FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTransmission failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission failure
    Posted: 07-February-2011 at 18:53
Andrew its not sorted yet got call from them this morning to say car wld be ready today so i phoned BMW UK for heads up on gesture ,they said it had been declined due to form saying it was down to wear n tear ,so got back onto Harry Fairbairns was told service manager was off on holiday so i spoke to warranty claims n told him about the conversation i had with service manager about it not being wear n tear n how he agreed with me it wasnt ,so warranty manager said he wld get it sorted for me n there must have been a breakdown in communications he will get back n let me know,hope its tomorrow cause they phoned earlier to say its ready ,fingers crossed or i'll need to sell one o the weans
Breath out on the way up
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 08:12

Feck, if you weren't under warranty or in your case, a goodwill gesture, you would have to sell a kidney.

Would be good to see some pictures.....Glad you got it sorted.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2011 at 07:44
Flippin heck !!!!!!!
wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2011 at 20:45

well got the call today bad news clutch plate had faild first i was told it was down to wear n tear then he said the plate had shattered ,so i said if it had shattered then it was surely down to mechanical failure as i didnt feel any slipping just a sudden stop failure ,so i went up to see for myself n there where no marks on the flywheel or the pressure plate and the clutch plate was shattered into a hundred bits ,so i told him i was unhappy with the outcome with mondial n i would phone bmw uk ,which i did ,beforehand i asked the service manager if he would back up my beleive that it had shattered n no sign of wearing or slipping which he said he would so got in touch with bmw customer services ,explained to her the problem about mondial decision and she said to me to ask dealer to submit a goodwill request form on my behalf,so its in the process of being done today bill is so far £2585.47

will post some pics of clutch tomorrow as over in mates house for fri night whisky tasteing session  

Edited by wetbell
Breath out on the way up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2011 at 12:07

For some reason I had missed the post that mentioned the fact that it was an M5!  Makes sense now about transmission failure warning light etc.

Hmm does the M in M5 really stand for Money? 

Keep us posted.  The workshop foreman at Giffnock is very good.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2011 at 10:04
sorry Andrew try £1000 for clutch ,ouch ,£350 to remove gearbox £75 for diagnostic
Breath out on the way up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2011 at 07:51

Anything that wears out due to use i.e. discs, pads and clutches are about the only things that aren't covered by the BMW warranty.  Its fairly bombproof otherwise.

New clutch at BMW, hmm, £500 ish inc parts and labour.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 18:47
been told if its the clutch plate failing due to wear n tear then its down to me but there was no sign of it slipping be 4 hand gary
Breath out on the way up
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 17:58
Huckin fell mate. Hope it is under warranty

Edited by gary
wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 17:47

Andrew its an E60 M5 smg i asked the tech that phoned n i asked did it have a clutch since it was smg n he said it did  they will check tomorrow so here's hoping its the flywheel ,the one in giffnock

Yea campbell might do that ,although i might have to sell one o the weans if not under warranty to pay for it lol

Breath out on the way up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 17:32

I'm assuming its a manual as you are talking about flywheels and plates etc.  I didn't think that there was a warning light for a manual box failure, obviously there must be.  If it is an auto then everything would be covered as there are (in BMWs eyes and mind) no serviceable parts in an autobox so any warranty would cover it.

What kinda Beamer do you have?

Which Fairbairns did you take it to?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 16:46

Hope its a warranty job mate.

Doesnae matter what you're driving, get yourself through for a bit of lunch and banter.

wetbell View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2011 at 16:09

well it happened tue driving home without any warning red transmission warning light came on n car would not drive after stopping,car is now in Harry Fairbairns ,got call today n they think its a clutch problem lets hope its the flywheel n not the plate then it will be covered so will find out tomorrow hopefully ,got a passat just now so prob wont make the meet not unless we come through in my mates 330d m sport 

Edited by wetbell
Breath out on the way up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic