Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddrain ALL coolant with Rad. change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drain ALL coolant with Rad. change?
    Posted: 24-June-2010 at 17:11
put in a new radiator today but only drained that fluid (and what dribbled out of the block of course).  It's all back together now but I'm wondering if I need to drain the block coolant (by the back plug) before filling it all up again?  The fluid is all good too, not old.  I guess I'm concerned about airlocks and bleeding if I don't drain.  Of course, if I don't have to so much the better.

booker

'92 E34 Touring 525 TDI

Edited by bookerfatz
Booker

2002 E39 5 series Touring

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 18:33

No you should need to drain the block unless you want to do a full coolant change.

You will get air locks if you fill too quickly and don't bleed out the system.  It's a pig on the E39 petrols but it can be done, similar I would guess applies to your oil burner.

I replaced the thermostat on my E39.  I drained down the system via the drain on the rad.  I didn't touch the block drain plug (scared of shearing it or stripping it).  When I removed the water pump a considerable amount of water then left the cylinder head thru the hole that the water pump was in.  All the time the rad drain plug was open, which meant that water was still being held in the head even though the lowest part of the system was open to atmosphere.  Heater valves were open also.

I would never re use antifreeze, it doesn't cost that much and the more you replace it the more chance you have got of ensuring that the old stuff is getting removed.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 20:51
Actually the coolant system in the E34 is described as self-bleeding, and certainly I've never had any trouble with it.  I've done the rad on my 540 and I didn't do more than drain down from the rad and then top back up.  Should be the same for yours.
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2010 at 10:00
thanks guys!  Will give it a go... good tip about the old antifreeze as well. 
Booker

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2010 at 13:19

If the expansion tank is the highest level in the system you should be o.k. with filling, i.e. avoiding air locks.  The E39 6 pots have the expansion tank halfway down the rad.  Go figure!

Let us know how you get on.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bookerfatz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookerfatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2010 at 15:06
got it topped off and she's running good.   I'll take her out tomorrow for a good run in this nice hot weather but I think it's fine without bleeding.  Nice design that! 

The only little 'bug' that happened though was that the new rad sits in the 'hole' a little looser then the original.  I'm not sure why the wiggle room is there as they measure the same.  Strange. I didn't get it from BMW though but from here for half the price:<http://www.mecatechnic.com/Radiateur-d-eau~Pieces- pour-BMW-serie-5-E34~Moteur-et-boite~Circuit-d-eau~FR-E34-MO T-EAU-RAD.htm>.  It's actually those clips at the tip that hold it in (and down) where the problem is so maybe that's it.  It's not a biggie though.  I'm just going to have to find a way to 'shim' it I guess.  Shouldn't be a problem though. I do not want the radiator jumping around there that's for sure.  It needs to be snug. 

Thanks again for the helps!

Booker 

Booker

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic