FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrack days!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
andybeemer74 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybeemer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track days!
    Posted: 05-January-2013 at 23:22
Here are a couple of pics of my car at Oulton Park last Feb JohnWink

Half Jock :-)
Sponsored Links

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybeemer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2013 at 23:13
Originally posted by derek2 derek2 wrote:

Maybe worth doing knockhill with an instructor for approx 125 pound 10 laps driving, 5 laps demo, 10 laps driving. This is done the same time as the driving experences and track is very quiet. This will gibve you the confidence to do a track day if you enjoy it. Suggest if you do a track day do an open pit lane day not one with sessions

Good idea car club track days are all open pit lane which is by far the best format.Smile

derek2 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2013 at 21:10
Maybe worth doing knockhill with an instructor for approx 125 pound 10 laps driving, 5 laps demo, 10 laps driving. This is done the same time as the driving experences and track is very quiet. This will gibve you the confidence to do a track day if you enjoy it. Suggest if you do a track day do an open pit lane day not one with sessions
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybeemer74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2013 at 10:39
I have done a couple of track days now in my road going E36 and had emmense fun and not broken a thing never seen any collisions only the odd spin "me included lol"  As long as you are sensible you can have a good day without trashing your pride and joy.  I usually start off really steady to get used to the track and conditiond and gradually build up my speed throughout the day.  The only track days i have done are bmw car club ones which are exceptionally well run by Nick Wright with cars limited to no more than 60 on the day and with everyone being sensible doing six or seven laps then coming in to let the car and driver cool down for a wee while before going back out, the track is never over crowded.  Other commercial track day operatore have 100+ cars running this is when it gets dangerous.  Nick and his team are constantly monitoring drivers behaveour throughout the day and anyone being stupid or dangerous is asked to leave. 
They also have free instruction from quallified instructers on the day which i have took advantage of every time they, really do improove your track driving no end.
I know the car club doesnt currently run any in scotland the nearest to you lot is Croft in north yorkshire which is a fantastic track and well worth the drive down.
I know my car is not a 10 or 20 grand Mcar but it is still my pride and joy and would be as much a dent in my pocket if i crashed it as some of the other cars on track, i was sh*tting myself on my first track day but once i got over the enittial nerves i was hooked its such a buzz driving your car to the limit on a closed road with no oncoming traffic and more importantly no rossers lol.
Give it a try John you will love it, if you are worried about trashing your pristine M3 you could always have a bash in mine.
Thumbs Up

johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2013 at 08:53
Andrew that is the thing my M3 is not my every day car the brakes on the E36 evo will be ok yes they get very hot but if i was going to do this id make my car well prep, track day pads very good brake fluid, and look into other things too!! its just to have a wee shot round the track as i say no your limits and i was not going to thrash the thing.
As for the Nurburgring i love to go over there to see one of there 24 hour race, track side BBQ, Beer and party LOL

M3 Evo 4 door
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2013 at 08:28
When I first got my E60, my dad kept nagging me to take it to the Nurburgring.  No chuffin' chance.

Even if you survived a lap without any injury and with no panel damage, your brakes would be cooked.  You would need another car to take it back home!LOL  I'd be too scared also.

A track car needs to be a track car and not your everyday drive.  If mine were manual and when it comes to replace it, I've often wondered about making it a track car.  The wife would never let me........Cry
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 23:34
Oh No Not for me either. I would not have the courage as I might break my baby and that would be bad!! Shocked 

Edited by Issy - 03-January-2013 at 23:39

johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 22:04
Cambell i have done track days and its cool as! i know fine well what your on about the thing is i been up the track over week days and its better not going to thrash the thing just more of a play but on a track where i am not going to get dun for speeding? and if its mid week no neds about? Ermm

M3 Evo 4 door
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 21:42
And John, your M3 is waaaaaaay to gorgeous !!
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 21:37
Ye can shuv that right up yer pipe. 

I know My car is faster than 99% of things that will probably attend a track day, its probably 50% prettier. Its easily 60% more talented on a track than its owner and its 100% more precious to me than to risk it doing that !!

Parade lap, yeah, I'm cool with that............track day.........no chance !
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2013 at 21:14
Well this year if i can get my car ready as i still have it and trying to hold on to my car i need to spend some £££ to get it right but love to do a track day just to say i have done it and see what i can do LOL
But my god seeing stuff like this is hard to look at and take in that can happen to you? one M3 is just going on the track and gets it right in the side Cry

M3 Evo 4 door
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic