Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 fix for Crying Eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 fix for Crying Eyes
    Posted: 21-July-2010 at 13:15

Has anyone come up with a permanent fix for headlight condensation?  my '00 530D has Xenon lights.  I've disassembled them, cleaned them, re-sealed them, dehumidified them etc etc several times but each time the condensation returns after a month or so.  It gets so bad that light output is seriously compromised.

Greg.

My first emoticon - very appropriate LOL!

Sponsored Links

Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 21:25
The common DIY solution that is discussed on BMW forums is to put a little bag of silica gel inside the bulb cover seal. Replace the bag about once a month, or remove the bag and dry it out. I intend to try this solution on my 01 530d touring. My 98 520i suffers from minor condensation that sorts itself out after a good long drive. Use a hair dryer to warm the lens units after first removing all bulbs and sealing covers. This should be done on a dry sunny day (doesent look like that we will get one of these for a while) taking care not to overheat any area of the headlamp unit. I have figured out that driving around in daylight with the dip beams illuminated adds to the condensation.   Many short runs with the beams illuminated on a daily basis compounds the problem especially in damp weather. Using a car wash or a power washer on warm headlamps will immediately cause the headlamp to draw in air, air that is moisture laden.     
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
oilburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 09:22

At present I dry them out in situ with a vacuum cleaner hose duct-taped to a dehumidifier, but I am getting fed up of this. 

Was looking at getting a new set of lights but you seem to be looking at a grand or so for a proper set suitable for Xenons. 

I picked up a bag of desiccant as used in compressed air dryers, am looking at some method of getting them in via the top cap such that they can also be removed.  Not easy!

Greg.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic