Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFuel consumption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel consumption
    Posted: 19-March-2012 at 16:45

Just doing some further research regarding me picking up a replacement for the company car which will disappear with the job change. It appears there are a few reasonably priced low mileage 5 Series out there and will be looking at a couple tomorrow namely 520's but come across a 530 also which I did not consider to start with. Those that I am looking at are E39’s 2002/03…

Can anyone comment on the difference in fuel use between the 520 and 530 as the running cost for insurance and tax is not that different so it could be something else to consider in my search.

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2012 at 08:34

I'm assuming petrol as there was fortunately no E39 inflicted with the 4 pot oil burning engine in this country.

The E39 520i was actually a 2.2 and chuffed out about 170 ish brake which in an E39 will be adequate for performance.  I had a 523i E39 and it was 170 bhp and returned on average less than 30mpg, anywhere between 28.2 and 30.something so a 520i will be an improvement on that.  It was nice to drive and had enough (just) power, I was coming from a 200+ bhp Vauxhall.

The E39 530i will be a peach, well over 200 bhp but on paper it will return nearer 25mpg on average.  I was looking for a late E39 530i but could not find a clean one at the time and I noticed that the E60 545i was coming into my price bracket and on paper it has the same mpg as the E39 530i so it was a no brainer and went for the V8 if it had on paper the same mpg as the 530i.  I return on average 28.5mpg with my relatively easy drive so a 530i would be similar I would think.

Both the 520i and 530i use the M54 6 pot engine which is fine, just keep an eye on the oil level as they drink a bit.  Also if on test drive the temp needle does anything other than rise to the mid point and stays, don't touch it.  An overheated engine is only good for making into baked bean cans.

Other E39 foilbles, suspension joints and ABS wheel sensors can be problematic but nothing really major.

The E39 is one of the best looking cars IMO.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2012 at 22:34

Thanks Andrew, just managed to see this before my first viewing...

Didn't manage a look at the 530 but did see and drive 2x 520's, yes all petrol, you sensibly put me off oil burners when I asked about a 330d...

Both were very similar spec, no leather, both 2003 cars with around 58k miles and seemed to drive quite well, much more relaxing than the all-day drive in the Z3...

What I did notice was a small amount of light brown gunge around the oil filler cap, not a great amount and was similar on both. Is this related to poor servicing or water in the oil? They did have a service history of sorts, not complete.

One had aircon and a cassette player which would be quite useless these days, the other no aircon but a CD player, neither had the 6 CD stacker in the boot.

The temp appeared ok but only managed a short drive of about 4 or 5 miles.

Going to try and see the 530 at some point but one of these did appeal as it seemed a little more cared for than the other but that was the one with the cassette drive so would have to find the 6 CD stacker if I wanted to listen to music...

Cheers again.
Steve

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2012 at 08:30
Be wary of any E39 that doesn't have air con.

Air con was an option on the very basic model (not SE) of the 520i, if someone who bought a brand new BMW and didn't spec air con means (IMO) that they will not have spent money on looking after it.  I take it it wasn't even an SE model? Small engined cloth, manual models with no toys means it was bought by a penny pincher who I doubt will have spent money looking after it.  You have 1 Series BMWs for that type of person to buy now.

CD changers can be retro fitted in the boot, don't let that put you off if it is the right car.  My E39 had a tape deck, the previous owner or the dodgy dealer I bought it from whisked it out before I viewed the car, but mine had leather, auto and a aircon so I was happy.  I just listened to the radio and the sound of the engine.

My E39 always had a thin light layer of brown deposists on the underside of the oil filler cap.  As long as it isn't white it should be o.k.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2012 at 18:34

Managed to look at the 530i today, full leather (Cream) manual with aircon plus the CD changer, last owner (Lady) for past 6 years, 3 owners in total. 61,000 miles with service history. Very clean inside but usual scuffs and scrapes for a 10 year old car outside. It has had a rear bump on the driver side which has moved the bumper slightly. All toys appear to work and no apparent overtemp, bit of rust bubbling around the boot key hole.

Comes with new MOT, 6 months warranty (for what they are worth) and health check (not a service)...

All for £3600...does that sound like a reasonable price to pay? I am more tempted with this one...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2012 at 19:14
You get what you pay for.  Sounds o.k. lady owner, always a selling point, how genuine it is, you will never know.

Any MOT paperwork to back up the mileage, you've mentioned service history, I take it that it ties in with the mileage?  MOTs are all electronic so it's dead easy to verify the mileage over the years as you can check on line with the MOT certificate number.

The rust on the boot lid is common on E39s now, usually they also bubble at a point just above the horizontal bumper shelf where water pools between the bumper and the boot lid.

I don't have a feel for the value though, sounds about right if it comes with a bit a warranty and a long MOT, any road tax thrown in too?

If it were me, I would want an auto at that engine size but a manual will make for swift progress.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2012 at 21:30
I checked my 528i SE auto yesterday, on a round trip between Worcester and Derby, mainly motorway, mainly 70 mph, never above 80 mph (I was checking fuel consumption)

40.3 mpg. 
Best Wishes

Nigel

Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2012 at 21:41
Hi Nigel,

That’s pretty good going, I am not one for a heavy foot and manage around 32 - 34 with my 2.8 Z3 but we don’t have the motorways in the North of Scotland! The 530 I tried the other day would be for longer journeys in a bit of comfort. I think I will be making an offer tomorrow, they are very nice to drive, looking forward to it already...my wife’s fiesta 1.2 only manages around 44 mpg as a run around…

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2012 at 08:21

Old Nigels is right, if you can get them on a steady cruise on the motorway, they can suprise you with the mpg return.  I saw 39.5 mpg on a return journey from Glasgow Airport to Peterhead in my E39, that was including being stuck in Aberdeen traffic in both directions.  Steady cruise at 60-70mph..

Your's is an auto too Nigel so even more impressive figures.

WHO NEEDS A DIESEL!!!!!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2012 at 10:18
Any chance this is the 530i?

If so, then the dealer has been sitting on it for a very long time.  Its at about 12 months since I first spotted it advertized at £4995 and its been sitting at £3995 for quite a few months.  The fact alone that its been sitting for that length of time (lack of use) might suggest that a cautious approach is appropriate, plus a good scratch about it to see why it hasn't moved on in that time.  The asking price might be slightly over the top but not outrageously so - suggesting there could be other things that have turned buyers off.

Don't mean to sound paranoid but if its the same car just suggesting a thorough checkover before committing.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 13:37

Hi, sure is same car. All good information. I have test driven and checked out all seems ok; the car gets a 6 month warranty and has all the HPI checks etc...Comes with a full fresh MOT and Service, also managed to haggle further to allow 6 months road tax...

All the paperwork looks in good order and yes he has had it for some time, it was being used by the proprietor which is evident as the miles is up 4k since he had taken delivery, now sitting at 61k which is not so bad for a 10 year old car.

The car is now mine, will pick it up next week when I drop off the company car...

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 16:45
Sounds like you have the bases covered and the duration with the dealer is explained so well wear with it!
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2012 at 22:46
Originally posted by Zteve Zteve wrote:

Hi Nigel,

That’s pretty good going, I am not one for a heavy foot and manage around 32 - 34 with my 2.8 Z3 but we don’t have the motorways in the North of Scotland! The 530 I tried the other day would be for longer journeys in a bit of comfort. I think I will be making an offer tomorrow, they are very nice to drive, looking forward to it already...my wife’s fiesta 1.2 only manages around 44 mpg as a run around…

As a runaround, I'll see 21 ish

At a constant 56 mph (as constant as you can get), I've seen 44.9

At a constant 70, it'll manage 40

Around 85 to 90, it's about 34.9, dropping in the winter to around 31.

I love your part fo the country, but it doesn't make for economy driving.

Mine has a round trip to Blackpool tomorrow, I've covered almost 60,000 miles in the eighteen months I've owned it, it is far more economical than an E34, but what it saves in fuel, it costs in electrical gremlins.

I've had both the ABS ECU, and the DME fail in the time I've owned it.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 08:16
So what you are saying Nigel is you regularly break the law and still drive above the legal limit in the winter when road conditions are worse....all in the name of getting good mpgBig smile

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 10:19
HaHa...always remember as a kid being told by the old man he had to drive quicker when the fuel was low so he could make it to the next petrol station...LOL

I will let you know how mine does when I have run down a couple of tank fills, pick it up on Friday so let's hope it doesn't carry any of those electronic issues...Shocked

Mind you, we will all be lucky to get any fuel with the panic buying fear of strike action....
Zteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2012 at 16:18
Well, one week in and first tank full burnt...managed a harty 30.5 mpg...it was under test and my first week in a new job with our couple of days of snow...

Not sure when I will get a good run out but smiles so far...

Steve
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 12:13
That's still respectable!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 16:46
Originally posted by Niggles Niggles wrote:

Around 85 to 90, it's about 34.9, dropping in the winter to around 31.
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

So what you are saying Nigel is you regularly break the law and still drive above the legal limit in the winter when road conditions are worse....all in the name of getting good mpgBig smile
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 16:10
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

That was on his bike Andrew! Wacko
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 16:26
Nah he couldn't pedal that fast, he is way too old!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic