Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSplit Folding Rear Seat Option

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Folding Rear Seat Option
    Posted: 11-April-2010 at 18:39
Has anybody out there got an E39 saloon with the split folding rear seat option. I would like to get the opportunity to measure one up for to carry a particularly large musical instrument. At the moment the back seat is completely taken up which limits the carrying capacity to just 1 passenger. I have spent the last couple of months looking at touring models, but none have appealed to me so far. Once I am happy that the split folding rear seat option suits I will be on the lookout for a suitable E39. Looks like that this option was also offered on 3 series and was generally fitted to higher powered models. Seems to be a number of both 3 and 3 series available in the UK. I have seen write-ups of retro fit split folding rear seats fitted to E39 models. However I recon that the removal of the rear bulkhead  could invalidate insurance. After all they ask - has the car been modified in any way? Any experience with split folding rear seats is much appreciated. 
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2010 at 08:18

I have only ever seen one E39 with a split rear folding seat.  They are indeed as common as rocking horse poo.  Looking for one will be difficult as some owners might not even know that they have it fitted or just simply not mention it in the advert text.

As it was an extra cost option I reckon folk just didn't bother.  If you wanted a split rear folding seat they would have bought a Vectra or a Mondeo.

I wouldn't go down the road of trying to convert a non folding seat version to a folding seat version as you would need to alter a huge amount of structural parts of the car.

How about a towbar and a big trailer?  You can hire a 8' x 4' box/van trailer for £20 for a weekend.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2010 at 21:02

Many thanks for the reply Andrew. My problem is solved. Picked up a very nicely priced 530d touring 2001 model over the weekend. Under 80000 miles with a main dealer service history to 70000 miles. It is the one I want, manual and original Irish but a little sparse with the bells and whistles. Its manufacture date is October 2000. The bottom has fallen out of the price of older large engined cars here in Ireland due a combination of the collapsed economy and the savage annual road tax. Road tax will be a shade under 1300 euro a year. With prices so low here in Ireland, and with me regularly keeping an update on prices in the UK for 01 to 03 E39 tourings, it did not take a whole lot of convincing to buy local. OK it doesent have the M-tec, climate control, sun roof or leather seats. At least its got a few buttons on the steering wheel to keep me amused, PDC and rain sensor wipers and most important of all - a detatchable tow hitch. Hope it has not got the dreaded inlet manifold flaps - I will know shortly as a full diy service is in order which will include the engine breather replacement. Any advice on service is appreciated.            

Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2010 at 10:36

Well wear Mike.  This will have swirlflaps so you should add the blanking plate upgrade to your list of things to do.

With my last 5, the 80-90k range seemed to be the point that all of a sudden a good few of the usual wear and tear suspension components started to show their age.  Nothing out of the ordinary but shocks, a rear ball joint and sundry front end bushes, track control arms, etc. all cropped up then.  Worth having a good poke around these to see if they are worth doing while you have the car in the air.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic