Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW Run Flats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW Run Flats
    Posted: 13-September-2010 at 11:52

My mate's just bought a 118d with the dreaded run-flat tyres.

I told him he could fit normal tyres & carry a get-you-home can however the salesman says he has to have new wheels because the run-flats have a special lip on them.

I told him this was bullsh1t. Am I right?

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 12:43

Of course the salesman will tell him that....He gets another sale from the poor mug.

Non runflat tyres will fit on runflat rims.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 18:33
BS!!!!!!!!!!
 Lots of it.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2010 at 19:37
As I thought.

Funnily enough, he'd never heard of the swirlflap problem either!!!

AndyS

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2010 at 08:26

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Funnily enough, he'd never heard of the swirlflap problem either!!!

TBH, that's exactly what I was thinking when I first read this thread. 

He has far bigger things to worry about than run flat tyres on that car!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2010 at 12:45

My mate's just bought a 118d

Did you ask him what the hell he was thinking...

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2010 at 16:52
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

My mate's just bought a 118d

Did you ask him what the hell he was thinking...

Now now Peter, it could have been worse, he could have bought a 116d

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2010 at 22:17

True 

I work with a bloke who has a 120d msport. Not a nice looking car, has had plenty of electrical niggles and is unbeliveably cramped inside. I'm only about 5'10" and it's just so cramped inside it's not true.

I genuinely would have a Focus ST instead.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2010 at 23:16

True 

I work with a bloke who has a 120d msport. Not a nice looking car, has had plenty of electrical niggles and is unbeliveably cramped inside. I'm only about 5'10" and it's just so cramped inside it's not true.

Funny, I'm just under 6ft & far from a beanpole & I don't feel cramped. He's a similar height & he's tried it for size (including the child seat in the rear) & is happy with the interior space.

As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I rather like the 1-series, especially as a 3 door or convertible.

I genuinely would have a Focus ST instead.

Well that's your credibity out the window. . .

Anyway, he's going from a Mondeo 2.2d which was bought new & has had no end of problems.

FWIW - Ford have had exactly the same problems with their swirlflaps

AndyS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2010 at 20:15
Nothing wrong with the Focus, especialy the ST. It's a very good car. I konw we're fans of BMWs but lets not fall into the trap of thinking everything with propeller badge is best.

I guess the interior space issue is a personal perspective but I just felt cramped inside the 1 series. Like everything from the door handles to the dash were all just a little bit too close for comfort. Put a rear seat passenger in and it gets even worse. Better then the Mini though.

My old Focus had loads more room and could accomodate 4 adults with ease. The guy who owns the 1 series is 6'3" and has to have the baby seat behind the passenger seat as there is no room for his sons legs if he has his seat positioned correctly.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2010 at 23:01
Trust me, I'm not a blinkered BMW devotee. If I was in the market for a new 5, 6 or 7-series sized car I wouldn't be looking at BMW, it would be Jaguar.

Similarly, if I was in the market for a Focus ST-sized car I'd be looking at a Golf GT/GTI even though I was a passionate Ford man from the 1970's until the early '80's. Call it an image thing if you want but from the Sierra Cosworth onwards fast Fords have always had a strong whiff of chav about them.

My daily drive is an E36 convertible - not the most spacious of cars but not especially cramped (nor was my E30). My E24 635 has more room but  not to any particular benefit. Getting in to my friends Mondeo (last of the previous to current shape) I always thought the cabin felt very narrow, even compared to my E36. Rear leg room was much greater than the 3 or 6-series of course but that's to be expected, being a 4 door saloon.

In fact, most "mid-sized" modern cars (Mondeo/Vectra etc) feel cramped (don't even try & get 3 guys in the back for anything more than a short journey). I don't know if it's due to the modern trend for massive A, B & C pillars but there's a definite reverse Tardis effect going on.

I'm near 6ft & could get comfortable "behind myself" in the 1-series. Yes, the rear door apertures were a little small but given the amount of time people get carried in the back of cars (see how many cars have only 1 or 2 people in) it's no big deal. If it is, don't bitch about how cramped it is, just get a bigger car. Problem solved. After all, the 1-series is sold as a "compact" car in the BMW lineup.

As a point of reference, the current 3-series coupe is only 5" or so shorter than an E34 5-series saloon and the E46 coupe is 2" wider than an E24 6-series.

AndyS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2010 at 11:41

Similarly, if I was in the market for a Focus ST-sized car I'd be looking at a Golf GT/GTI

Never been a fan of the Golf and i'm not convinced about the reliability of VWs these days. Mind you i'm not convinced about the reliability of any German car these days. They have built a reputation for reliable car like the french have for fine wine. Trouble is most French wine i've tasted is cack.

It's a good job BMWs are so good to drive...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 08:14

FWIW - Ford have had exactly the same problems with their swirlflaps

?

I've been on Ford forums for a few years......but I have never heard anything about Ford Flap Failing

The odd turbo failure (less so than the BMW failures) mostly on the units that were fitted in the Mondeo and its tarted up sister, the X Type.

You are right about fast Fords having a smell of chav about them.  I was once considering a Sierra Cosworth but could I find one that hadn't been chavved, no!  They had all been abused with lowering, chav exhausts, chav alloys and stoopid lights.  I wanted an unmolested one but none locally were virigins

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 09:10
I've often found rear legroom a problem with the BMWs I've owned. Wasn't too bothered with the E30's but with the E36 compact it was a bit awkward with a child-seat when our first came along (had to be put behind the passenger seat as well - I'm 6'2") but we managed. Now kiddy number 2 is here we needed something a bit bigger so the ti had to go hence the Swedish sled (Volvo T5 estate).
The inlaws have a Mondy 5 door (last shape) oilburner and its a great car, plenty of room and pretty comfy - the only gripe is the clutch which bites like a pit-bull.
The only car we considered from BMW was a 7 series for rear legroom and boot-size but running costs put us off - or a 5 series touring at a push. Also looked at Subaru Foresters but low mpg plus small tank along with high tax put us off them.
BIL got a Focus estate and wished he'd kept his Passat.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic