Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat to look out for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to look out for?
    Posted: 23-February-2012 at 22:09

Hi all you BMW experts...

I tend just to look around these forums, more on the ZRoadster forum as I have a nice little 2.8 for sunny days...not that we get many up in the highlands...LOL

Anyhow...I will be changing job and the company car will go...so I am looking at getting a daily runner but not so expensive at the moment and found a 330 D SE which looks just the part...

With no real experience on these, what should I be looking out for? I have still to arrange a viewing but the script says fresh MOT and full service history, it is a 2000 with 108k on the clock, should the high miles be a concern? Also 6 owners!!

Any advice for a fellow BMWCC member appreciated...

Really must get to one of the meetings to say hello sometime...Embarrassed

Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 08:24
Like all BMWs, check for play in the suspension bushes.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 08:29
I read this post with interest as I have a position at work which may mean either staying in digs (sod that) or driving everyday and was thinking about buying a much older BMW to drive 150 miles a day and leave my nice E60 parked up at home.

With that type of car, I would say watch out for swirl flap failure, turbo failure and fuel pump failure all of which were common faults on the E46 diesels and at that age of car will write it off if they break as they can lead to engine failure. 

You could argue that at that age and mileage these faults would have manifested themselves by now.  Also with the number of diesel engines that BMW make the percentage of failures will be very low, it's just that when they do fail, it is catastrophic.

If it is an auto it will have swirl flaps at that age, if it is a manual then it won't, just.  If it is an auto ask if there is any history to prove it has had blanks fitted in place of the swirl flaps.

Check that it has had more than the manufacturer's recommended oil changes to prolong turbo bearing life.  Bearing failure is the cause of turbo failure, they get hot from oil starvation and wear causing the baldes to meet the casing which break and then go into the engine, hence the reason for frequent oil changes.

6 owners in 12 years, that 's a change every two years or has one person owned it for the majority of the time and then it has been shunted around for some reason (could this be a reason to be worried about?) or another.

If you want a cheap BMW run around unless it is only hundreds of pounds to buy, I would stay well clear of an old diesel.  I think they are just too much of a liability, which will make your eyes water and your wallet bleed when they go wrong.

But then that's just me as a diehard petrolhead.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 09:39

Thanks Guys, you make this venture of mine seem very scary…

I am not much of an Oil Burner fan myself but the idea was to get something with reasonable economy (MPG) but still have enough comfort and power for occasional long haul with the family on-board.

This car I have in mind at the moment is a manual so I guess the swirl flap issue doesn’t exist? I will check the ownership like you say; if it’s had multiple owners in a recent short period of time then yes I guess something to be running from and also the service history for frequent oil changes…

Already I feel uncomfortable but worth a look and drive to see what like…it’s only just over an hour from home so a run out in the Zed will make the trip worthwhile…

As for Diesel…well maybe I will have a look around for a good petrol 3 series, on my mind are things like MPG for daily use  which will be short journeys and road tax, pre-2001 cars seem to have a lower price than getting caught up with CO2 figures when looking at larger engine cars…

BillyP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 18:14
I have had a few e46 models, but for what you want i would look at a 325, always had great mpg and pulling power, would make a great daily driver for you
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 18:44
Would agree with above.... Even a 320i will still have a luvelry 6 pot petrol engine and return (relatively) decent mpg and be comfortable enough for long drives.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 18:54

You’ve convinced me, don’t think I’ll bother with a look at the Oil burner now; no hurry at the moment so will keep a look out for something over the next couple of months. I will just enjoy the Zed for now as the weather is improving.

I must try and meet up with you guys at a monthly meet and I can take a look at some of your cars for ideas…

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful…Thumbs Up

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 18:57
Going from a 2.8 Z to and oil burner would be like night and day.....
There is quite a BMW crowd around the Aberdeen area so there will be plenty of other nutters to meet up locally for you.

If you are after economy buy a diesel FiestaLOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic