Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBit help if possible guys..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bit help if possible guys..
    Posted: 25-February-2012 at 23:37
Just after a little help chaps if I can get it....Im a relativley new owner to a 99 728i and although the car itself is great it does have some little issues that need sortiung out...after 2 weeks of ownership ive found a few faults,so wonder if anyone can help?

Opening the 2 front doors theres a loud clunking noise..upon checking them it appears that the main hinges are fine but the central runners on both doors have had their pins removed and normal household bolts and nuts put in their place,so once the doors are opening and closing etc the central slider jumps against the bolt causing a horrible noise...Im just hoping I need both driver and passenger door pins replacing?? if so can you let me know where i can get a couple? and is the job relativley straight forward to do? Has anyone here got a set I can buy from them maybe?

The main unit tv radio cd tape deck etc does work...then for no apparent reason the volume just stops?? the main unit is fine and all menues and selections can be made but just no sound...on occasion it just comes on by itself,and other times im bopping to a few tunes and it just goes off???...have a feeling this may be an expensive gremlin to fix??

Speedo works intermitentley...some days good others it just doesnt want to play???

Other than that chaps its a canny motor...2 owners from new,full history,full cream leather etc and totally standard...my first 7 series...Ive always wanted one after having a few 3 and 5 series,and as my family expanded, I always knew id get one,but really wanted a higher spec version,i.e m-parralell wheels ,black leather in the right colour etc..but I couldnt find a good example locally so saw this one as a stepping stone, so to speak-im hoping to use this for a little while sort out the little odds and ends and then part ex it against the 7 of my dreams....so hope you guys may be able to help me out with some help and advice...

thanks in advance fellas

steve

Edited by Steve36 - 25-February-2012 at 23:41
Sponsored Links

Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2012 at 22:27
Pins can be bought at your local BMW dealer - dunno what the cost will be.
Electrical problems sound like a bad earth or a poor connection. Check the cables where they go through the main bulkhead via a plug and socket. Often the earth cable between the engine and the chassis can cause problems if it works loose. Bad earthing  can cause lots of problems.

If the electric steering wheel adjuster stops working, you will usually find that the driver's seat also does not work. Thats caused by the seat plug that connects to the switches has come loose. many faults can be solved by undoing plug and socket connections and cleaning them with a good electrical cleaning fluid - not WD 40 - that's good for lubricating as a light oil, but not for electrical connections.

Other than spending money at an auto electricians, that is all I can suggest.
I am on my third E38 since 2000, with over 200K miles driven. Only major problem I have had is that the standard front springs keep breaking. I fitted Alpina springs and suspension and had no further problems. The latest one is a sport, fitted with MPower springs. I have had no reports of troubles with these springs. Brakes last 40K between pads and 80K or more  between disks. Handbrake release pulls last about 30K miles and can be a sod if they break with the brakes on, so keep a pair of long nosed pliers so that you can pull the wire to release the handbrake. If you are over 13 stone in weight, the odds are that the plastic seat side will break - I always have the heaviest cart at the go cart track, so my seat sides need replacement every two years or so. They come in pairs for some reason, so I have a passenger seat one spare in grey.
Apart from that the fuel cost can be excessive. If you are going to do 20K miles a year in the car for a few years, convert it to LPG. It will run better than it will on petrol, but use about 8% more. Overall saving about 40%, which is a lot!

Have fun.Tongue
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Steve36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2012 at 00:07
Howard-many thanks for the reply, I've decided to just run this 7 until it stops and then use it for spares etc, as I've already got my eye on another but this time it's a 740 I, it has relatively low miles for its age 87 k, but wonder about the miles as I'm considering a lpg conversion. Would the current miles affect the cars ability to have LPG fitted? And is there any thing specific I should do to the car/ engine to prep for LPG ??

Thanks again
Steve
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2012 at 10:50
The last one I had converted was at 78k miles and it is still running a treat. My new one is being converted next week and that has done 57K miles.
I would suggest no problem. If the normal system works, the latest gas systems now pick up their signals from the petrol injectors. I have never had much problem with the gas - just one injector failed in 200K miles - lots of problems with sensors on the BMW side, but nothing insolvable.
Howard
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic