Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLPG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetzRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPG
    Posted: 25-March-2011 at 00:03
This my first post so firstly, hi all!!

I am thinking of buying another E38 and was wondering about fuel costs?

Would anyone know what would work out more economical between a 728i petrol and a 740i that has been LPG converted??

Edited by LetzRock
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2011 at 08:49

Get the V8, get the V8...........

Sensible head back on...Welcome to the forum. 

The 740i will be a thirsty beast but it's a V8, did I mention that before?. The 728i gets a good write up in terms of being the best 7er to buy as once you start getting upwards in the engine displacement department the fuel costs outweigh the joys.

It would make sense converting a big older car into a LPG muncher, the boot would be big enough to take a reasonable tank, but it will cost anywhere between £1,000 and £2,000 to get a good conversion done. 

Will you actually get this back in terms of the saving in fuel?  That is the real sums that you need to do.  Will you keep the car long enough to make a saving?

LPG is about £0.70 a litre, unleaded for me is about £1.29. a litre so thats about a 45% saving straight away but an engine run on LPG isn't as economical as an engine burning unleaded, so you need to take that into consideration.  There are a number of LPG converting companies that now advertise on the TV, you've got nothing to loose by giving them a call.

If you live anywhere near me (Renfrewshire) you will struggle to actually find a petrol station that actually sells the piggin' gas.  And you may mind you end up running it on unleaded!

There has been discussions on here about LPG conversion but I don't know if anyone has actually done it.  I've looked into it but it just doesn't stack up for me as I can't buy the stuff in my local area where my car spends 99% of its crusing time.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
LetzRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetzRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2011 at 09:24
thanks Andrew I actually have the option to buy an already converted 740i so that expense is gone so i just wanted to know if anyone had an idea which would work out cheaper to run??
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2011 at 11:20

Ahhh, right that changes things a bit.  I don't have a feel for the mpg figures but there might not be much in it in terms of cost to run per mile then and it's then down to preference.

I would look at what mileage is on the 740i and what toys are on it and what toys still work compared to what's on the available 728is

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
LetzRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetzRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 23:58
Just thought I'd give you an update Andrew I bought the 740i lpg! "as if that wasn't going to be my choice all along lol" and I'm very happy with it so far... It has 166k miles on it and it's a 2000 with plenty of toys. but i can't get the phone to work I've posted this in another thread but thought i would just mention it here also, the read out on the phone says "check card" which i've done with o2 and the card is fine so if you've any ideas they'de be most welcome!! 
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2011 at 22:56
I have run 730s and 728s on LPG for the last 16 years with no problems. The mileage is around 25 to 27 overall with up to 32 on a run in the UK, and more on the Autobahn. I do about 20K miles a year. Compared to petrol, the performance is up a little, (1 second a lap at Croft last time I measured it).

Cost of a good conversion for a 6 cylinder engine is not less than £1700, and probably more for the 8 cylinder. By Good, I mean one that uses the ecu of the car, and has an injector for every cylinder. Do not buy a system that has less injectors than cylinders, as they tend to blow up your inlet manifold or airbox when there is a back fire.

As to obtaining gas, I tour Scotland regularly and have never had a problem finding gas.
Visit http://www.lpgmap.co.uk/ for a list of gas suppliers, and download them all into your satnav Use a TOM TOM - the BMW one probably will not have points of interest. I stick my Tom Tom on the screen of the BMW sat nav in my current 2001 728i.

If I am down on gas, I just tell Tom Tom to take me to the nearest station. Usually upwards of 20 stations within 50 miles or so. In the North of Scotland there are not so many, but Oban and Aberdeen always have LPG, and there are more every year.

Its worth deviating up to 20 miles off route rather than running on petrol - especially in Scotland. LPG near me costs from £0.685 a litre and petrol from 132 for 3 star.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic