Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede39 speedo,abs,asc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e39 speedo,abs,asc
    Posted: 08-December-2010 at 13:23

hi there just wondering can anyone help me. i have a 01 520i and i was driving in the snow and the abs and asc light came on and stayed on and the speedo stoped working.Now the abs and asc does not work.i would be very happy if somebody could help me out with the situatition.

thank you

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 17:19

Welcome to the forum

The ASC system would have been working overtime in the snow.  I have heard of a number of manufacturers cars who throw up traction control/ABS system failures after slipping in the snow then reset back to normal once the traction improves next time the car is driven.

Each wheel on the E39 5 Series has a wheel sensor which detects the speed of each wheel as it rotates.  These sensors are used as inputs for ASC, ABS, speedo, trip computer, automatic transmission.

The E39 is prone to wheel sensor failures but they can sometimes throw the odd warning off then are fine after leaving the car for a few hours or overnight. 

If the fault light stays on persistantly then you more than likely have a failed sensor.  You do need to get a diagnostic check done to confirm which one of the sensors is faulty.  This costs 1 hours labour, it's a standard thing.

A new wheel sensor is about £60 from Eurocar Parts and can be fitted yourself if you are handy with a spanner.  I replaced both the front sensors on my E39.  Takes about 30 mins, you need to remove the road wheel, a 5 mm Allen key for the sensor bolts and the sensor unplugs from the wiring loom within the wheel arch.  Reffiting is reversal of removal except you swear in different places.  You don't need to reset the diagnostic system on refitting as the system recognises the new signal and resets.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
gerry520i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 18:27

cheers andrew my mate has a bmw diagnostic kit i will try that first .thanks for your help i will let you know how i get on!

gerry

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic