Forum LockedAdvanced Driving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advanced Driving
    Posted: 20-December-2003 at 01:10

Fellow club members

I have mentioned in some topics that I have been undergoing my advanced driver training, in my case with the IAM.

There has been some interest from other members.

Is anyone interested enough for me to contact the IAM and see if we can get anything going on a club level ?

The IAM is a charity, so I doubt discounts will be forthcoming, but in the many topics that driving has been discussed we all seem to hate speed cameras and say that bad driving is the cause of most accidents.

Its not actually very expensive, it cost me £85, and that includes all the tuition, if you need the highway code, videos etc, that is extra.

And boy did I need the highway code, its changed so much since the 70s version I last read.

I have my test this coming Monday, pass or fail I can honestly say it HAS improved my driving.

I may be able to get one of Worcesters local chaps to pop on here and answer any questions you may have.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2003 at 10:33

Anything to improve one,s driving standards, has to be a positive move.While everyone thinks its always the "Other " driver  who needs to improve, very few drivers think they need to.The Club has organised days, where we went to Millbrook and used the High speed banking, Hill and City courses, under instruction.They then continued onto public roads for assessment drives.Other times, we have had cross country runs, including motorway and Town instruction.Everyone learnt Something New.The problem nowdays is Time, and traffic conditions when a person Can get away to attend.Our Better Driving Track days are good, BUT-- its not the real world.Would Drivers be interested in onroad drives, during a trackday ??. What about a Driving Simulator.? I visited A BSM example a week ago, to see if a programme for advanced drivers, could be set up.This could attend all events, where people DO have a little more time. NOT such a crazy idea!!!!!, the North Wales Police are assessing a £3 Million investment, in a simulator for Police driver training.                          

The No 1 problem, is getting drivers to admit to themself, that they CAN Improve their standard.

SAFETYFAST

Edited by B 7 VP
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2003 at 13:36

B7

I have been talking to Howard this morning on a totally unrelated topic.

Apparently we have someone who "does" advanced in the club, an examiner by all accounts.

This wouldnt happen to be you would it ?

If it is perhaps we could tie up as we seem to have a commom interest.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2003 at 17:01

Nigel, Not Guilty.But ,yes there is someone.I will try to get a contact No.What we need is a small Club team to operate the assessment drives, preferably at a club event so that a number of drivers can take part. If after an assessment, the instructer gave a rating of very good %, and a special rate Voucher for the IAM examination, perhaps more drivers would be interested.If ALL Insurers gave an agreed discount off Insurance premiums , for a pass of the IAM exam , then again more Interest would be shown.As we all know, Insurers only want to raise premiums, if you get 3 points on your licence, NOT reward good defensive drivers.

There are still members in this club, from the weekend " Class of 87/88" who were shown the knowledge by 10 Hendon Police driving school Instructors.The lessons on Observation taught by these Experts, will never leave our CV as long as we drive.It saved my Life.We should be teaching this awareness today, within our Club better driving Days , and you never forget.

SAFETYFAST

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2003 at 17:18

B7

You will have to give me your name, seems strange to be writing to B7 lol

I'm not sure if I can get any discount, but I will ask Bob the examiner on monday.

What you suggest is a good idea, but would only save £35.

The exam is £50, which includes your first years IAM membership.

After you have passed the exam you can go on to become an observer which I what I hope to do.

If I can reach this standard I would be more than happy to help out at club level, but I have to pass the test first.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2003 at 10:29

Nigel, Good Luck on Monday, perhaps we could get an IAM deal for a Day rate, so giving more drivers an opportunity. John

SAFETYFAST

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2003 at 10:51

John

I will ask and see what can be done at special events, like Gaydon etc.

You dont actually just turn up, and I havent seen any "day" courses, although one of the Worcester chaps run a business teaching company car drivers on a day basis.

With the IAM you sign up then join a waiting list, and wait to be called, you are than assigned an observer, mines a lovely lady called Carol,he/ she then coaches you until you pass the test.

They do occasionaly get someone who they dont think will manage it, they will then be assesed by a senior.

I doubt that will apply to our club members, you have to be interested in driving to bother to own the powerful cars we have, let alone join an owners type club like the BMWCC.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 12:54

John

I passed it, and I've been asked to be an observer, so both good points there.

Apparently they have a "trailer" for events, so looks like I will be able to use that now.

I'll contact the club office to see who does the advanced stuff for the club, and I'll ask the IAM how best to go about things.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 13:01
Nigel

Congratulations and well done
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 16:59

Well done Nigel.With your new status, perhaps a good time to go forward with some idea,s to see what the feedback is.If we had a few drivers interested, in each Region, it could cover the country and achieve some good things.

SAFETYFAST

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2003 at 21:06

Thanks gentlemen.

I dont have status lol, once an erk always an erk.

I think I just had a very lucky drive, everything went right for me, quite the opposite of my pre test check when everyone seemed out to get me, I even asked the senior observer if he'd paid his family to get in the way !

I've been in touch with Andrew at the club office, and he has put me in touch with Jeff Haywood.

With your "position" John I'm not sure if you want in on the e-mails, if you do pm me your e-mail address and I'll copy them to you.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2003 at 12:25
  BUT -- I have been an erk much longer !!!Always happy to help if I can.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2003 at 16:16

Nigel, meant to have asked you.Once you have passed the exam, how long is it before you are an official observer ?.Does this then allow you to start to take someone ,on assessment drives ?. John

SAFETYFAST

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2003 at 18:21

John

I'm not sure how long the transition to observer takes.

Once I am an observer I will be assigned a student from the IAM.

I cant see any reason whatsoever that the IAM would object to me giving assesment drives to club members, after all, I would be advertising the IAM by doing it, and David has already said that the local IAM groups would give support to BMWCC events, if approached.

And I am both a BMWCC, and IAM member.

I am open to being proved wrong, but from my experience so far, I doubt that many people will go from assesment drive straight to test.

It isnt rocket science, but the police method of driving (which is what the advanced is ) is slightly different from how people normally drive, and it does take practice.

The hardest part for me was the "overlapping gear changes", look at your driving and see how often you change gear and brake at the same time.

Also "extra" gear changes, look at how often you approach a junction, an island for example, and drop from 5th to 3rd on approach, but you select 2nd before you actually enter the island.

The Police method actually seeks to minimise all of this sort of stuff.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic