Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGreen around the gills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roygough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green around the gills
    Posted: 01-March-2011 at 21:19

Hi
I've migrated here from the the 7 series register. My 4th 7 in a row (2 x E32's and 2 x E38's), a lovely R reg E38 4.4 V8 in drug dealer black, went to meet its maker after a complete tiptronic box failure with a potential £1500 bill (that's all I paid for it!).

Just happened that a friend of my was trading in his '01 525i with M Sport body pack that he has had from new at the same time.

Needed a tidy up and a few bits. But got it for silly money.

Full Valet - Done (What a difference! Discovered it's blue now)
Battery Drain - Done, hedgehog heater unit
O/S ball joint - Done
R/O wheel sensor - Done but still shows faulty after a while (?)
Fuel Trim faults - Replacement MAF on the way
Cam Sensor - To do shortly
Rubbish Replacement Clarion powered screen audio - Still have the original BMW panel and head unit but can't find the ISO plug yet

Overall I'm impressed with the car. Obviously hasn't got the interior space and leisurely grunt of the massive V8 but I'm enjoying driving it - just missing some of the 7 series toys!

Edited by roygough
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2011 at 11:22

Welcome Roy.  I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the e39.  Most of the issues you mentioned are pretty standard e39 wear and tear items so you should be all set for a while.

I'm nudging 130k miles of e39 driving between this and the previous car and think they are a fantastic piece of kit. 

The only thing making me think of looking elsewhere in the BMW range at the moment is that my need for 4 doors on a daily driver has pretty much gone away.  I've nearly always kept a coupe as a summer toy but it might be time to take a coupe as the daily driver and a soft top for the summer toy.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2011 at 17:37

Welcome to the fourm.

The E39 is a fine car. My 530i was the best car i've ever owned.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic