Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI want a Black BMW next

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want a Black BMW next
    Posted: 13-June-2010 at 21:57

I have decided that my next BMW will need to be a black one or a dark blue one as after spending all day Saturday cleaning my wifes 57 plate black Ford Focus being totally blown away with the results that I achieved with my Megs G220 with Menzerna pads and polish and carlack sealant

Bonnet before.

Some afters

#1 Rear passenger door

#2 Front passenger door

#3 Bonnet

#4 The finished Ford

and finally #5 a picture with my car in it

Took best part of 8 hours, got hideously sunburnt but it was worth it.

The Ford paint is much softer than the E60 paint, meant most swirls went after only one pass with a Menz finishing pad and Menz 85RE final finish.  Deeper swirls and scrathes were taken out with Menz polish pads and Menz 3.02 power finish polish.  It took 2 passes on the bonnet with the Menz polish pads and Menz 3.02 power finish polish before a single pass with the Menz finishing pad and Menz 85RE final finish.

I just wish I could get as nice a reflection as easily in my car...stoooopid light silver colour.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2010 at 22:36

Yeh Ford paint=Easy

BMW black paint = Nightmare

Silver cars rock,least you dont see all the swirls and with the right polish you can get a nice finish

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2010 at 09:55
Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2010 at 10:26

I've just pxed a dark blue beemer, nightmare of a colour for a working car, showed every swirl, stone chip etc.

I swear if someone walked past it, the paint developed a mark (would polish out) just from the wind passing it !

I looked at several black and dark blue E39's, all of them looked poorer than the silver one I have, just due to the paintwork showing every little belmish.

I'm with Pete, silver is the colour for me.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2010 at 10:59

The Focus paintwork does show up every swirl but it is in frighteningly good nick for nearly 3 years old and having been driven by two women!  I was just blown away with the level of correction I achieved but as Pete pointed out the Fords are easy to work on as they are so much softer than the BMW paint.  According to PB, Ford paint is of medium hardness in the scale of things, I'd hate to see what soft paint would be like.

I suppose if you have a dark coloured car the emphasis would be on maintaining the finish.

Were you washing your dark car with a yellow sponge full of grit Nigel?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic