Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWinter tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter tyres
    Posted: 03-September-2011 at 23:28
Thinking of getting these for the 120. Did anyone buy them last winter that could let me know what they were like? Coming in at a good price at the moment so want to get them ordered this weekend. Cheers Big smile

Edited by Issy - 27-October-2011 at 20:23

Sponsored Links

stutay View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stutay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 19:57

Hi Issy

didnt by those ones but did get a set of Nankang SV-2s with steel wheels for the wifes car .. got some decent write ups on other forums, but proof will be in the pudding I guess

last year I ran the 520d on Dunlop SP Winter Sport and though they were top notch,,,took me up hills and down roads I would never have tried before ,  but in the end I'd say just about any winter tyre would be better than the regular summer ones!
E82 118d Sport Coupe -SOLD
E60 520d M-Sport - SOLD
E90 318i SE - SOLD
E85 Z4 2.0i Sport Roadster - SOLD
E60 520d - SOLD
E46 320d LHD while I lived in Germany - SOLD
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 22:21
shut up  about winter tyres.... it was summer today!!

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 22:52
Yeah maybe but got to get prepared for the big freeze!!!!

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 23:13
Issy what size are yours?
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
stutay View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stutay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 23:22
thats a bit personal... should have sent a PM for that kinda question Pete Shocked
E60 520d M-Sport - SOLD
E90 318i SE - SOLD
E60 520d - SOLD
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 23:31
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

Issy what size are yours?

205 55 r16 I think!

Edited by Issy - 05-September-2011 at 21:08

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 08:13
Just don't go beyond the car's capability and your capability as a driver and you shouldn't have issues with 'normal' tyres in winter.

Keep the heid and a light right foot.

I just heeded the above last winter and only got stuck once, 20 feet from the front door after the car had sat for 1.5 hours on fresh snow in falling temperatures while I cleared my driveway.  Two shovels of snow removed from each rear tyre and I was in my driveway.

If I managed in a big silly automatic, you'll manage in your car on 'normal' tyres.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
stutay View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stutay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 21:00
sorry Andrew, but for those of use who live out in the sticks "normal" tyres dont work but the neither do the council workers ..but then thats the same all over when it comes to clearing the roads in winterCry
E60 520d M-Sport - SOLD
E90 318i SE - SOLD
E60 520d - SOLD
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2011 at 21:14
I agree Stu! There is no way I would have even have attempted to drive to work on normal tyres last year and if its going to be the same again this year I am prepared to give the winter tyres a go!!

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2011 at 10:25
Winter Tyres for the Win for sure. 

Living in the Sticks ourselves now, our Diesel Golf was getting stuck flat out, threw on Goodyear Winter tyres and iirc, she didn't get stuck again. They'll be going back on in November time, well depending on the weather. 

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
tower View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2011 at 21:23
Vredenstein snowtac 3 for me,but Hankook Icebears get a good right up too
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2011 at 07:05
I'll be using Continental tyres on 15" steel rims. They will be fitted to my Transit and the BMW will once again be a snow sculpture.
stutay View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stutay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2011 at 19:59

The wifes winter wheels/tyres arrived at the office last week while I was in Hungary, caused quite a stir in the office. Couple of the guys with Merc's are buying wheels/tyres for their E and C-Class cars too

Should be no probs this year again for me in either car Thumbs Up
E60 520d M-Sport - SOLD
E90 318i SE - SOLD
E60 520d - SOLD
Shamus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2011 at 11:19
Wussnae good with 275's on the back my drive was like the Eiger Dead
Took all sort of runnies at it to no avail.
I would need helium in my right shoe not to spin.
Good fun though. My neighbour has a 320d and is looking at winter tyres so any recomendations would be great.

Gone but not forgotten..
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2011 at 14:07
Picked up these today from BMW. They get good reviews for the 1 series and looks like I got them at a good price as well. £390 fitted for 4! so we will see how they perform over the winter! Thumbs Up

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2011 at 20:22
Update....... Got the winter tyres onto the wee car on Tuesday and so far so good. Dont think the ride is as crashy as it is on the runflats. Feels good! So bring on the snow im READY!!!! Hug

tower View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2011 at 23:51
Not still a bit warm for the winter tyres ?,am waiting til temperature drops a bit,also as they`re non run flats,got the spare tyre/tyre weld sorted out,and notified your insurance.
..not making a good case for winters here am i..
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2011 at 00:16
Mine are going on next week, just incase the white stuff appears again for the AGM
528 for now
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2011 at 19:20
Originally posted by tower tower wrote:

Not still a bit warm for the winter tyres ?,am waiting til temperature drops a bit,also as they`re non run flats,got the spare tyre/tyre weld sorted out,and notified your insurance.
..not making a good case for winters here am i..

It was cold enough last week and the decision had to be made in order to get them fitted onto the wheels!
As for spare and insurance got that all sorted so all good!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic