Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE23 Electrics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E23 Electrics
    Posted: 16-January-2012 at 09:44
My E23 has a few electrical gremlins
The L/H rear window winds down but not up.  The door electrics and switch are OK.
Direct hook up to battery works both ways, electrics isolated with under steering wheel.

A few days ago the electric sun roof also stopped working, half way open, used plug spanner to close it.
Fuse 19 is OK, swopped green relay. It appears there is no electrics at sun roof switch.
I there a control unit for window/sun roof electrics? 

Any idears?
Sponsored Links

mag7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mag7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2012 at 18:50
a long shot, but I had an e32 some years back with similar probs. turned out to be the unloader relay. This cuts power to some items when the starter motor spins in order to put all power into starting. The relay is known to turn faulty and play up the things like sun roofs and windows.
330 ci next on the agenda
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2012 at 11:04
Thanks
E23ers or ex E23ers appear to be thin on the ground. Its just a hobby car.
BMW are trying to combat the idiot factor. Who would try to start a car and open the sunroof at same time!!!!
Is the unloader the green relay 19 in the fuse box or one of the black boxes behind the R/H foot well speaker? If so whitch one?
Thanks again, this is a frustating car but nice old tank to drive and suprisingley economical when compaired with the E3
mag7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mag7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2012 at 19:35
As mine was the e32 it may be slightly different but principle the same. my problem relay was pale green and inside a black box under the bonnet on the nearside. the relay can be dismantled and soldered, but I got a new one and all was well. as I remember (it was my first BM),  the sunroof, windows. heater etc all played up.
330 ci next on the agenda
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2012 at 14:20
Sun roof saga
Have got new sun roof relay, roof still not working, have I waisted £35?
Have to power to electric motor but only 9 volts, with ignition turned on, engine not running.
Battery almost 14 volts at rerminals.  Cleaned earth  near roof motor and is ok.
Any idears ?? help

Do not wind the sun roof with plug spanner as I did, it stripped the theads on the brass clutch nut.
It has a very fine thread, special?. I got a complete motor on Ebay for £10 onc post.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 09:39
See if this helps you out with your electrical gremlins

Trouble shooting manual

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 11:23
Thanks. will give it ago, I think it is bad earth.
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 12:37
Indian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2012 at 12:59
Up date on my E23 electrical gremlins
Have fitted new S/H OBC brains (BMW call it a rely) under the steering coluum, now all systems work.
The sun roof now works after a few attempts, clutch slips a bit.
New problem started , flat battery after standing for a week or so. Fitted new battery still the same problem. Some time ago I fitted a cheap after market relay, K7 on fuse box, it made a clicking noise when reconnecting the battery. I replaced the after market relay with orignal BMW/OEM one and guess what, no more flat battery, L/H rear window now works!!!
Any body else had problems with cheap after market relays?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic