Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede60: DIY service or Indie?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e60: DIY service or Indie?
    Posted: 24-December-2012 at 10:59
Hi guys,

My e60 is due for a service in 4000miles according to idrive.  I'll be looking to get it done in January instead.

My question is, given its now 5 years old, will DIY servicing affect the future value instead of getting it serviced by an indie? 

I've ruled out BMW dealer as £180 for an oil change is unpallatable.  I'm handy with a spanner and know that if I do it myself it will be done correctly, with care and the correct oil etc.

also, I know of 2 BMW indies near me, HK Autotek in Stevenston and Moorend Garage in Irvine - anyone used them or heard of them?

thanks
E60 525i (3.0i) M-Sport
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2012 at 12:03

Oil change on a petrol 6 pot = piece of cake.

Do it yourself. 

It will be much easier than doing it on my car as your oil filter is on top of the engine block.  Record in the service book that you have done it yourself and reference the invoice number from your oil filter receipt. 

I have gone down the DIY route for my E60 and record in my service book that I did it and record the invoice number from the parts.  Granted I have bought BMW parts for oil service, spark plugs, pollen filters air filters etc.  The parts are not too bad but £99+VAT per hour is a bit steep for my 8.5 year old car IMO when I can do it myself.

If you are worried about DIY servicing affecting your value then make sure you use BMW parts and keep the receipt.  A box full of BMW part receipts to people like me and others on here will mean more than a service book full of stamps that could be made up.

Besides a petrol BMW E60 will have a trade in value of approx £50 at the moment.  All the lentil munchers have convinced the world that oil burners are the cars to drive sadly.

In amongst the wanderings on this previous thread there are indeed good opinions on the effects of DIY servicing.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
garrybhoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garrybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 10:41
I would get it done at some kind of garage so that you at least get a stamp in the service book, I've just done my own 550 at my garage give me a call if you need any help

GT Automotive Ltd 01292 738087

Cheers
Garry
2012 F10 M5
2009 E60 550i A M Sport(Sold)
2012 F30 320i A M Sport XDrive
2003 BMW R1150 Rockster(Sold)
2008 SLK350 Edition 10(Sold)
1990 Astra GTE 16V Resto Project
2003 Berlingo Van
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 06:15
I'm having this same dilema with my M5, its 8 years old, done 63k so when I sell it (no hurry to do that), a dealer will punt it to the auctions so a service history will be meaningless. I would like something to show the care of the car to the next owner who will no doubt be an enthusiast. 

I just dont think I'm prepared to pay main dealer prices for work I can deffinately do myself, I think I've just convinced myself, oot wi the spanners  ! LOL 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 08:30

I'm sure that you would do this Cambell, but with a beast like yours I'd keep all the receipts.  A potential buyer of a machine like that would want to see that it has been looked after but I imagine they will be slightly less fussy about seeing a book full of BMW stamps.  Keep the photos that you do of the work as proof too.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 07:15
I have always had a garage do the oily bits on any car I care about, however that is to get the stamp, be it main dealer (very infrequent) or small indie.

On the Vectra I did intermediate oil changes myself at 10K while main dealer stamps were needed every 20K so happy to do the inter's myself. I change all other filters myself but have the dealer / garage stamps in the book for re-assurance if I did sell the car, so to speak.
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 19:21
You would be at an advantage getting the dealer to service your car Del as your car has re-sale value as it is desirable due to it being a Diesel. Plus it is under warranty.

Big engined petrol BMWs are now dinosaurs.  No one wants them and soon to be extinct. My car has a trade in value of next to heee haaw.  Hence why I go diy but with BMW parts for the invoice history. But I'm not looking to sell and enjoy the power and can afford the 26mpg, but that's me.

Search on BMW AUC site, put in postcode and national dealer search, put in price range, select 5 series and you are presented with 200+ cars.

Untick the box next to Diesel and watch 200+ cars change to ooh around 12 cars.  SadCry

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

your car has re-sale value as it is desirable due to it being a Diesel.
Andrew! Go wash your mouth out!!!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2013 at 08:32
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

your car has re-sale value as it is desirable due to it being a Diesel.
Andrew! Go wash your mouth out!!!!

haa haa

I should have clarified that point, not to me it doesn't, but to those in the trade it does and that is what matters when you are trying to shift a second hand car.

70% of all F10 models are 520dsCry becase that is what the market today sadly dictates. 

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic