Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA couple of gremlins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2010 at 20:13

Took off a pipe that runs along the front of the engine from just under the throttle housing and goes along to the accumulater down the n/s/f. The pipe seemed to have a small nick in it where I think it's been rubbing. I sealed it up with a few wraps of duck tape and checked the rubber pipes and hose clips. All is ok but still the hard pedal. Tomorrow I'm going to take the other pipe off that goes from the accumulator to the master cylinder in the hope that I'll find something conclusive there.

Getting really fed up now

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

bulletproofbomb View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletproofbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2010 at 08:34
Mike,
The pipe you have just described is the one that goes to the evaporative emissions canister. It is controlled by a valve unit, and that valve can fail leading to poor running.
Have you checked realoem or similar with your actual VIN number?
It is not infallible, but may throw up something useful.
I will have a look at the 530T at the weekend and see if the extra vacuum gubbins is fitted as shown in realoem, as it may offer a clue.

e34 540iT 6-speed
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 20:42

Right, finally the end of one conundrum <spelling?)  I am now very sure what the hissing noise is and why it's only just started. The pipe my mechanic thought went along with the dash wiring and under the carpet is a red herring!  There is a pipe and it does run behind the glovebox but it goes behind a metal plate then seems to come out the other side (as my mechanic thought) but with my bony little fingers, I managed to feel along the pipe and realised it turns downwards at 90 degrees then swells into a rubber dome about 1 inch across. The 'pipe' coming out the other side is actually electrical sheathing for some wires which also run along the same route as the pipe but nothing to do with it in any shape or form.

So back to the rubber dome, this sits directly above an opening which comes out behind the glovebox. The opening is making a hissing noise which when I cover it stops!  if I remember correctly, it's something to do with the climate control and measures the air temp in the car?

The pipe that BPB mentions is blanked off on his car (lack of climate control?), on my car it's one of the old perished pipes that I replaced and it goes into the bulkhead directly behind the glovebox! I therefore assume that there is a unit which uses the vacuum to suck in air so that it can measure the temperature to allow it to control the temp inside the car.

It's just started hissing because it was obviously not working at all before due to lack of vacuum but I'm now wondering if the pipe I took off which had something stuck in it was acting as a restriction or muffler and so wasn't so loud?

Now with that sorted and knowing my brakes are not linked to the hissing I can turn my full attention to the brakes. Now as you mention it BPB, the pipe I  described does have a little sort of valve unit on the end of it. I'll have a look on realoem and see if I can spot it to cast more theories in to the mix.

Together, we'll get to the bottom of this.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 21:33

E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 21:33

E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 21:37

For some reason once I upload the pics I can't write below them so apologies for the wasted space. Anyway, though difficult to get to, I'm fairly sure I can ID most of the stuff on here as being fitted to my car. The only bit I cannot find is the pipe I mention and the bit on the end you mentioned BPB. Any ideas on what it may come under? I have searched all the brakes unless it's listed elsewhere?

Any other ideas of what to check as most of these pipes are fairly well covered so may involve stripping other things out to get to it all.

I'll try and get her up on a ramp this week and see if it's any easier to see from underneath.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletproofbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2010 at 08:04
Mike,
I think you need to take a picture of what is on your car so we have somewhere to start, because it sounds as if it might be unusual.

My car has full climate control.

I think the dome you refer to is just the back side of the large grommet to seal the firewall where the cables go through.
I had a feeling that there was something that sucked a bit of air for climate-control purposes, and thought I had mentioned it before, butmaybe not.
The non-climate heater-control panels have a little fan that blows over the temperature sensor behind the temperature knob, so it is all internal.

When I fixed my manifold leak there seemed to be a new hissing noise from somewhere but in my case it seemed to be down by by the clutch pedal somewhere. I worried for a bit and then it seemed to go (It was only very slight).

The 530iT does not have any of the extra vacuum system gubbins that realoem shows it to, so that is a realoem red-herring in this case.

The pictures you have uploaded are of the hydraulic accumulator and plumbing for the brake/steering hydraulics.
I wouldn't advise you start breaking more connections, and also think they will be unrelated.

The part I am talking about is the evaporative emissions canister and plumbing. It has a mixture of rigid and flexible pipes so scope for cracks and elaks and the solenoid can stick.
You can find it in .....=>Fuel supply=>Vent

Is the engine running smoothly now, or is there still an symptom other than the hissing noise?

Good luck!

e34 540iT 6-speed
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2010 at 19:44

Well it's funny you should say that because I looked at the fuel vent today and took it off. There was some thick sticky yellow goo on the plug and when you blow through that valve it sort of rattles like if you were blowing a thick liquid through a straw.

I wonder if this could be at fault then?

Those pics above are of the brake accumulator and pressure regulator so I thought if any of the seals on these have been disturbed there may be a small leak somewhere.

So this fuel vent valve could be a possibility then?

I'll see if I can take a pic of the thing I mention in my dash that is hissing.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2010 at 14:10
I think all the brake stuff is purely hydraulic, so none of that would cause your hissing.

bpb, what does the full-climate-control panel look like?  I thought the systems were basically the same behind the panel.  Mine has the three knobs and three sliders and I think it has a fan for the temp sensor.

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletproofbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2010 at 18:33
JSW- You are correct regarding the braking system.
Climate Control has one horizontal dial each side to set the temperature, and one in the middle to control the fan. There are three push-buttons under each temperature dial to select flow out top/ auto/ footwell and push-buttons to select defrost/aircon on/recirculating flow.
No sliders.
Vehicles with aircon have the standard three knobs and three sliders, along with the aircon button.

Edited by bulletproofbomb
e34 540iT 6-speed
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletproofbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2010 at 19:59
Mike, If you don't have aircon, I think the temperature sensor has air drawn over it by a vacuum line rather than a fan, so that might be worth checking.

e34 540iT 6-speed
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 20:36

I cleaned the vent valve and even bridged it out of the circuit which made abosolutely no difference so I have now eliminated that.

I have aircon (though BMW said it doesn't show on their system so perhaps a retrofit?) and the pipe I mentioned that goes from PCV valve through the bulkhead is definatley something to do with the heater because as it comes through the bulkhead it seems to connect into a small plastic cylinder which has two rubber pipes coming off it. One goes to the drivers side and the other to the passenger side and they both seem to run into the heater housing. When I spoke to a guy at BMW today and I started to tell him about the vacumm pipes coming through the bulkhead pipes, he finished my sentance and said 'the ones for the heater' and he confirmed what I'd found. I also tried pitting the small restrictor back on the pipe where it comes out of the PCV valve and it still works fine but the hissing has gone.

That eliminated, I still have the braking issue. I have now traced all the pipes along from the accumulator to the pressure regulator and the the mastercylinder. They are all very thick and hard rubber or metal and none look perished or loose in any way. Apart from taking it all apart (which BPB swerved me away from and quite right too!) I'm at a total loss.

I really can't afford checking it into a garage but I'm going to do some sniffing, persuading and even begging to get anyone who knows these cars to tell me all they know! I've worked in the motor trade for 13 years, I'm sure I must have a connection somewhere that can tell me something!

I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow to show you which bits I've done what to in the hope it may shed some new light on something.

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2010 at 20:27

I have shown the vacuum pipe I have been on about all this time! You can see it coming from the PCV valve and it loops under a water pipe then into a grommet in the bulkhead. (PIC 1)

In the second picture you can see the other side of where the pipe comes through, into a plastic tubular housing where two vacuum pipes come out, one goes off to the drivers side and the other is shown in the third picture as routing along to the dome shaped rubber (hidden but outlined in red in pic 4) then you can see the opening where the pipe sucks from.

E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2010 at 20:27

E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2010 at 20:28

E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic