Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked320D powerkit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 320D powerkit
    Posted: 03-June-2011 at 11:06

I have a 320D Msports E92 177bhp (2009)and I am thinking of having the BMW power kit fitted.

The price is about 1750e ,which seems a bit expensive , but is prob worth it if it makes it a better drive.

I have not been able to find any re-views and was wondering if any one has had it done by BMW and if so , is it worth the money and would it shorten the life of the engine/gearbox ?

Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2011 at 12:10

I've no direct experience of these but the advantages are:

It's from BMW so will not invalidate any warranty.

It will have been designed to not take any of the cars exiting mechanicals outside of the tolerable limit so it should not appreciably reduce the life of any of the major components.

It will be something that will add value to your car when you come to sell, unlike other aftermarket tuning options.

The disadvantages are:

It's from BMW so you pay a premium.

It will offer smaller gains than other aftermarket tuning options.

On balance however I'd be tempted to go with the genuine BMW kit on such a new car.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2011 at 10:31

If it's from BMW then there will be no issues with warranty etc.  As long as it's properly documented then re-sale as Peter says, won't be an issue.  Likewise there should be no implications on damaging the engine or transmission.  If it's an auto, provided the torque output of the engine is less than the design input torque for the autobox you will be fine and you won't end up with a puddle of transmission fluid on your driveway.

It does sound expensive so personally, I would use the 1750e towards a different car with more power/better drive in the first place.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic