Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEddie Stobart - RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eddie Stobart - RIP
    Posted: 31-March-2011 at 22:56
RIP
Edward Stobart Edward Stobart ran the Eddie Stobart lorry firm for more than three decades. Photograph: Graham Turner for the Guardian

Haulage magnate Edward Stobart, who ran the Eddie Stobart lorry empire for more than three decades, has died at the age of 56.

Stobart was managing director of Eddie Stobart Ltd, a business started by his father Eddie in the 1950s. Eddie Stobart is now in his 80s.

He died on Thursday morning at University hospital, Coventry, after suffering from heart problems.

Stobart is credited with having built up the brand. He first became involved in the company towards the end of the 1960s, and oversaw its growth from a regional supplier in Cumbria to a giant of the haulage industry, with a cult following.

From beginnings in agriculture and then as a road haulage company, the company has expanded into rail and air transport, as well as logistics management and warehousing. But haulage operations continue, with the distinctive trucks operating throughout Europe.

The individually named trucks attracted an "Eddie spotting" fanbase, which subsequently led to an official fan club and a merchandising operation selling Stobart-branded goods. The fan club has more than 25,000 members.

In 2004, Stobart sold the company to his brother William and business partner Andrew Tinkler.

The Stobart Group said: "It is with great sadness and regret that Stobart Group shares the news that Edward Stobart has passed away. Our thoughts are with Edward's wife Mandy, his children and family at this difficult time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/mar/31/edward-stobar t-dies-eddie-stobart
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2011 at 23:06
I just saw that online. How sad!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic