Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow long should a spring last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long should a spring last?
    Posted: 27-March-2010 at 01:01
March 25th 2008. Turned off the M62 on my way to Nick Wright's Meet at Howden. Travelling at around 50 on the bend at the end of the slip road when there was a sudden bang. That was not the spring, but the new tyre on my offside being punctured by the spring as it broke. Luckily no one was injured, only my pocket when I got the 600+ bill for two new springs and fitting - not to mention the trip home on the AA wagon, or 220 for a new front tyre!

March 25th 2010
Wife picked up the car from a full service. When she got home, she said "Its rattling a bit!". It was late and I was busy so I said "I'll look at it in the morning". So I drove it on the 26th to have two new tyres fitted, and did a bit of shopping, travelled about 12 miles with no rattles. Later I had to go out, and as I set off the rattles started. It was the spring again. Luckily the razor sharp point got stuck on a bracket on the strut, so the new tyre was not damaged.

2 years and 30K miles to the day. My last car had Alpina springs fitted at 53K miles. These were still fine 5 years later at 168K when I sold the car.

Question - Have I been unlucky, or has the standard of BMW springs gone to pot since they started manufacturing them in China?

Edited by Howard
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Sponsored Links

shogun View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2010 at 14:51

original wheels and tires, lowered?

Or wide wheels and wide tires, lowered?

I have never had any probs on my 11/1988 E32 750 and also not on the Alpina E32 B12 5.0.

But on both cars are the original wheels and tires, nothing changed on the springs too.

If any mods, that causes more wear.

E32 750iL,E36 M3

7 Series Tech Tips

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2010 at 02:05

Not a 7, but I think our e46 328i Touring has recently popped a nsr spring, haven't had an opportunity to have it properly looked at yet.  The car belonged to my sister before me, hasn't been abused or modified, and I know that they were replaced at approx 40k miles by a main dealer when the nsr spring snapped.  The car has approx 67k miles now.  I'm inclined to be disappointed in the recurrence and its clear its a reasonable common e46 issue.

In contrast, my last e39 5 went to 145k with me on the originals.  Reports of spring failures seem to be fairly rare.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Rob5678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2010 at 19:20
My E38 750 60K the majority with just 1 person in the car , both back springs found broken when I inspected the car . It was still within the 6 yr warranty . BMW UK stated it was a consumable part and offered nothing towards the cost.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2010 at 20:13
Can't comment round York, speedbumps kill car stuff (exhausts, springs and lowered bodywork etc.). Lucky for me my last broken spring had only the end bit go so it seated itself and just knocked. Was a pain replacing it, prybar and a lot of swearing - happy at E30 rear setup on the Compact though.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2010 at 21:34

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

speedbumps kill car stuff 
don't start me off

If you go over them it kills the springs

If you straddle them it kills the tyres

and as for Pot-Holes.........

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2010 at 21:38
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

speedbumps kill car stuff 
don't start me off

If you go over them it kills the springs

If you straddle them it kills the tyres

and as for Pot-Holes.........

What about pot-holes next to speed bumps? Nice large thunk! before I hit the bump. makes the bump a lot bigger. Nice council round my way hasn't done snot about repairing the roads since the bad weather..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2010 at 21:46
E38 front springs break for a pastime. One of our Howden regulars had a
740i spring break (nearside front) last week on the way there!

It's a common problem so there is a quality issue. I'd be fitting a set of
Alpina or Eibach springs.

E32 springs rarely break - occasionally a rear one. Broken E36 and E46
rears are a regular fault.
I don't have a carbon footprint. I drive everywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic