Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW V6 diesels ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW V6 diesels ?
    Posted: 10-June-2010 at 23:59

Are BMW doing V6 diesel engines now ?

They aren't listed in Killians list, they all seem to be straight sixes, with the one exception of  V8 diesel in the 7 series.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2010 at 00:15
No, all current and recent 6 cyl's are straight 6's, petrol or diesel.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2010 at 08:21

What makes you think of a V6 in a Beamer Nigel?

Have you seen a dodgy advert or summat?

I remember someone posted on here that they saw an advert in pistonheads or autotrader that described a 328 or similar as having a V6 petrol and the seller was adamant that it was a V6 when the forum member questioned it!

Ford and GM do V6s, Merc do too don't they?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2010 at 12:53
It was said to me by a friend, it was following reading a road test article, which he showed me, the article was testing a diesel X5
Best Wishes

Nigel

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2010 at 20:36
I'm sure it was mentioned once, I think they were looking at a V6 with a low pressure and high pressure Turbo but it looks like they've stuck with the straight 6 for now. I wonder how long before the diesels will get adblue to comply with the next set of EU laws! The Mercs have just stated doing it in the cars with the commercials having it for a few years now.
More technology to cause more issues.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2010 at 09:37

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

I wonder how long before the diesels will get adblue to comply with the next set of EU laws!

What's adblue?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2010 at 23:09
It's a sinthetic sort of 'urine' which is injected into the exhaust downpipe before the cat and basically combines with the nitrogen oxides to produce ammonia which goes into the cat and is reduced even further in it's non carbon footprint state!

The euro 4 emission laws brought about tighter restrictions on what was permissible and so manufacturers either favoured uprated exhaust gas recirculation systems or adblue which is in a tank next to the fuel tank and injected in pre-measured doses as required.
The trucks have had it for the last 2-3 years but on the vans at the moment, EGR and particulate filters are the order of the day however, VW have just gone with adblue on their euro 5 engines as they cannot make an EGR system good enough though Mercs have managed to hold out until now.
The cars have just been introduced to the adblue system. It's a whole new kettle of fish and more expense to the motorist with having to buy the adblue in addition to the fuel (diesels only) and it's more to go wrong. Adblue crystalises really easily and there have been many warranty issues with these with heaters having to be added to try and stem the crystal formation.

With prices of fuel as they are and tougher emission laws killing the car as we know it, time for hydrogen engines is it not? Kill off the BP's and Shells of the world who control far too much due to the vast billions they have and introduce some radical changes which will keep engines running how we enjoy them but with zero emissions!
The technology is there, were just to scared to take on the big guns!

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic