Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew/old car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New/old car
    Posted: 08-May-2012 at 23:34
Not been on in a while but just to update on my 540 situation breifly. As you may know I was given the bad news of some major repairs needed on my 540 which didn't warrant any major financial commitment (having not long had my 5th child lol!) so the painful decision was made to get rid but only to someone I'd be sure will restore her rather than butcher or scrap.

As luck would have it on one of the other forums I frequent I had an offer I couldn't refuse.
A swap for a 520 a year newer, with 40k less miles, a years more MOT and 6 months more tax than mine had. It really hurt bad seeing her on that low loader being taken away and now when I drive my 520 I put my foot down and practically nothing happens, to the point where I have had some near misses not realising how under powered a 520 is compared to a 540.
My wife even said she could tell I was a bit depressed for a few days (even she understands the relationship between a man and his wheels!)

After owning the new one for 3 weeks I had to pay out nearly £300 for a full set of new fuel lines ( the initial thing that failed on my 540 causing her to go under the microscope) but now that's out of the way and the rest of the car really is very good for the year, A2 condition with just a couple of minor scratches and a piece of trim a little loose, I can count myself lucky I suppose.
At least in this day and age I now have a car that uses far less fuel but I now feel like an old, unexcited driver Ouch so rest assured, maybe not just round the corner but not before too long, I will have another 'beast' to excite me!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2012 at 08:16
Good to hear that you are back in a Beamer.....but wouldn't it have been cheaper to fix the 540 and stop at mibbie two kids?LOL
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 23:18
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Tongue

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic