Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIntermittent lack of power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent lack of power
    Posted: 07-September-2012 at 21:19
Hi , was wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem, i have a 2002 530D se..i blew the turbo, bought a recon one and replaced it, also replaced the copper washers in the banjo coupling oil pipes, but every now and then, when i put the foot down, the car acts like a normally aspirated 1.6 skoda......just no power at all, until i lift my foot off the pedal and put it back down, then the turbo whistles and she goes like a rocket.....its very annoying when looking for a spurt of power and nothing happens......any ideas  ?????????
ANY help would be great.

Edited by jimbo/e36 - 07-September-2012 at 21:19

E53 X5, 2003 318i SE, Suzuki GSXR
www.jgrecovery.com
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2012 at 19:47
Inlet manifold and EGR system resembling a coal mine.  i.e. full or carbon.  There is a thread on here about that. I'll try and find it.

Take it out and give it a good clean with carb cleaner.

Change the oil and oil filer and air filter as an easy start.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
jim-beamer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2012 at 17:48
excellent, thanks andrew, much appreciated

www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2012 at 18:43
Cheers, that's what this forum is all about.

Is it an auto per chance? I test drove two E39 530d Autos and they both did have a bit of a delay before giving it the beans. Once on the beans they were quite impressive but I didn't like the delay between placing right foot to the carpet before it began to launch itself so I stuck with the E39.

Edited by Andrew Rolland - 09-September-2012 at 18:44

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2012 at 18:57
Originally posted by jimbo/e36 jimbo/e36 wrote:

then the turbo whistles and she goes like a rocket

For whistling turbos you want one of these!

The BR Class 40 was nicknamed "Whistlers" on the account of their distinctive turbo charger noise.

That's an English Electric V16 (two V8s bolted together) with 4 turbo chargers on full chat.  Never mind 3 poxy litres of Bavarian diesel power!  That thing has 2,000 bhp!

LOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 15:30
haha, if i had a turbo like that, i would'nt worry about losing some power...lol, thanks for the link andrew, and yes its an auto steptronic box, but its not just a little lag, i can keep my foot down for almost a minute, and it just gradually speeds up, unless i put my foot off the power, and back on again, thats when i get the whistle, and a puff of white-ish grey smoke from the tail....Confused

www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 18:10
If the delay is as long as a minute, what's the autobox doing?  It should have changed down once if not twice depending on road speed and throttle position etc.  Try repeating but in manual mode.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 18:55
hi Andrew, had a look at the link, hopefully gonna give cleaning a try this week.
The lack of power also happens when in a low gear ( even 1st when pulling away ), and it also does the same in manual, it just acts like a big car with a small normally aspirated engine, and not like a 3ltr turbo, but then , bam, it whistles and winds up like a rocket.....it doesnt happen all the time, but i'd say 20% of the time.
PS, appreciate the help mate

www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 19:42
Good, sounds like it isn't the autobox at fault.

Hmmmm only things I can think of......

Engine managment issues?  Would need a diagnostic plug in though.
In need of a service?
Clean out bits as suggested earlier?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2012 at 21:34
yeh i'm gonna get it up this week for a wee stint on the diagnostics, i have already serviced her, oils, brakes, fluids, and filters...and will do some cleaning this week, so, here's hoping, but will post my results as i get through them....cheers for the input   Thumbs Up

www.jgrecovery.com
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2012 at 16:38
LATEST......

Well, after checking loads of different things, i noticed a small oil drip from the plastic undershield, stripped it off to reveal more oil than i expected, so, up on the ramps she went, stripped off all the engine plastics, and hoses for the turbo inlet, ( just for access )...got underneath the beast with a torch, and spent 1 hr looking over everything i could, for the source of the oil leak, i eventually found a drip on the oil-sump-feed pipe, which exits the bottom of the turbo..hoping that it was this cos its easy to get to, and that it wasnt something else dripping onto it...turned out, i managed to get a full half turn on the bolt holding the feed pipe into the turbo,, put everything back together, took the beast for a blast, after blowing out some heavy smoke from the exhaust, she performed like a new car, AND.......HEY PRESTO....NO lack of power, and NO more oil leak......YAYYYYYYYYY, what a clever boy i am....Smile Smile Clap Clap

www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2012 at 08:20
Good stuff. 

Suprising how easy a fix can be sometimes.  It's finding the problem that takes the time.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2012 at 19:59
yip, very true...and thanks again for the input ...much appreciated andrew...Clap

www.jgrecovery.com
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2012 at 19:12
hi , after the engine replacement ive found out that i also had a faulty MAF, which contributed to the lack of power problem.......but thankfully all sorted now

www.jgrecovery.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 08:39
How did you identify the faulty MAF?

Diagnostic check?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim-beamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2012 at 17:36
the garage that changed the engine run a diagnostic, and the MAF was showing faulty, fortunately it was the only fault that come up, and garry had the same sort of prob as me, and the same garage changed his MAF, and hey presto, problem gone, so, once my wallet has recovered from the severe thrashing its been gettin over the past 3 weeks, then i'll get a new MAF, ( but fit it myself lol )......

www.jgrecovery.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic