Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 530iA Sport Champagne II - Update - Detailling begins!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked530iA Sport Champagne II - Update - Detailling begins!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2010 at 23:38

Small update.

When i bought the car, i bought it with warts and all. Usual story, in the right light it looks superb but in the sun, looks like it had been detaled with brillo pads.

Loads and loads of cobwebs and light scratches were the main offenders, nothing that would require anything more serious than a wet sand.

Panels tackled - Bootlid / bonnet and rear bumper.

So with great help from my glamourous assistants and fellow forum 'members' Ally and Pete330, we set about doing the car bit by bit restoring the beautiful sapphire black paintwork to its former glory!  

First off a really good wash using meguiars suds (cant remember exact product) through the power washer....

Some of the offending before shots (the 50 / 50's didnt come out great   )

During pics - PC used with varying grades of menzerna

After pics - not 100% perfect, 99% is good enough for me  :lol:

Used poorboys black hole to seal it up afterwards.

Got some nice flake popping out and a nice wet look going on, well pleased with the result!

Big thanks again to Ally and Pete + Allys wife for the garage, the help and the cups of tea and biscuits 

Edited by coupe king
Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2010 at 16:33

Did you boys do the rear bumper once i went?

I its coming on

I did the whole N/S rear pannel BTW

It just needs a Final Polish

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2010 at 20:06

We did a wee bit of the rear bumper on Saturday Pete.

Can't wait to see it when it's all done, think we are doing some more this Saturday, it will be a day of hell for me as I will have a hangover, plus it's Aberdeen v Falkirk lol!

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

craig3.0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craig3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2010 at 17:18
Looks like it came out v good indeed 
How long did u spend on it,and how much of the car did u do in the end up?
(as i did my bonnet on my z4 last yr/tho the whole car needs done/should prob take a cpl days?)

BLACK Z4 3.0i SE
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2010 at 14:08
Hey Neil
Not sure how I missed this thread but the car looks fantastic and well done on the paintwork! I look forward to seeing it in the flesh! Very nice colour comb! 

coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 10:05

Another wee update....Some more Detailing this weekend.

Again with some great help from forum member Ally, we set about some more of problem areas.

First off was the drivers side wing, as you can see from the first picture a pretty nasty, deep white scratch, which fortunately seems to only be in the lacquer. Using Allys Meguiars PC with a combination of Menzerna power gloss and Menzerna Final finish, it has taken it 95% out to the extent that you really have to squint to see the last of it. 

Soooooo much better!

While Ally was doing a fine job on the wing i set about the boot lock with some autosol, years and years of road grime baked on to it. One of those wee jobs that makes a big difference to the overall picture. I also did the exhaust. Used a combination of Tar-dis, autosol and steel wool. It was absolutely minging, 7 years of never once being cleaned and now looks brand new again  :D (forgot to take pics though   )

The last area we set about sorting out was rear end of the bootlid. As you can see, some pretty nasty scratches. About 90% of them came out after two passes of power gloss leaving some very light scratches left which will be sorted at a later date with a slightly more aggressive cutting pad (didnt have one available on the day).

Not 100% perfect but 100% better 

Still very much a work in progress, but its getting there slowly but surely. The roof, the bumpers and the 4 doors left to do  

Oh and the interior and the engine bay......

Thanks again to Ally for his help, his garage, tea and biscuits etc!  :D

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 10:07

Originally posted by craig3.0 craig3.0 wrote:

Looks like it came out v good indeed 
How long did u spend on it,and how much of the car did u do in the end up?
(as i did my bonnet on my z4 last yr/tho the whole car needs done/should prob take a cpl days?)

Cheers craig, yeah it always takes longer than you think. So far i reckon its taken 12 hours to do the bonnet, boot, front wings, rear quarter panel and exhaust. A couple of 12 hour days sounds about right for a whole car.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 10:08

Originally posted by Issy Issy wrote:

Hey Neil
Not sure how I missed this thread but the car looks fantastic and well done on the paintwork! I look forward to seeing it in the flesh! Very nice colour comb! 

Thanks Issy!

You going to the track night on Wednesday? Likewise looking forward to seeing your new //M3

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 15:15

Wow that wing come up well

Look forard to seeing it flesh

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 20:32

looks fantastic

i wish i had the skill and patience to do such a thorough job on mine

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 20:39
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

looks fantastic

i wish i had the skill and patience to do such a thorough job on mine

Cheers Stephen,

Patience - yes

Skill - not really

Nothing to it really mate. Just do a wee bit at a time then you dont get bored!

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 21:39

Yep, patience is the key, you can achieve almost as good results with a DA as you can with a rotary, just takes longer.

I'm going to give myself a few days to do mines, unless you are doing it for a living, you are unlikely to spend enough hours to do it in a couple of days really.

She's coming well though, worth spending the time on.

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic