer to do it for me, when all it needs is the correct tool.

I've been quoted £106 for the filter work, which is a fair bit for what is essentialy a straight forward job, but the closeness of the garage and my work schedule make it "nearly" worth it!

Thanks

Alan

Edited by alanm_3
2005 E60 545i Sport
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 09:59
Hi Alan. Try Mtek in Rutherglen if you are Glasgow based. They did back pads and sensors on my 545 for £115. They are well equipped and have all the kit to decode and fix faults. Way cheaper than Hairbrains.
Who needs petrol anyway...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 10:09

Hmm if it happened so often then it sounds a bit more serious than the sporadic nature of mine.

You could have up set the sensor by hitting something near by with a large hammer.

What bush was it you were replacing then?

£106 for two filters!!!!  It's a couple of plastic bolts which twist thru 90deg then you lift the filter out.  Carbon filters from Eurocar parts are £24.61 each

So I'm paying BMW over £50 to reset the sodding IDrive, um no thanks.  I can do that myself.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 10:10

Hi Ken, I've been in touch with these guys before, but Rutherglen's a bit away from my place, which makes it hard to get the car to them, leave it, get home and then get to work, hence my sufferance of Hairbrains (I like that!!)

I'll give them a call and see what they say about the faults I have.

cheers

Alan

2005 E60 545i Sport
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 10:46

Just spoke with the guys at Mtek and explained all my problems.

£180 to replace the rear ball joints (the ones at the back of the hub carrier) with the parts I supply.

The warnings could be something expensive (most likely knowing my luck), or nothing more than a bad connection on a sensor, and after explaining the attempt at removing the ball joint, a possible bad connection/split wire/damaged ABS sensor on the wheel which was subjected to a (modest) battering!

All will be revealed by the magic box on Monday when I let them loose on it.

They also suggested doing a full geometry set up after the rear work for a "modest" £75.

Looks like the family will go hungry this month!

2005 E60 545i Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 12:17

If you replace the rear arm (it appears that the ball joint is not available as a seperate item) then yes you will need the full four wheel alignment done as you are disturbing the eccentric nuts/bolts which control the alignment.

I got a full four wheel alignment done for £65 so your £75 isn't too bad. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 14:04
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

If you replace the rear arm (it appears that the ball joint is not available as a seperate item) then yes you will need the full four wheel alignment done as you are disturbing the eccentric nuts/bolts which control the alignment.

I got a full four wheel alignment done for £65 so your £75 isn't too bad. 

You can buy the ball joint separately. I think you may have misread the bit on realeom (as I did) that says it "can only be supplied in conjunction with item (3)", this is the slip ring, which I got when I bought them. I'm talking about replacing item (2) on that link.

cheers

Alan

Edited by alanm_3
2005 E60 545i Sport
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 14:06

Hmm if it happened so often then it sounds a bit more serious than the sporadic nature of mine.

You could have up set the sensor by hitting something near by with a large hammer.

What bush was it you were replacing then?

£106 for two filters!!!!  It's a couple of plastic bolts which twist thru 90deg then you lift the filter out.  Carbon filters from Eurocar parts are £24.61 each

So I'm paying BMW over £50 to reset the sodding IDrive, um no thanks.  I can do that myself.

Just went ouside and reset the iDrive. I'll get the filters when the snow stops!

2005 E60 545i Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 14:43
Originally posted by alanm_3 alanm_3 wrote:

You can buy the ball joint separately. I think you may have misread the bit on realeom (as I did) that says it "can only be supplied in conjunction with item (3)", this is the slip ring, which I got when I bought them. I'm talking about replacing item (2) on that link.

I thought you were meaning part 19 not part 2.

Part 2 would be a right pain in the sit down bits to sort.

If you were replacing part 2 you wouldn't need to get a full four wheel alignment done though I wouldn't have thought.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 15:08
Most ABS/Speed sensors don't like heavy vibrations from hammers. I accidently dameged one of Stephs on her e36 when doing a trailing arm swap and the light came on. So I'd say its new sensor time.  
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 16:38

Originally posted by vpricey vpricey wrote:

Most ABS/Speed sensors don't like heavy vibrations from hammers. I accidently dameged one of Stephs on her e36 when doing a trailing arm swap and the light came on. So I'd say its new sensor time.  

Fingers crossed it's something so simple!

2005 E60 545i Sport
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 16:40

I thought you were meaning part 19 not part 2.

Part 2 would be a right pain in the sit down bits to sort.

If you were replacing part 2 you wouldn't need to get a full four wheel alignment done though I wouldn't have thought.

That's what I had though, but seeing that a lot of bits need to be removed to drop the lower suspension mounting to get at it, maybe it's as well to get it done.

2005 E60 545i Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 18:01

I would get a diagnostic check done on the ABS system before assuming that a sensor that may have suffered vibration is at fault.  You need the diagnostic check for the airbag anyhoo.

Let us know how you get on.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 18:39

No, we aren't jumping to any premature conclusions. The guys at Mtek will do the full check rather than concentrate on a duff (well damaged) ABS sensor.

Decided it might be time for a warranty before anything else goes up the swanny!!!

2005 E60 545i Sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 18:48

When mine fell out of BMW warranty at the end of March 2009, BMW wanted over £700 for a single years warranty.

So far in the 11 months the car has been out of warranty I have needed one repair which cost me less than £200, which would have been covered by the £700 warranty, so the way I see it is that I'm £500 up.

I would be interested to hear how much a warranty costs you.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2010 at 19:01

Warranty direct are offering their SecureCare cover for £55 per month. It seems to cover most things, but there's a 90 exclusion period from the day the policy starts.

2005 E60 545i Sport
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2010 at 09:24
I think Mtek are calling themselves something else now, but I have to say I was very happy with what they did for my car,(ref M3Cecotto post).
They had the full diagnostic kit, reset my fault codes, and things worked that didn't before! They're just a wee bit far from Troon, same problem as you, Alan, otherwise I would have no problem using them.
Who needs petrol anyway...
alanm_3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanm_3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2010 at 09:44

They're still called Mtek, so fingers crossed thay do the needfull.

Got a call from Warranty Direct after getting a quote on their website. I know it's bullsh1t, but they said since it was coming towards the end of the month they were pushing hard for sales, so they offered to cover my car under their top level, also including air-bags and MOT emissions failure, which is normally extra, with all work carried out at BMW dealer workshops for £620 per year......

Sounds like a decent deal to me based on what others have been quoted 

2005 E60 545i Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic