Forum LockedEngine tick/rattle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine tick/rattle
    Posted: 16-May-2011 at 08:45
In my old E36 328i, the clicking noise was to do with the heating system - harmless. A wee component at the back right of the engine near the firewall. May well be the same thing?
Sponsored Links

John_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 20:28

Duncan
When I start the car from cold and she runs the choke off, its like a cyclical noise if that makes sense, like a cam ticking. It doesn't really go away when warm, can be heard when I pull up 2 the lights, sounds bad.
She going 2 mechanics in the morn, would be useful 2 hav idea of the problem.

Thanks 4 the comment !
John

P.S it seems to be coming from the right rear of the engine, if u were sitting in the car !  Flywheel maybe ???????

Edited by John_boy
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 19:42
John, not that many 130s on the board but plenty of folk with experience of BMW's straight 6. Can you be a bit more descriptive? Where does the noise come from? Is it steady or cyclical? Does it go away once the car warms up?

Cheers,

Duncan
John_boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 14:56

Hi there,

I have recently aquired a 130i msport, great car, but it has developed a ticking/rattle noise when started from cold.

The noise seems to be getting worse, can anyone help, or has anyone experienced this before !

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic