Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Have social networking sites knackered forums ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHave social networking sites knackered forums ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fluffnik View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have social networking sites knackered forums ?
    Posted: 01-February-2011 at 01:02
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

For the users of Facetwit and the like, dont take it
personally. I think that this thread shows that there are
loads of people that read this forum, my initial point
was that it would be nice for people to post here for
anything they do, I remember posts showing great roads
that people had driven on. I personally enjoyed reading
that stuff as I cant normally get away to do that kind of
thing.

I use facebook but I update my status less than once a
month...

I've not really done anything automotive since the
weather got foul but, believe you me, I look forward to
posting of the first mental hoon of the year.

...ask me about fast non-Japanese estate cars on Sunday.     
ALPINA B10 V8 Touring #36
Sponsored Links

fluffnik View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 00:48
Originally posted by nero nero wrote:

It's a problem for all forums and I don't
know the solution is?

I hang out here, PistonHeads, facebook and ClubVR4
mostly.

I tend to post reactively rather than starting threads so
I post most on PH...

I mostly use facebook for its distributed diary functions
and keeping in (vague) touch with long lost friends...

I find that the more I see, or phone, or mail people the
less I feel the need to interact online...

The trouble, for this forum only, is that we get together
in person quite often, and that's no bad thing.   
ALPINA B10 V8 Touring #36
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2011 at 20:51
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2010 at 16:48
Originally posted by Issy Issy wrote:

Originally posted by muppet 2 muppet 2 wrote:

Originally posted by HairyHaggis HairyHaggis wrote:

Heres a good one
for you all [:Big
Smile:]

http://www.enews.org/blog/_pics/YouTube_ConfuseIdiot.jpg
[/I
MG]

so funny i pasted it on facebook.... after being confused
for a bit of course
Ok I am ashamed to admit I got
confused too! At least
I have an excuse (whats yours Sandy?).....Im
blonde and getting worse by the day....think I will
become a red head!!

My excuse... had a stroke... doh!!
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2010 at 19:28
Originally posted by muppet 2 muppet 2 wrote:

Heres a good one for you all [:Big

[IMG]border=0
http://www.enews.org/blog/_pics/YouTube_ConfuseIdiot.jpg[/I
MG]

for a bit of course

Ok I am ashamed to admit I got confused too!
At least I have an excuse (whats yours Sandy?).....Im blonde and getting worse by the day....think I will become a red head!!

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2010 at 17:45

Heres a good one for you all [:Big

[IMG]border=0
http://www.enews.org/blog/_pics/YouTube_ConfuseIdiot.jpg[/I
MG]

for a bit of course
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 18:04

as a veteran/old regular of this forum and previous regular attendee of meets i admit that there's only so much you can take of people repeating the same congratulations ("looks great" etc) when someone changes something insignificant on their car, it gets very old very quickly.

i spend more time looking at the pistonheads forum, a good discussion and very diverse range of topics capture my interest more than a one-make forum these days, much like the meets - i much prefer the car shows since they are hopefully a bit of a mix and with cars unseen and of different marques and ages.

maybe i'm just getting old and/or losing interest... it happens... there are old old regulars that have been and gone when i was an active member too, people get bored or move to other makes of car or simply decide that active club life just isn't their scene and prefer browsing the forum and using it for technical advice and such-like when required.

just my two-cents...

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
HairyHaggis View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairyHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 17:01

Heres a good one for you all

BMW E36 328is M52B28 - SOLD
BMW E36 318is M44 - SOLD
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 16:49

Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

Airse

Now this is more like it....a bit of friendly banter....welcome back everyone!!!

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 15:48
Airse
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairyHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 13:59

Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

....  i'm a technospaz

Coulda just summed it up with a shorter sentence Gary !!!

BMW E36 318is M44 - SOLD
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 13:05

If I talk about my BMW on Facebook I get slagged off, so I come on here and talk about my BMW and get slagged off instead.

I reckon that you get as much from the/any forum as you put into it. 

I like it on here as I have an opportunity to learn new things everyday from reading threads but not necessarily replying to them as I don't feel I know enough to comment on them. 

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 12:59
I think the problem is two fold.

The current reccession and the Proliferation of model specific forums. This coupled with thread content.

I strarted a thread on the restoration of my Sport Evo 2007/08 and ran to 10 pages. But this is generally only done once in your life time unless your crap at resto's or loaded.

I don't use facet**t or any of that stuff as i'm a technospaz, so can't really comment on their effect on forums.

In short we need people to post so others can respond.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 12:40

loads of stuff
Fair points, extremely well made

For the users of Facetwit and the like, dont take it personally. I think that this thread shows that there are loads of people that read this forum, my initial point was that it would be nice for people to post here for anything they do, I remember posts showing great roads that people had driven on. I personally enjoyed reading that stuff as I cant normally get away to do that kind of thing.

We have a saying in my other hobby regarding allocated space in the radio spectrum "use it or lose it" and I'd like to see the forum flourish and not die away is all I'm trying to say.

Edited by Cambell
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 12:34
I currently work for a social network, and I can see similarities and differences in both.

social Networks are where people add their friends who they know personally and post about themselves and friends reply.

Forums are where people meet with anyone and post about the forum theme i.e. BMW.  You then get to know people, have a meet, add them to your social network and the vicious cycle starts again
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairyHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 12:00

The way I see it after reading all the threads on this is that there are two catagories of people.

Private people, and open people basically.

The thing about FaceBook, which I am a user of, and forums, again which I am a user of is that both of them are optional ... its up to the user of said accounts what they post. So if people wanna say just been to the shops, then they can ... if your following or interested in what people are up to then yeah ... you can read it ... its a choice, a lifestyle choice, which people can opt in to do.

I for one find that a place like FaceBook can be a good way of keeping all your friends (all of which have to be invited or accepted by the way) so no need for 16990 artificial friends as you say Campbell but I see your point on that mate.

I will be honest here ... I login here at least twice a day ... normally in the morning when I get to work for reading new stuff during my coffee and rolls :) and then when I get home also I login for a nosey see whats happened during the day.

Why I come here is that it is localised and specific. If i wanna talk about BMW or ask about BMW, then I come here ... I dont know as much as I want so I read, and I dont talk as much as I dont know ti all.

This forum is more a personal thing where its a minority of friends that I want to keep close and love dearly, whereas the FaceBook thing .. its more for fun, and unwinding ... and yeah I have posted the I Hate Mondays thing .. and the mindless nonsense, but its linked to what I do for work and a career path I choose also, so its good free advertising in my eyes.

As for the thread on progress, there is a section dedicated to Journals on the E36Coupe.com forum which I read daily also as I am interested.

Since I got my car 18 months ago, I have done loads to it ... and who on here knows what I have done? Only the people I have told about it. I for one would be up for a jounal or progress section, and its easy to do, but can also lead to the general feel of the forum being changed from an enthusists site to a chavved up site.

Journals section is a good idea, but should be kept up. I have only ever seen Pauls one, and now Roddy has started one, and looks to be a good project, but my project has halted fue to funds now.

To sum up: Social Networking and Forums ar two totally different entities, and cannot be compared to each other, as they are inherintly different in their own rights, but both of which are opt in for each owns personal reasons.

Right ... coffee time ... again :)

BMW E36 318is M44 - SOLD
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 08:59

Long time no see by the way!!

Yeh its been a while, not been to a meet in ages! 
Finally looking to move back to Edinburgh... So been very busy trying to make that happen! Hoping things will get back to normality soon...

Edited by alym786
E46 328ci now sold :(
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 08:40

Originally posted by alym786 alym786 wrote:

Have to agree with Cambell here
Very wise

Maybe people are not doing as much to their cars as they used to. I look forward to Roddy's proposed thread with interest.

Think you might find it was me who suggested that!!!!

Think you'll find that in my 1st post, I requested people post stuff here instead of the likes of twitbook......reading lessons anyone ???

Wee bit of a misunderstanding going on here me thinks! I can read fine thanks!

I was meaning the fact that maybe people are not doing as much to their cars as they used too hence not so many things to post on here. No matters anyway Roddy has started the ball rolling so lets see what happens.

Edited by Issy

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 07:21

Have to agree with Cambell here
Very wise

Maybe people are not doing as much to their cars as they used to. I look forward to Roddy's proposed thread with interest.

Think you'll find that in my 1st post, I requested people post stuff here instead of the likes of twitbook......reading lessons anyone ???
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2010 at 23:49

Sorry didn't read the whole thread, was too busy on Facebook!!!

Hahaha brilliant Aly!!
Long time no see by the way!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic