Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtempture problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tempture problem
    Posted: 07-June-2011 at 00:38
Hi guys I am looking for some help with my 1988 316 m10 the problem is that the temp guage goes up to 3/4 even when i am driving at any speed, i tried to bleed it but there is no bleed screw on the radiator and no axpansion tank the heat is ok inside the car, i flushed out the system changed the anti freeze but still no joy and help greatly appreciated.christo.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2011 at 08:12
Could be a sticking thermostat.  If it is not opening fully it will lead to overheating.  They usually fail open (safe).
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
christo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2011 at 18:53

Hi thanks andrew for your reply,now i tried the thermostat in hot water it opened and closed no problem, the bottom hose does not get warm at all is this normal? cheers again.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2011 at 08:03

Hmm usually if one of the rad hoses doesn't get hot it means that water/coolant isn't flowing into the rad, the flow is controlled by your thermostat.  You've said your thermostat works so...I'm struggling.  Unless there is some form of blockage.  Did you flush out the system.

Or

There could be a fault with the temp sensor, is there any signs that the car is overheating?  But then that wouldn't explain why the radiator hose is cold. 

I'm not familiar with your engine but I wonder if your water pump impeller has sheared off the drive shaft and isn't circulating the coolant hence the overheating and improper flow of water round your cooling system.  The E46/E39 M52 engines had this issue, plastic water pump impellers broke off their shafts and the engine overheats.

HTH

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic