Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSteering Column Fracture bolt? E34 ’92

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Column Fracture bolt? E34 ’92
    Posted: 19-April-2010 at 11:34
Hopefully you can see the link below and answer my question as to if this
is a fracture bolt or not? I'm down to the last step for getting my steering
lock off the column. I can see no other anything that is obviously holding
the steering lock on the the column though. I wanted to see if anyone
could verify this before I attempt to get it off. As you can see it's in a
devil of a location.
From the other picture you can see (hopefully) into the well of the lock
cylinder. I can't find any information on how to replace the assembly that
fits into the bottom there. I guess taking off the steering lock will enable
me to remove the actuation rod but i'm not sure about this step. Perhaps
I can refit the pot metal piece at the bottom down there. No diagram but
it's complicated affair with a spring, a plastic cup washer and the little
receptacle itself. If I buy a new steering lock is this mechanism included?

Sorry to be so wordy but I don't have all the correct nomanclature
available.        &n bsp;         &n bsp;
[URL=http://picasaweb.google.com/101997169797109536449]
Booker

2002 E39 5 series Touring

Sponsored Links

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 15:28
hi that link doesn't work.  Can anyone else help?  There's a howto put pics up somewhere...
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 17:13
I tried to use the link mentioned in the "help" section and it didn't work either. I'm not sure what to do and the picture of course would help to explain what I'm talking about.  Anyway, I think the Picasa site you have to be a member. I thought it was for anybody.  In the help section for Bavarian board it reads that you need to get permission to post photo's. 

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 17:33
Actually I tried again and that link does work if i just paste it into a browser - it redirects to here

Can't help with deciphering them but the pics look pretty clear so I'm sure someone will know.

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 17:40
Thanks for checking again.  Yes, this is not DIY repair job that is that common I know.  I hope someone out there can give this a look.

thanks!
Booker

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 17:42
Do you have access to TIS at all?  I've been looking on realoem and it's not v helpful, but that bit may be the fracture bolt.

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2010 at 20:59
I'm not sure what TIS is to be honest.  It's some school in Indiana or so says Google...:/

I did look thorugh realoem and couldn't find any mention or diagram of the steering even.  it's strange...
my care is 92, E34 TDS Touring.  I just guess the month of may as production model.  What's the catagorie for the ignition system? should be under electrical right?

I did find this though- pretty complete with pictures.  I've this guy is a pro though and this is exactly like my car at all.  I've heard a chisel works on the bolts but here is no room for me to swing hammer in there nor do I think I want to for that matter.  <http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566688>.  ; ; sure seems to be the Fracture bolt though wouldn't you say?

I also found this:<http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/showAssembly.aspx?uk ey_product=487925&ukey_assembly=155604&assembly=1481 69>.  seems to indicate that what I'm looking at needing to take out is indeed fracture bolt.  Any suggestions besides prayer?  And how do you install them?  special tool?

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2010 at 15:44
I think you'll have to take the whole column off unfortunately. 

Here's a link to the relevant bit of  bmwfans.info which I've just discovered, seems quite good, similar to realoem.  You can use the last 7 digits of your VIN on both to get exactly the right model.

Sent you a pm about TIS...

Edited by jetsetwilly2000

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2010 at 16:32
I got it off.  if you saw the pictures from the previous post (cut and paste that BTW to see) you'll see the fracture bolt hides in a little 'cup' which faces to the front. Impossible to get at.  Being as I'm going to have to replace the keylock anyway (I think) what I did was

1.  take my trusty hacksaw blade (without holder!) and cut off the top lip and about half way down each side to expose the bolt. I was actually surprised how soft the metal was (aluminum) and had no trouble with the cutting other then the awkward position.  

2.Next I reached around with the blade and cut a notch through the middle of the bolt thinking I could get a small screwdriver in there to get it out.  Not sure what happened next but I guess the constant motion loosened the bolt and it spun easily out by hand.   voila-  the whole keylock assembly slipped right off the column and I was grinning and feeling pretty proud of myself. 

i don't think  i'm going to be grinning when I hear the price BMW is going to charge me to replace it though.  I'll let you know.  This is a good place certainly to get some good commiseration when it comes to our cars!  I know I'm not getting any from my wife.
Booker

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2010 at 12:30
Good stuff!

Yes, doesn't sound like a cheap part - what did they say about the supposed recall (if anything)?

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2010 at 07:58
The main guy that I need to talk with was not there when i went in yesterday to order the parts.  138€.  I pick it all up tomorrow and I'll ask then.  THAT doesn't cost anything.

TBC
Booker

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2010 at 13:50
Update:

Got all the part finally (5 times for the bushing!).  Got the keylock back on the column, inserted the key barrel (with key inserted) into chamber and now the key won't turn at all.  I stopped right there before assembling further.  I a) put the key barrel in wrong thinking that there was only one way it would fit in there or 2) i missed something and don't know what it is.  There is this link <http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566688> and the guy says you CAN get it in backwards.

So- the key is stuck and won't turn.  I can get the key lock off though but a lot of good that does me.  Why did is lock up?

You can't believe how bummed I am right now!
Booker

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2010 at 14:52
Oh dear!  No time to look just now but I seem to recall that you can get it in 180 deg wrong, and then it won't turn.  Does that make any sense? Think TIS has seomthing to that effect...

E34 535iS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2010 at 17:48
Fixed it.  Just gave it a good yank and the sucker popped out.  For my particular car there is only one way to get it to fit in (lucky for me). I think it just wasn't seated correctly.  Inserted it again with the key in the middle position and she clicked WITH a turnable key!

well, one minor crisis averted.  TBC next week as I'm off to Berlin for a few days for a bit of R&R! 

Thanks for the shoulder to whine on...:)

TBC

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2010 at 20:35
BTW- when asked about a recall, I saw a 'behind-the-doors' type conversation with between the parts guy and manager and got a 'never heard about it' response. 

your surmise of the situation depends on how much of a cynic you are I suppose...

Booker

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic