Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElectric adjustable seat retrofit???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric adjustable seat retrofit???
    Posted: 11-June-2011 at 22:28
Today I visited a breaker/seller who is selling fully
electrically adjustable leather seats (with memory,
lumbar/shoulder support etc) for E60 from 2006 MY. I have
partial electric adjustable seats but they are heated
where I am not sure if the seller's seat is also heated
but considering thats high-end seat I would assume it be
to be heated too. How tough would it be to electrically
swap this seat to my car? Would it need new wiring loom,
how big this job is going to be? I don't mind stripping
my car to bits as I have done it before and repeat
doesn't take that long, anyway I am doing cic retrofit by
end of this month so can combine these alongwith.

I can code car myself to enable almost any option so
software wise no issues, I don't need to visit dealer.

He is also selling auto folding ec mirrors (SA430), mine
is manual folding however I found that condition is his
mirror cosmetically isn't great (glass and ec bit was
good) and they are not in glossy shadowline too. So is it
possible to rip-out all the electronic bits from the
mirror and put in my existing mirror housing, I am more
worried about replacing folding motors, they are based in
the triangular mirror base place, would it be possible to
take motor out from that casing and put it in mine?

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 08:26

You can't assume anything when it comes to buying bits from a breakers.  Just because the seats are electric it doesn't make them heated.  I have comfort seats on my E60 (which sounds like this is what you have found) which means everything that moves does so by means of a switch and 12V, but mine aren't heated.  Heated seats are a different option again over and above electric seats so that's another one to tick and pay for when ordering the car from new.  I don't even think they were standard on the 550i, that would have electric seats like mine but that would be it.

As you already have a loom to the seat, I would take a guess that you have the necessary 12V supply to power up the addtional bits that move.  How much is he wanting for the seats?  Can you take them on a return basis if the don't work/fit?

If the folding E60 mirrors are anything like the folding mirrors on the E39 then I wouldn't bother.  They don't fold in by a huge amount so no huge saving in width and the actual visible bit of the mirror glass is significanlty smaller.  The housing is the same sive but in order to fit the gubbins that makes the mirror move they have to shirnk the useful bit of the mirror, i.e. the glass.   Again you would need to mount the switch or whatever it is that makes the fold.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 11:40
Andrew, thanks for your input here. I understand your point here that seats may not be heated, is there a way to identify if seats are heated or not? What is the yellow connector bit under the seat? I couldn't find its part number of realoem, is that for heated seat. Incase breaker's seat isn't heated, is it possible to take out my existing seats heating bit and transfer to the new seats?

I have spent hours on WDS diagram and looks like (as you said) wiring harness is same for all the E60 (LCI, non-LCI doesn't matter here) with the seat module. I have not checked heating wiring yet but will do soon. I do have seat module (quite small in size with just 3 connectors), so I think harness is already laid out. The only signal
input which goes to seat module from car is the can bus from the LMA, not sure why light module is involved here but this is how it is. In this case it should be plug and play (with some coding done and VO added to the FA).

Regarding mirrors they are exactly the same size and design as mine (different colour and no shiny bits), they just fold in the same fashion (not upwards) so I think it saves quite a bit of space on the both side, anything close will hit doors anyway. Reason I am interested in
mirrors is because first it is coming quite cheap and secondly it doesn't look right to have fully electric seat and manual folding mirror.

I can get whole lot for perhaps £500 (rear seats, door cards and mirror) I seriously doubt I can return it, even if breaker agrees to it I won't believe if he will honour it. Its kind of risk for half a grand which may be fruitful or totally useless. Confused what to do next...
sometimes this looks like opportunity, next moment it sounds total waste of money. Worth bothering?

Edited by afsar
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 23:28
I need to decide this tomorrow, can someone kindly help me
decide this.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 08:09

Originally posted by afsar afsar wrote:

I need to decide this tomorrow, can someone kindly help me decide this.

If it were me and my money, then I'd be spending it on something else.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 09:26
Good suggestion, clears up the doubt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic