Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Neglected my 2004 318i es :( - Advice needed please!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNeglected my 2004 318i es :( - Advice needed please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neglected my 2004 318i es :( - Advice needed please!
    Posted: 02-March-2010 at 22:20
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site, but looking good from what I've seen.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice if anyone has some to offer.

I bought my BMW the best part of 2 years ago, but have rarely driven it (personal reasons).

The thing is now, that I want to get it back on the road, but I haven't started it for 6-8 months.

The battery is flat, and the last time I jumped it, a whole bunch of warning lights turned on (can't remember which right now) and bluish smoke came up directly from the engine compartment (the bonnet/hood was up due to jumping it).

Upon seeing this, I turned the engine off.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

A few people have told me that it could be oil on the engine compartment just burning off. And when running kitchen towel over the top of the engine cover, it picked up a fair bit.

I checked the oil cap for consistency and the dipstick for the level, both seemed fine.

Would anyone have any more advice aboput what to check when starting it next?
What things should I look out for before I even try pulling away?

All help is very much appreciated already!!

Cheers,

CB

Edited by CoolBean
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 08:28

Welcome to the forum

Pull the battery out the car and charge it, check that it will keep a charge if not bin it and buy a new battery. 

BMWs do not like low voltages, it throws up all sorts of weird and wonderful errors which may need a diagnostic plug in to sort out.

Smoke from the engine is probably just oil burning off but the real question is why is there oil on your engine.  It could just be dust etc getting hot for the first time in ages and smoking a bit.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 11:27
Cheers Andrew,

I'll do that. Is there anything else you'd recommend to check?

I heard the the hand brake being on a long time could be a problem, and also the brakes could have issues if the car was left for a long time too.

Thanks again
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 17:26
Yeah the brakes might be a bit sticky.  Do some hard breaking at very low speeds to take the rust of the linings.  Handbrake may well have locked on and need a chap with a hammer in the right spot to free them but you will not know till you drive it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 17:50
Ok will do.

Went to Halfords earlier today to get the charger, and the very helpful guy there told me to try a few other things:

- Wynns Injector Treatment
- Wynns Oil Treatment
- Distilled Water (to help battery retain charge in case it loses it)

Really hope to get this bad boy back on the road soon!
CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2010 at 11:07
I removed the battery (it's a sealed one right?) and tried charging it last night from my Halfords charger. The charger appears to works, as the 'Fuse OK/Charger OK' LED came on, but the 'Charging' LED didn't come on. The room bagan to smell a bit funny too (could be hydrogen as charging the battery.

The thing is, on the OEM battery itself, there's a colour code system thing:
Green = Sufficiently Charged
Black = Insufficiently Charge
Yellow = Replace battery

My battery shows the black indicator at present.

Any ideas guys? I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new battery
CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2010 at 19:29
New Bosch Silver battery is installed, and it's running fine!

Only thing thou, is that the EML light is on, and I'm limited to 50 mph.

Does anyone know why? And how can I overcome this?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2010 at 08:28

Yes BMW batteries are sealed, you have no use for the distilled water, take that back to Halfrauds.

What has probably happened is that the cells inside your battery have become damaged and have warpped and touched together effectively giving you an internal short.

BMW do not recommend adding anything to your engine lubrication system/fuel system/cooling system other that oil, fuel and antifreeze.

An oil change probably wouldn't go amiss and if you want to clean out your fuel system, run a tank or two of Shell VPower thru it.

Did the EML light come on before you changed the battery? 

Was everything switched off when you removed the old battery? 

Might just be a glitch from the system getting a new battery and need a diagnostic re-set. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2010 at 15:01
Ahh, Halfords ain't so bad - the guys over here in Dublin were a fantastic help. Far better than any dodgy mechanic or any official garages over here, both of which will fleece you for everything you have.

I put in the Injector Treatment, and a 3/4 tank of petrol, and the EML light has decided not to show up today, so hoping it will stay that way.

I can't remember if it was on beforehand, it probably did the last time I tried to jump it.

And nope, everything was on when removing the old battery, I saw sparks installing the new one....

However, it's going like the clappers again :)

Thanks for all your help Andrew, very much appreciated!
Fooljam View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fooljam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2010 at 20:26
Personally I would not have bothered with buying a charger for a car that stayed 8 months under the sun.
I would have bought a new one, end of.

Now I strongly recommend an engine oil change too.

CoolBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 09:25
Oil change done, the thirsty yoke takes 4.5 litres!

I used Castrol Edge 0w-30w, althought the mechanic said I ccould use a Mobil equivalent.

Are these the only 2 oils that should be used with a 2004 318i es?

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic