Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhelp with high oil consumption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with high oil consumption
    Posted: 26-March-2011 at 16:07
my E39 2002 84k miles needs a litre of oil every 250 miles.
there is no signs of an oil leak. she runs grad when i top her up and a bit rough when shes ruinning low. she passed the NCT no problem when she was using 1L ever 500 miles a year ago but the consumption is getting worse unfortunately.

I would like to sort this out myself so im planning on targeting the CVV for replacement and then the valve cover gaskets if there is little improvement.
Is this a good way to go or is there more likely causes? any help appreciated...
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2011 at 10:33
Start with doing the CCV and see where that gets you.

If you can see obvious leaks from the cam cover gasket then replace it but otherwise leave it.

The CCV is a common problem on the petrol 6 cylinder models which I assume yours is?
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2011 at 09:16
yes its 6 cylinder. ill go for the ccv then as planned. thks for the input. 

Edited by Ishindar
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2011 at 14:42
what's a CVV please??
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2011 at 18:28
Crankcase/oil Seperator valve

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l251/jfive96/BMW/CCVReplac ement002.jpg

Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 15:18
i replaced the ccv and related hoses. nice improvement in fuel efficiency and smoother ride so it was well worth the effort!
my oil consumption improved to a litre every 330miles.
its still obviously too high so i need to take this further.

i have done a lot of research and it seems likely to be a problem with valve guides and piston rings. although i cant seem to find a diy guide for this? any help here appreciated...

Im thinking of going for the Valve cover gasket and vanos seals next.
any ideas?

Edited by Ishindar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 10:05

Valve guides and piston rings is a very big involved job. The piston rings involves stripping the engine so you'd have to have all the kit before you even consider attempting it. Valve guides will require the cylinder head to be removed and then you would need to get new guides fitted by a speciallist.

I'd start with the gaskets you mentioned.

Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 13:40
thanks for the input Peter. im hoping something will show up when i do the vanos and valve cover gasket.

if i have to then take it further i would be confident enough to tackle the valve guides and piston rings myself if i could source a guide of some sort.  
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 18:14
i got a good tip..... if u have an oil patch in the spot circled in the picture, your oil filter gasket has failed and is leaking.

i noticed i had this oil patch while doing my ccv!

i just replaced my oil filter gasket today, cost 5euro
hope it goes someway to solving my problems.

i have new vanos seals on the way so ill be doing the valve cover gasket and vanos seals soon and hope thats the end of my leak!

Edited by Ishindar
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 18:17
the picture didnt work 

check about 2/3 the way down this forum page...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=657887&hig hlight=oil+consumption&page=2

Edited by Ishindar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 11:08
I hope this solves the problem. Given how expensive the correct oil is you can't afford to be topping it up all the time...
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 17:07
agreed, oil costs the guts of 500e a year at my initial burn rate. it adds up very fast.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 00:12

Just out of interest, what grade of oil are you using, and fully or part synthetic ?

My reason for asking is my 2000 E39 5281 lists part synth as an option, and is what I've used, (I can't remember if it's 10W 40 or 15W 40 as it never needs topping up), and doesn't use a litre in 15,000 ish miles.

My neighbours 2001 3.0 litre Z3 lists only 0W 40 or 5W 40 fully synthetic , and his uses about a litre every thousand miles.

I spoke to my main dealer when I first saw the difference in the handbooks, and they said BMW swapped them to fully synthetic around 2001, so they'd have used part synth in mine when it was new, and they didn't think I'd gain anything by swapping over now.

There are far more knowledgeable people than me on the forum, and you have the handbook for yours, I'm just wondering if the thicker semi synthetic may help your problem ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 11:01
i read a lot about oil recently due to suggestions that thicker grades help with leaks.
i dont remember the specifics but in 2001 BMW customer service changed the oil grades due to a non engineering issue.
the engineers in BMW developed the engines with the oil as listed in the BMW handbook and their engines are spec'd using this oil.
BMW apparently stand by both grades.

personally im using castrol 5w 30 fully synthetic.

thicker oil can help with leaks as it wont pass as easily through failed gaskets etc. i prefer for the moment to use the correct oil and replace all the failed gaskets etc. and hope that solves my problems before going down the dodgy route of thicker oils.

atm im waiting on vanos seals to arrive as im pretty sure ive a leak from my valve cover gasket and i want to do the vanos at the same time. the vanos seals replacement is reported to give a significant boost in performance.

Edited by Ishindar
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 11:08

I wasn't thinking specifically of leaks ..... of course fix any of those that appear.

I was suggesting that engines designed for thicker oils, will of course have a much higher oil consumption if thinner oils are chosen.

Good luck

Best Wishes

Nigel

Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2011 at 20:22
thanks Nigel

replaced the valve cover gasket and vanos seals today.
had the opportunity to take a good look from underneath.
spotted one definite leak spot but not sure what it is, i took a pic and put it here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/dsc00707n.jpg

anyone know what might cause this?

topped her up with oil(mobile 1 new life 0w40) and coolant. now need to clock up some miles to get an idea if there is improvement in the leak rate.
can wait to check out the benefits of new vanos seals

Edited by Ishindar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 12:26
Looked at the picture but can't tell which bit we're supposed to be looking at.
Ishindar View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2011 at 13:33
the part steeped in black oil. i think its the manual transmission oil box.

i hear its caused from oil dripping down from the valve cover gasket. hard to imagine as its a long way away..... im hoping it is the case because then my problem is solved.

the car now drives like new with the new ccv and vanos seals.
the vanos seals made a massive difference to the feel of the drive. i would highly recommend replacing them to anyone and its a relatively easy diy.
took me about 6 hours at a leisurely pace.

if u have an E39 u need to to the vanos right now! the improvement is immense. I had no issues with my vanos and my e39 drove nicely, now it drives amazingly sweet  

Edited by Ishindar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic