Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedScrappage and classics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scrappage and classics
    Posted: 02-March-2010 at 10:08

I’m researching an article on the scrappage scheme and its impact on classic cars, future classics and other unusual cars. Are many people being tempted by the lure of €1,500 to scrap their much loved older cars? Anyone heard of any such cars falling prey to the crusher’s jaws?

Any input appreciated!

Kilian

Edited by nailik
Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 10:39
I've heard indirectly of late 1990's immaculate and well specced 728i's, Omegas, V70s, etc., heading for the crusher. I'd say anything over 2 litres and petrol is at risk.
nailik View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 10:58
It seems such a shame, doesn't it? 
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 15:41

T'is a real shame, yes, luverly big barges like you say, 728i's and Omega's getting turned into baked bean cans.

Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

I'd say anything over 2 litres and petrol is at risk.

I'd say we should be crushing anything that is under 2 litres and all size of diesel cars so that only decent cars are left!

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 18:21

I've heard indirectly of late 1990's immaculate and well specced 728i's, Omegas, V70s, etc., heading for the crusher. I'd say anything over 2 litres and petrol is at risk.

No harm done those 2 heading to the crusher.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 18:51

owning an e34 540touring I can say whole heartly No  I'm not tempted at all.

In fact I restore the sills/exhausts etc at the moment and take here for the od track day.

Think the whole idea is laughable and only shows how useless the gov is. (A certain renault monkey springs to mind who shouts loud and hey presto we get a sceme that takes more money out of the country) 

Edited by beemerchris
Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2010 at 21:48
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Tell you what, I drive an 850 T5 estate and a mate has just bought a V70 2.4 estate - it was supposed to be a temporary car till he got something else but he's getting rather attached to it. I can't fault my 850 (predecessor to the V70) and it will see off most other cars around, is very comfortable and can carry huge loads with ease.

I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new car, if I had the cash I'd have a demo car or an 18 month old one. You probably loose more than 2k in depreciation between handing over the cash and taking the keys to a new car anyway - so is the scrapage scheme worth it?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 11:24
E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 16:25
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Tell you what, I drive an 850 T5 estate and a mate has just bought a V70 2.4 estate - it was supposed to be a temporary car till he got something else but he's getting rather attached to it. I can't fault my 850 (predecessor to the V70) and it will see off most other cars around, is very comfortable and can carry huge loads with ease.

I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new car, if I had the cash I'd have a demo car or an 18 month old one. You probably loose more than 2k in depreciation between handing over the cash and taking the keys to a new car anyway - so is the scrapage scheme worth it?

Is the scrappage scheme worth it?

Well, to dealers and the Motor trade yes, to people who chose to do down the scrappage route yes, or they would not do it, to the scrap dealers, yes .

But there are example of cars out there that I would not like to see being scapped and then there are those that I would not give a second thought to them being crushed, the two in this example fall into the latter. Especially the Omegas, but that is just my opinion, sorry if you do not like it, I'm sure your Volvo is a fine car, just not for me.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 17:20

You probably loose more than 2k in depreciation between handing over the cash and taking the keys to a new car anyway - so is the scrapage scheme worth it?

Exactly, of course it's not worth it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 17:28
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

You probably loose more than 2k in depreciation between handing over the cash and taking the keys to a new car anyway - so is the scrapage scheme worth it?

That measure of being 'worth it' is not exlusive to the scrappage scheme though is it guys. The depreication that you speak of would apply regardless of any scrappage scheme.

taffyjones View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffyjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 19:13

Hi Guys,

I only bought one new one and it was a waste of time. I would never buy a new one again. I am happy with my 1978 e12 520/6 and my 1996 e36 316i coupe. I can trust them more than a new one. Also they look and drive wonderfull. I would never scrap them, it would be better to fix and keep them on the road. ERIC.

"BMW are cool"
My first real car. Only BMW from now on, a dream to drive.
1978 e12 520 32 years old
1995 e34 518i (SOLD).
1996 e36 316i coupe.
Member: BMW CC (UK).
Irish Region Member.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 08:16

That measure of being 'worth it' is not exlusive to the scrappage scheme though is it guys. The depreication that you speak of would apply regardless of any scrappage scheme.

You are quite right, I had meant buying any new car will suffer from the initial depreciation.  The only way to buy a brand new car is if you plan on keeping it for 10 years.  Unless of course you have more money than sense and loosing handfuls of cash is not a problem.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 16:27

You are quite right, I had meant buying any new car will suffer from the initial depreciation.  The only way to buy a brand new car is if you plan on keeping it for 10 years.  Unless of course you have more money than sense and loosing handfuls of cash is not a problem.

In which case you don't need to trade your old car in and would probably give it to a son/daughter/wife etc. as a runaround..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2010 at 17:48
 Rhys wrote:
In which case you don't need to trade your old car in and would probably give it to a son/daughter/wife etc. as a runaround.
Lets not be sexist here. Have pity on me. I drive the runabout. Black Eye
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2010 at 21:40
There are some T&C's around the scheme that may mean official classics (i.e. over 30 y/o) may not feature too much.  The NCT and insurance requirements would probably eliminate a lot of older cars.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic