Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked6 stroke engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 stroke engine
    Posted: 01-March-2010 at 21:29

Could this be the engine of the future?

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-six-stroke-engine

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 10:44
The main drawback I see is that you would have to fill up with water and fuel. With water shortages worldwide, I can't see an extra huge demand being practicable unless it could be recovered from the exhaust.
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 18:49

Check out this 5 stroke engine design. Engine research has come a long long way. And we thought we had it all when we got the VANUSbiglaugh

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/08/five-stroke-engine/

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 21:53
Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

The main drawback I see is that you would have to fill up with water and fuel. With water shortages worldwide, I can't see an extra huge demand being practicable unless it could be recovered from the exhaust.

And what happens in winter when it all freezes up?
Also I reckon exhausts will rust faster.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 23:19
Passing water through an engine has no adverse effects on an internal combustion engines whatsoever. The process of combustion in for example a petrol engine creates very very close to 1 liter of water for every liter of petrol burned. So where does this water go? When the engine is cold it drips from the tail pipe. Most people that see the water dripping think it is petrol. Modern vehicles have more thought put into the design of the back silencer box to prevent this dripping onto the ground - we cannot have our shiny new BMW dripping dirty black carbonated water onto our textured driveway now can we. When the engine begins to warm up it leaves the tail pipe as visible steam. Take out the thermostat and visible steam will be emitted from the tail pipe all the time in cold weather. When the engine reaches optimum temperature the steam becomes invisible but it is still there. It is this water vapour that rots mild steel exhaust systems on vehicles. Stainless steel exhaust systems solve this problem. Problems with water freezing can be easily solved and as for a shortage of water - im sure that the engine can have a water recovery system using condensers and evaporators to reduce the loss of distilled water injected.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic