Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEbay problem or is it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebay problem or is it?
    Posted: 29-November-2010 at 12:39

Here is one to ponder.

I bought an item on 27th Oct.  I went to pay via Paypal.  There was a problem with the sellers Paypal and it wouldn't work.  I contacted the seller, they responded that their Paypal had been hacked, can I send a cheque or use internet banking.  I e-mail back to say I'll send a cheque and to request their name and address. 

28th Oct. Got an e-mail back with their name and address stating that they would post the item a few days after paying the cheque into their bank account.

I posted off a cheque on 29th Oct. 

I e-mailed the seller to say I had posted the cheque and could they let me know when they receive my cheque and when they will post the item.  I sent this recorded delivery. 29th Oct

The seller collected my cheque from their local Postal Sorting Office on 5th Nov.  I have a copy of their signature on collection.

I had not had a response from the seller so on the 13th Nov I sent an e-mail just to check everything was o.k.

No response

Cheque was cashed/money left my account on 16th Nov.

25th Nov, not heard from seller nor seen item so I sent an futher e-mail asking if everything was o.k.

29th Nov 12.35, still nothing. 

Am I worrying too early? I can't help but think that the e-mail I sent on the 13th prompted the cheque to be cashed within the next few days so I'm wondering if my e-mail on the 25th will prompt a dispatch.

I have bought from this seller before and it was 100% spot on.  The item I have bought plus postage came to less than 17.  I know it's not huge value and I can no doubt source another item, it's more the principal of the whole thing that I'm a bit angry about.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Ta

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2010 at 15:14

If you haven't had any communication or response in that time I'd say you should be concerned. 

You could e-mail again and let them know that if they don't respond in a specific time frame that you will be forced to leave negative feedback on e-bay.  The downside is that it may give them a warning and they may try to beat you to it on negative feedback.

The alternative, bearing in mind that you have given them several opportunities to respond, is to leave the negative feedback and then e-mail them again.  You can always update it.

Option 2 would be my suggestion.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 08:52
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

The alternative, bearing in mind that you have given them several opportunities to respond, is to leave the negative feedback and then e-mail them again.  You can always update it.

If you leave negative feedback I didn't think you could reverse it?

Thanks

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 09:33
Open up a dispute and if no response to that escalate to a claim.

BTW, your braver than I, sending someone you do not know and possibly, cannot trace a personal cheque, as he/she now has your full(?) name, address, bank account #, sort code and signature.

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 10:22

Originally posted by Andrew RollandIf you leave negative feedback I didn't think you could reverse it?[/QUOTE Andrew RollandIf you leave negative feedback I didn't think you could reverse it?[/QUOTE wrote:

AFAIK, there is a process where the seller can request you to revise your feed

AFAIK, there is a process where the seller can request you to revise your feedback, you get a mail inviting you to change it and you can accept or decline the request.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 13:31

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

BTW, your braver than I, sending someone you do not know and possibly, cannot trace a personal cheque, as he/she now has your full(?) name, address, bank account #, sort code and signature.

This is what Mr Clarkson said.  He published all of the above stating that no one could do anything with that info...but someone managed to do something with his account.

I suppose you take that risk when you pay for anything by cheque.

I have left a voicemail on their mobile, polietly asking them if everything is o.k. and could they respond to my e-mails.

If nothing by tomorrow I'll start the escalation process.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ollii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2010 at 16:57
Hi , i had a problem with an item i bought on ebay - was a dress which was a complete wreck totally unwearable. Anyway i sent several emails to the seller asking to sort it out, but no reply. I didnt leave negative feedback as i was hoping to resolve it amicably. Eventually after about 4 weeks i contacted ebay - they were really helpful - i didnt even have to speak to anyone - all done by email. They gave me a date by which time the case would be resolved but the seller didnt contact ebay  or me until ebay actually escalated the case. Ebay then acted as judge and jury and actually took the money from the sellers account and put it in mine and even told me i didnt have to return the dress - (but i did). It was probably about 6 weeks from the day i received the dress to getting the money back. Hope you get it sorted, xx
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2010 at 08:56

Thanks ollii, glad you got it sorted.  That's the job for lunch time, e-mail ebay....

I have paid by cheque not paypal, will that affect my chances of a refund?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2010 at 16:47

I've opened a resolution case in Ebay.

Ebay are saying because I din't pay via Paypal, I'm not covered by the Ebay protection thingie.

The thing that gets me most is the fact that the sellers Paypal account was not working (it had been hacked) so if I wanted the item I would have to pay via cheque!

The seller has till 11.12.10 to respond then I can escalate....

The joys continue.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2010 at 13:33

Oh poo.

I contacted others who have "bought" from this seller, they have also been stung.  They paid by cheque also.  Ebay flung out their case as Paypal was not used.

Fingers burnt, leason learned, chalk it up to experience.

Paypal only!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2010 at 21:39
A nice scam. You live and learn.

Bad luck mate.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 08:18

Thanks Peter, I know but considering that it was for less than 17, you would think if they were going to scam someone they would do it for a bit more than that?  I could see a scam for 170 but 17 it's not worth the hassle or risk IMO, but then again I'm a law abiding person.

They have a high number of positive feedbacks previously, only appears in the last month that it's gone pear shaped.

Anyhoo there is a similar item back up for sale on Ebay and this time the sellers Paypal is working.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ollii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 16:33
Aw damn - was hoping youd got it sorted ! Its so annoying when you cant do anything about it - well at least you didn't lose too much i suppose  : )  Ps thanks for your advice re my alternator - have had a new one fitted for just under £300 - so will see if this is the end of my problems ! Have to say I'm not a huge BMW fan now - dont think i will be buying an old one again !! Back to reliable Saab or VW next time !!
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2010 at 17:40

Originally posted by ollii ollii wrote:

Have to say I'm not a huge BMW fan now - dont think i will be buying an old one again !! Back to reliable Saab or VW next time !!

o/t, but don't be put off too soon.  We've put about 370k miles on our BMW's over the past 12 years and had no major issues.  This contrasts with the experience I had with a Golf GTI and an Audi A4 that had plenty of niggly problems.  You may just have had a bad experience in the way that I probably did with my VAG cars.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2010 at 12:41

What a suprise, no response to e-mails by 11.12.10.  Case now escalated to Ebay customer services.  Will wait and see. 

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the same item to be posted from a different seller. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ollii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 10:13
What a **** that person is ! I hope it gets sorted for you - keep us posted !!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 13:20

Ebay got back to me this morning.

F off was the jist.  Didn't use Paypal so no refund!

The Polis would just laff it off, not worth the 17....

Meanwhile I did manage to get the same item from a different seller last week.

So it cost me twice as much but hey ho.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 21:32
Hmm, banks can trace the the sellers address via the account the cheque was paid into.. Maybe worth dropping an email to the police anyway outlining the sellers details etc. Can't hurt.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 08:46
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I contacted others who have "bought" from this seller, they have also been stung.  They paid by cheque also. 

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

The Polis would just laff it off, not worth the 17.... 

You could always contact the other buyers. The total may well be a lot more than 17.

Either way, it's worth running it by the Police.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2010 at 12:01

I'll mibbie go and see the Polis over the holidays, when I've got a bit more time.

Thanks guys.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic