Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede36 328i Woes......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e36 328i Woes......
    Posted: 11-April-2011 at 10:22

Guys

Couple of issues hoping someone might help me with…

1997 e36 328i SPORT….

1. I’ve had 3 sets of fan blades recently as they keep breaking and I don’t know why….

I had to replace the first lot after the cowling came loose and broke a couple blades off. So I replaced the fan and cowling. A couple weeks later I noticed that there was a blade missing, so I changed the blades again making sure everything was secure and tight. The fan wasn’t fouling anything. There seemed no good reason that the blade should be missing.

Now there are 6 blades missing and it is defo defo not fouling anything…. Please help. Could this just be a bad batch of blades…. I spun it by hand for ages, then started the car and watched it for ages. The blades aren’t hitting anything…. I don’t understand

1. Going down motorway yesterday the car lost power 3 separate times. It just stared to slow down and I floored the throttle and nothing happened. There deceleration was not as urgent as if I had lifted the throttle all together, but the car just died (engine kept running). Any clues??

1. My fuel gauge goes from full to empty and flashed back up again every now and again. Obviously this is a dodgy connection, but where?? Also when it came back on it claimed the tank was ¾ full and I knew for a fact it was almost empty. Any ideas??

Cheers to all

Sponsored Links

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2011 at 13:44
Sorry mate I'm not much help here but you could try e36coupe.com
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 07:58
Is it an electric fan or the engine driven viscous fan?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 09:11
I would say that probelm '1' was a faulty VC if the blades on the VC fan are then ones vanishing.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 10:51

2. I had a similar problem in a Focus once. I never got to the bottom of it but i suspected it was an intermittant problem with the fuel pump.  The engine only needs a bit of fuel pressure to run at idle but needs a lot more to rev.

3. Bad connection on the sender unit located inside the tank.

The pump/sender unit is all one item so you might just want to replace it to see if it fixes both issues.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 12:16

its a viscous fan......

i stood and watched it for 5 mins, wasnt striking anything......

so much work and still problems - oh woe is me...

think the next one will be a nice young 335i with a long warrenty....

anyone know any issues with e92s...

fancy a 330i / 335i

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2011 at 13:30

335i has quite a few turbo problems I believe.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by stubobby stubobby wrote:

its a viscous fan......

i stood and watched it for 5 mins, wasnt striking anything......

so much work and still problems - oh woe is me...

think the next one will be a nice young 335i with a long warrenty....

anyone know any issues with e92s...

fancy a 330i / 335i

Until the VC engages, i.e. the car is fully up to temp and getting too hot, the fan does not spin with any 'real' speed, not advised but you could stop it with your hand, rolled up newspaper normally the favoured 'tool'.

When the VC engages and the engine needs cooling down that is when it spins at full speed and that is probably when the blades are going missing.

Are there any contact marks on the fan cowel, this will be the give away?

stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2011 at 11:55

from what i can see there is no marks on anything....

none on the cowling, none on the remainin blades...

there are some very slight impressions on the rad which sits very close - but this could've been when the blades actually came off..

i appreciate that the fan only spins are REAL speed when the VC engages as the temp climbs, but i could simulate this by leaving the car running in the garage....

besides even when up to speed - surely the path of the blades doesnt change??

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 09:46
The path of the blades should not change if everything is held as it should be.

Are the blades GSF/Euros's/other or genuine BMW? If they are pattern try a genuine set.

If the cowling is firmly fixed then the only cause of the blades breaking three times is they are not remaining on their axis, either in the fore and aft plane or the left to right. VC, waterpump (although this would definately also have other symptoms) or engine/gearbox mounts allowing excessive movement under load.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 16:52

I'm suprised at this time of year you have manged to get your VC fan to even engage.  My E39 fan only ever came on very occasionally and that was with outside air temps over 20 deg C.  If I had been driving quickly then slowed with high outside air temps then the fan would kick in but only while the car was a slow speeds as the ram air effect is low.

Try a genuine BMW part which will come with a warranty.....

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 17:37

its going into garage tomorrow and after more internet reading i suspect engine mounts....

pls tell me it wont cost toooooo much.....

how do you know if the VC is engaged or not??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2011 at 09:47
Engine mounts shouldn't be too expensive...
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2011 at 10:18
Originally posted by stubobby stubobby wrote:

how do you know if the VC is engaged or not??

Get it right up to temp, allow it to continue idling and listen for the fan engaging is the safe way, the cave man way is to do the above and try to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper.

Edited for speeeling

Edited by Sporty1

stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 10:03

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE....

been into garage - nothing wrong with engine mounts, nothing loose under bonnet.... nothing to find at all - so new fan blades and i'll see how i get on.....

further to the fuel issue - has anyone got any thoughts about the fuel pump and sensor.....?????? ( see point above, start of post)

also i get a slight "cough" sometimes when i nail it... it takes off for a split second and then "coughs" and then goes like aa rocket.... could this all be related to fuel pump and thus fuel pressure???

cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 14:56
I'd replace the fuelpump/sender unit. A new one is about £100 or so but it sounds like it could be the source of your problem.

When was the last time the car had a new fuel filter?

stubobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 19:04
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I'd replace the fuelpump/sender unit. A new
one is about £100 or so but it sounds like it could be the source of
your problem.When was the last time the car had a new fuel filter?

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Help help help......

New fan missing 2 & 1/2 blades already only replaced on Friday .....
What do I do????? One of the blades has split along it's length -
don't get that at all.....

Also I agree bout fuel filter can anyone tell me what I need in terms of
filters/pumps etc and what side I need them for .....

Cheers

Ps - fuel filter bout 7000 miles ago
P

Edited by stubobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 13:10

Your fan is fouling on something, you just need to find out what. I'd get it up to temperature then get someone to sit in the car and rev it hard while you watch the fan.

Fuel pump is under the back seat. You can tell which one because it has a fuel pipe running to it as well as a wiring connector. I believe there is a second sender unit that just has a wiring connection but don't worry about this one.

Replacing the unit takes about 30 minutes if you know what you're doing, just be careful, because fuel vapour can ignite quite easily.

This should help:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Fuel-Pump/E 36-Fuel-Pump.htm

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 13:44
Just do the fan delete mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 14:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic