Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW 730 LD 2005

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jik_1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW 730 LD 2005
    Posted: 21-December-2011 at 14:18
My car is parked at home where after every three to four days my son start that for few minutes.
yesterday he tried to start that but following were happened:
1- Car get started but failed to go in R
2- To shift in N and D was Ok but to shift to R and P was not made possible.
3- when switch was turned off then cannot be started because gear position is still on N.
3- They have checked with new battery and screen speaks as below:

a)- PDC FAILURE
b)- Gear box in position N
c)- Driver restraint system fault.
d)- Transmission position P failure

above things are shown in the meter.Any one can advice me why this happens.Why car cannot be shifted in P that is why cannot start.
I shall be obliged for your technical advice.

JAVEED IQBAL
jik_1959@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2011 at 17:10

Sounds like a failure related to low electrical power being available.  It should start in either P or N, provided the hand/park brake is applied and the brake foot pedal is depressed.

Starting the car for a few minutes every 3 to 4 days will have done more harm than good, it would need to be driven to fully charge the battery back up.  A modern car should be good to leave alone for 2 to 3 weeks without starting then it should be taken for a drive.

What battery did they re-conenct to the car?  It must be atleast of the same Amphour capacity as the one in at the moment.  These cars carry a large size of batteries like 110 Amphour capacity.  The car may recognise that full electrical power is not available and then shut down non essential electrical components in the car (PDC etc) to allow others to work.

When my first E60 suffered electrical problems due to an excessive electrical drain, I was faced with an automatic gearbox fault as there was insufficient electical power to operate the autobox.  Once electrical power was restored to the correct levels the fault went away.

Get a new battery of the same size as specified from new and then connect up and let the ignition system start up before trying to start the engine.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Sounds like a failure related to low electrical power being available.  It should start in either P or N, provided the hand/park brake is applied and the brake foot pedal is depressed.

Starting the car for a few minutes every 3 to 4 days will have done more harm than good, it would need to be driven to fully charge the battery back up.  A modern car should be good to leave alone for 2 to 3 weeks without starting then it should be taken for a drive.

What battery did they re-conenct to the car?  It must be atleast of the same Amphour capacity as the one in at the moment.  These cars carry a large size of batteries like 110 Amphour capacity.  The car may recognise that full electrical power is not available and then shut down non essential electrical components in the car (PDC etc) to allow others to work.

When my first E60 suffered electrical problems due to an excessive electrical drain, I was faced with an automatic gearbox fault as there was insufficient electical power to operate the autobox.  Once electrical power was restored to the correct levels the fault went away.

Get a new battery of the same size as specified from new and then connect up and let the ignition system start up before trying to start the engine.

^^^^

This.

Take the battery out and put in a proper bench charge and hope it does not need replacing, tell you son to leave it alone.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic