Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 Electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FF99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 Electrical problem
    Posted: 02-May-2010 at 23:04
I have a 1999 523 which, until recently, has been trouble free. Lately it has suffered intermittent electrical problems, which started with the radio ceasing to work reliably. It now only works intermittently, and with no apparent logic as to when it switches on and off.   Once or twice going round a corner turns it on.  Next the horn stopped working, also intermittently.  Then the clock went although it comes on from time to time and will work even when the radio does not.  Just recently, on a few occasions, the warning lights for the rear lights have come on (both lights at once), but they then will go off again if the engine is restarted.  Today the wipers would not operate once, although re-starting the engine seemed to re-set them and they worked OK for the rest of the day even if the radio did not.    

I am in the process of buying a new car (a 320i) and really do not want to spend any serious money fixing these problems, as the value of the car does not seem to justify it.  I am not at all handy, so doubt this is something I can fix myself unless it is a loose connection somewhere which is accessible without tools etc.  

Is this something I stand any chance of fixing myself, or is it something my local repair man can fix without going off to buy expensive parts. ??

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by FF99
Sponsored Links

Hasso View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 06:11
My guess is that you have problem with the contacs in the back of the ignitionlock, it gives a lot of syntax error in differnet systems and is  a common problem on E39.
BR Hasso
BMW 540T 2001 6 speed.
BMW 316G (biogas) -1998
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bilder.asp?bil=40895
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45700
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=40865
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45749

FF99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FF99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 07:01

Originally posted by Hasso Hasso wrote:

My guess is that you have problem with the contacs in the back of the ignitionlock, it gives a lot of syntax error in differnet systems and is  a common problem on E39.

If this is the problem how easy is it for my local repair man to deal with it ?  Does it require specilaist BMW knowledge or parts to repair it ?  Does it risk leading to the car becoming inoperable ??

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 07:37

My E39 did some of that.  The wipers failed like yours, it only happened once every year I had it and switching off and restarting always then worked.  I believe the problem is to do with a relay in the wiper circuit

Try replacing the battery if you suspect that it is over 6 years old or so.  That tends to help solve a lot of weird and wonderful electrical problems.

Mine had the same issue with the rear lights but I traded it in before I could look at fixing it.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 18:55
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

My E39 did some of that.  The wipers failed like yours, it only happened once every year I had it and switching off and restarting always then worked.  I believe the problem is to do with a relay in the wiper circuit

Try replacing the battery if you suspect that it is over 6 years old or so.  That tends to help solve a lot of weird and wonderful electrical problems.

Mine had the same issue with the rear lights but I traded it in before I could look at fixing it.

+1 for the battery. At least check if the terminal are loose or corroded
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 21:00
My 00 e39 has started to give a bit of trouble. All lights come on and the radio clock may reset also the MPG, MPH and trip computer may reset.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic