Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMore e36 328i SPORT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More e36 328i SPORT
    Posted: 07-July-2010 at 13:02

Hi again guys

Firstly thanks to Pete330 – what a source of knowledge – it really it appreciated.

Unfortunately the errors keep coming, but having spent so much cash already I have to keep going…

Any comments on the following issues will be much appreciated.

1. I have spoken about this before – some further symptoms. This morning on the way to work I tuned on the front window demister which blasts the window at full fan speed to clear it. During the journey the fan turned off and on again about 3 or 4 times. I did not touch the button. Does this confirm the fix required from before which is easy (apparently) ;). If the fan is ON I can control it, but whilst it is off no amount of button pushing makes a difference.

2. I seem to be lacking a bit of power now and again. I am reasonably sure this is injector/electrical related. I intend to send the injectors away to get cleaned and tested since they are over £90 each but only about £15 for a clean and test. Any suggestions of a company I use. Whilst these are out I intend to clean the idle control valve and replace the air mass meter. Is there anything else I should be doing at the same time to try and replace some of the lost horses?

3. One of the segments that makes up the numbers. i.e. a “5” look like a small “c” of the trip OD has disappeared. I have had one of these to bits in a scrap yard, but still concerned about damaging my own one – Any suggestions? It is a small LCD screen, very easy to damage I think. Is it just a case of being very careful.

4. Anyone got any experience about manifold conversions? I read good stuff about the CA automotive one and the guy there assures me it is a very complete FULL kit with manifold and BBTB, but it’s over £500, and then you need to re-map it – any thoughts?

5. Has anyone got some good suggestions for tyres? It has really cheap things on just now – but they are not actually too bad. Looking for something reasonable that hopefully won’t stretch the budget too much for a fitted pair.

Cheers to those guys who have answered my posts – I really appreciate it and would be stuck without it.

Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2010 at 13:51
Originally posted by stubobby stubobby wrote:

Hi again guys

Firstly thanks to Pete330 – what a source of knowledge – it really it appreciated.

No worries

Unfortunately the errors keep coming, but having spent so much cash already I have to keep going…

Any comments on the following issues will be much appreciated.

1. I have spoken about this before – some further symptoms. This morning on the way to work I tuned on the front window demister which blasts the window at full fan speed to clear it. During the journey the fan turned off and on again about 3 or 4 times. I did not touch the button. Does this confirm the fix required from before which is easy (apparently) ;). If the fan is ON I can control it, but whilst it is off no amount of button pushing makes a difference.

Does sound like the comon errors mentioned before,but i aint no expert unfortuantly

2. I seem to be lacking a bit of power now and again. I am reasonably sure this is injector/electrical related. I intend to send the injectors away to get cleaned and tested since they are over £90 each but only about £15 for a clean and test. Any suggestions of a company I use. Whilst these are out I intend to clean the idle control valve and replace the air mass meter. Is there anything else I should be doing at the same time to try and replace some of the lost horses?

Pass,does it not comeup in a diagnostic?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Mult-Code_Readi ng/Mult-Code_Reading.htm

3. One of the segments that makes up the numbers. i.e. a “5” look like a small “c” of the trip OD has disappeared. I have had one of these to bits in a scrap yard, but still concerned about damaging my own one – Any suggestions? It is a small LCD screen, very easy to damage I think. Is it just a case of being very careful.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457171

4. Anyone got any experience about manifold conversions? I read good stuff about the CA automotive one and the guy there assures me it is a very complete FULL kit with manifold and BBTB, but it’s over £500, and then you need to re-map it – any thoughts?

Everyone raves about.Alpina 527 is the man for them mailto:alpina527@aol.com think iirc everthing is around £350 ish

5. Has anyone got some good suggestions for tyres? It has really cheap things on just now – but they are not actually too bad. Looking for something reasonable that hopefully won’t stretch the budget too much for a fitted pair.

Falken 452`s from Camskill,you wont find a better tyre on a slight budget that performs very well,i have had them in 18s and 19s and they are great in dry and decent in wet,Camskill is cheapest for falkens delivered

Cheers to those guys who have answered my posts – I really appreciate it and would be stuck without it.

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Honeyman328 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeyman328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 22:08
have you checked the rubber pipe at your
air mass meter. Prone to splitting at the rear
which can cause power loss. Check your air
box. My dads 328 had a mouse with nest,
kid you not and his car had loss of upper
power!
As for the m50 manifold and big bore
throttle body, the 328 was restricted to 193
bhp due to german tax costs by restricting
the air flow into the engine by fitting 2 litre
manifolds instead of 2.8 litre. You fit the 2.5
litre thus increasing the air flow into the
engine . Fitting the above lets the 328 rev a
lot cleaner and harder above 4k. It is a must.
15+ bhp easily achieved. A remap will
increase the figures further however after a
few hundred miles your ecu will adjust to
the new manifold and throttle body. If you
do decide to carry this out buy a decent
induction kit. The noise is amazing
Now - e36 328 touring, e34 520 saloon
Previous - e36 328 sport
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 15:40
It's worth getting a full diagnostic check done first otherwise you're chasing your tail in the dark. It will save you money in the end.

Don't think it will be the maf - it would be running poorly all the time.

You don't say what the mileage is - all cars lose power as they get older. Is the power loss a momentary thing or is it constant over a certain rpm?

For the throttle body & manifold modification see Alpina527 on the E36Coupe forum. It does uncork the M52 quite a bit but don't forget to inform your insurance company - they are well aware of the mod.

Most "induction kits" don't do anything except make a noise & lighten your wallet. Some even lose power because they suck in hot air instad of cold.

Don't go mad trying to extract lots of extra power - just sell the 328 & buy an M3 instead, it's more cost effective.

For tyres you can't beat Goodyear F1's for the combination of grip (wet or dry), wear & price.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 14:06

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

It's worth getting a full diagnostic check done first otherwise you're chasing your tail in the dark. It will save you money in the end.

Already Done - nothing showing up...

Don't think it will be the maf - it would be running poorly all the time.

You don't say what the mileage is - all cars lose power as they get older. Is the power loss a momentary thing or is it constant over a certain rpm?

The car has done around 120k+ I know to expect some power loss with age - but when I got it, it pulled like a train and was great. But now there seems to be a lack of urgency which I can feel in the throttle response which is not what it was - if I drop to second and give it the boot - it doesn’t quite give the shove in the back which it did - something has defo changed since I've had it and I've only done a few thousand miles. it is like someone just turned the power down by 30 bhp or so.

For the throttle body & manifold modification see Alpina527 on the E36Coupe forum. It does uncork the M52 quite a bit but don't forget to inform your insurance company - they are well aware of the mod.

Most "induction kits" don't do anything except make a noise & lighten your wallet. Some even lose power because they suck in hot air instad of cold.

Wasn’t going to do an induction kit - I don’t like them - too noisy... most I would do it cotton air filter but original airbox.

Don't go mad trying to extract lots of extra power - just sell the 328 & buy an M3 instead, it's more cost effective.

unfortunately I have been unlucky and had to do shed loads of work to this car - at big cost so I wouldn’t and can’t afford to get rid of it yet..

For tyres you can't beat Goodyear F1's for the combination of grip (wet or dry), wear & price.

got a puncture and ran out of choice - had to go with Avon ZZ3 - but they were quite cheap and no complaints so far

Edited by stubobby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic