Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW turbo blowing engine up myth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW turbo blowing engine up myth
    Posted: 26-April-2012 at 20:29
I am sure you have heared about the story that the turbos on BMW diesels fail and suck the engine oil into the turbo which then revs the engine and you can't swithc it off?

I can tell you, it is TRUE!

Happened to me this morning an the way to work.

All you can do is to stand next to the car and watch it revving till the engine seizes or runs out of engine oil to feed the turbo.

A LOT of smoke!

And then the moron from the AA asks me why I haven't stalled it in 5th gear?

Well my friend, I want to see you sitting in a car with 70mph and accelerating on IT's OWN. I didn't give a s*** about my engine, I just pulled over on the hard shoulder got my phone and my bag out and went!

And yes, I had switched the ignition off but that made bugger all difference.

Rest in peace 320D

any 320d or 520d for sale?????

BTW does anybody know how I can get 50 liters of Diesel out of the tank easily? Don't want to double the value of the car leaving it in for the buyer

Edited by UweM3 - 26-April-2012 at 20:32
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2012 at 21:46
bummer, still glad you're ok!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2012 at 08:29
Any idea what caused it? 

I've witnessed one on the hard shoulder and there are plenty examples of them on youtube for any doubters.  Plenty smoke.

Disconnect one of the fuel lines from the tank to drain it?
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 09:08
I am too busy with work to do anything to the car.

Have to leave the Diesel in and the brand new tow bar fitted :-(

Looking at a 520d on a 56 plate tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

yesterday I was home early and couldn't resist. and guess what, it started!

Took a few attempts and a lot of smoke the first few times, but then it fired up with not too much cranking.

but only runs when I disconnect the intake air pipe from the EGR. As soon I put it back on, the engine dies. It also only idles, doesn't respond to an throttle inputs.

Edited by UweM3 - 01-May-2012 at 09:11
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 16:34
Sorry to hear of your woes. This happened to me with my Transit. Luckily as soon as it started, I knew what was happening and stalled the engine immediately. I got it towed home, replaced the turbo, removed and cleaned the oil cooler and re filled the van with oil. (you should have seen the bits of metal (turbo) that came out of the sump oil). Tentatively turned the key and it started 1st time and is still running great over a year later (touch wood).

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, hopefully this info will help someone in the future.

As soon as it happens....................key off, high gear, foot on the brake, bang the clutch out. All at the same time.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 19:28
I was going with 60mph-70mph on the motorway in rush hour. Didn't fancy any stunts at 7:30 am.

It revved up in a split second, there wasn't much time to stall anything.
My main concern was to reach the hard shoulder from the fast lane.

Edited by UweM3 - 01-May-2012 at 19:29
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 08:39
Sounds like you did the right thing, look out for you and others first, engine life comes futher down the list.  If you are lucky to have caught on to what was happening quick enough you could try and save the engine if you can without harming yourself or other road users.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 17:24
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Sounds like you did the right thing, look out for you and others first, engine life comes futher down the list.  If you are lucky to have caught on to what was happening quick enough you could try and save the engine if you can without harming yourself or other road users.

In the end of the day, it's just money. Not that I have enough and as usual it always happens at the wrong time.

that is the second BMW engine in our household which blew up in the last 3 month.

It's really my own fault, I did get all the warning signs and ignored them.
-- Quite a smoke push when starting the car
-- bit of shaky idle for a few seconds till the oil cleared from the intake
-- waste gate rattle (but that has rattled for the last 20k miles!!)

I knew the turbo was on it's way south, but would you spend £1000 "just in case" on a car worth only 3k?

plan was to run the 320d for another year, save bit more up and get an E61. Well, I am getting an E61 tomorrow.....

But this time I am considering taking a warrantee out. It just gets too expensive with these modern cars when they go pop.

No more £500 replacment engines these days. And all the gubbins around the engine need more or less replacing as well if you want to be sure your replacement engine isn't going to run like a pig.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 08:37
I was having that very conversation with a friend yesterday, these modern engine when they go bang, write the car off.   You don't scrap a car because the cills have rusted through these days, you write a car off because the timing belt snapped or it needs a new expensive electronic component or in your case the turbo went bang.  Quite sad really.

What happened to the first BMW engine that blew up 3 months ago?

What's the E61 you are getting?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 10:28
the other engine which went bang was my wifes 318ti.

When it went, I told my wife to get rid of the nun runner and move on.
but she loves the car and wanted to keep it.
because it was only a head gasket failure, we went ahead. As soon the engine was opened up, the hell opened....
The cams had worn into the head and it was looking like a chimney inside.
So safe to say it had very rarely seen an oil service.

Used engine had to be sourced (which I wanted to do in the first place).
Turns out the 4 cylinder valve tronic is a sought after engine, £1000 for a used lump. And it's just the lump! They strip EVERYTHING off, even the oil filter housing.

Cut a long story short, £2700 later we had a running car with a 70k miles engine. Considering that the car is only worth 3K, it make my blood boil to say the least.

It is like you said, they don't rust anymore. Engine and electronics send them to the scrapyard.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 11:18

Your wife must be a diehard bimmer fan then, mine would have told me to scrap it!

So did you not give it oil services then or are you blaming a previous owner for lack of oil services or the way your wife drives the car?LOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 13:12
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Your wife must be a diehard bimmer fan then, mine would have told me to scrap it!

So did you not give it oil services then or are you blaming a previous owner for lack of oil services or the way your wife drives the car?LOL

we didn't even get a chance to carry an oil service out! Happened 3 month after we bought it. My wife doesn't drive a lot, so service is maybe once a year.

It all started when her other compact was written off when a wheel from a caravan hit her on the M25 and she wanted EXCATLY the same car.
And there was only ONE for sale in the whole UK like it.
It was/is a very clean car with good paintwork, spotless leather interior, widescreen sat nav and and and.

Well, the rest is history

BTW I bought an E61 520d estate auto with 79k miles and FULL service history. Fingers scrossed. Drives bloody nice that E61!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 13:28
Ouch, hope the wife was o.k. in that accident.  Mibbie it was worth doing then, keeping the wife happy will be worth a couple of grand surely?Wink

The E60/1 is a stonker, drives better than the E39, but the E39 had a few little features that were deleted from the E60/1 range that made life just that little bit easier.  e.g. remote boot release button in the cabin hasn't made it's way onto the E60 nor has the curry hook in the boot compartment.  I'm quite happy with my E60.  A good few of the E39 quirks have gone, like the wheel sensors, they work on the E60 and I'm not having to swap out rear anti roll bar links like on the E39. (touching wood quickly) Runflats, hmm well I've no issues with them and I'm still running them on my beast.  I've only had to swap out track rod ends after 63,000 miles but I have 8" wide rims on the front which will strain them a bit more than the standard 7.5" rims, everything else has just been routine service parts, oil, filters, sparkers, brake fluid etc etc.

Glad its an auto as the only acceptable way to have a 520d is with an autobox, otherwise you'll end up with a huge left arm constantly changing thru the 6 gears trying to keep the engine in its useful narrow power range for the weight of the car.  Unless of course all you do is M'way driving then a manual would be o.k.

Good luck with it.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 19:13
fully agree with all you said!

but I have a boot release button if I am not mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic