Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 Software update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 Software update
    Posted: 08-July-2010 at 13:03
Not the usual iDrive software update to get a satnav or MP3 or Ipod to work but more fundamental stuff like engine and gearbox.

I suspect my car might need a DME and/or a EGS software update to cure a possible blip in the tranmsission.

I've been doing a bit of diggin on t'interweb regarding software updates.

Does anyone know what/when the most recent software update is/was for my car?

I have found on the web how to acces a secret menu which allows you to see the software date.

It's going in for an oil service tomorrow and I've asked BMW to look at a software update.

The car was "re-programmed" by my local BMW in May 2008 to get my eyebrow headlights to come on. This was done under warranty and I think the job only took a couple of hours.

How much do dealers charge for a software update?

Thanks

Andrew
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 17:43

Secret menu revealed that the iDrive software is dated March 06 but I suspect that has nothing to do with the DME or EGS software.

Car went into BMW for an oil service on Friday and for a software update.

Car does indeed need a software update. £144 + VAT, won't get the car back till Monday pm.

Will wait and see if that cures the occasional fault, although since having done a transmission/throttle reset it hasn't faulted. 

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2010 at 20:07
I can only speak from the point of view of where I work but I do see the occaisional "Control unit flash update" for various vehicles. More often than not it is to cure the odd bug in a system just like Microsoft send out countless updates to upgrade their software. Obviously with vehicle software there aren't security risks, hackers and software incompatibility issues so there won't be a new update every few days but the manufacturer will monitor warranty issues and information downloaded from diagnostic machines.

Once a vehicle gets to the production line, the research and development is far from over and sometimes the recall may involve software rather than a physical part.
I imagine in some cases, just like parts are susceptable to wear and tear, I supposed the odd blip can occur over time and so may not fall under usual warranty guidelines. Would it not be worth asking the question though? if a blip can uccur is it down to a software design fault?

The joys of modern technology!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 08:25

The dealer took from Fri 8am till 4.30 pm on Mon to do an update.

I think they had problems getting it to work.  They couldn't update the EGS (as it was fully up to date) but did get a few modules loaded onto the DME. 

The dealer did not charge me for that work so I got some uploads for free.  They also gave me a bottle of red wine so I can get pi$$ed on them for free

Car is smoother on idle, not sure if that is due to new oil or the updates.  I'm happy with it.

I suppose in the ever ongoing thirst for improved emissions and economy figures we will be relying more and more on electronic frippery to make it all work.  It just makes fixing it more difficult when it breaks!

As you said Mike the joys of modern technology indeed!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic