Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 1 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTemperature Controls: Face v Feet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temperature Controls: Face v Feet
    Posted: 08-January-2013 at 15:14
A really girlie question I'm afraid. I've gone from an elderly 318i SE to a brand new 118d Sport. The one thing that is totally baffling me is how to get cold air on my face and warm air on my feet. It's sounds pretty wimpy but I am doing a lot of long drives this winter, especially late in the evening, so the last thing I need is warm air pumped in my face. The old car had split controls so that the air from the face vents was separate from the rest of the car. The dealer swore blind on the phone that there were still split controls as it is a special feature of BMWs so even he was gobsmacked to see, when he looked inside a car in the showroom, that this isn't the case.  I am bored with reading the manual which shows separate vent controls which aren't on the real thing.  Any ideas?  I end up either getting a splitting headache, freezing to death or spending my whole journey fiddling with the controls.  And opening the windows isn't really a permanent option, before you suggest it!
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 16:02

It could be simply, the car doesn't have that feature.  I'm not familliar with the 1er range but the E60 5 series base model has very different climate controls to every single other model.  After driving a base spec 520d for 9 weeks, I still couldn't get used to the inferior difference in climate controls and performance of its ventilation.

As you say the old models had a dial between the heater vents that went from 3 blue dots (max cold air to face) to 3 red dots (max heat from whatever setting the heater is on)  My E39 had this and it was great.  I have the same thing on the E60 but it is altered via the iDrive and that is the only thing whilst driving that I adjust using the iDrive.  I take it that your 1 Series doesn't have an iDrive?

The E90 has the dial control (as you describe) rather than iDrive so BMW saw sense between the E60 launch and the E90 launch and went back to how it should be.

If it's not what you want and you have bought it very recently new, take it back and get your money back.
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Jules8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 16:44
Aha! I do have an iDrive and even had a special brain transplant so that I can use it at speed, blindfolded or both.  I can see I shall have to investigate the iDrive settings more closely, or as a friend helpfully suggested, "open the fecking window". Many thanks!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 18:26
It should then be in the idrive settings then.....which should be in your manual.......LOL

Poor show if someone from BMW couldn't help, was it a salesman that had a look?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Jules8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2013 at 22:39
Oh dear. Nothing regarding climate controls in the iDrive settings.  It looks as though the Sport version doesn't have anything as luxurious as fresh air. I shall go and beat the salesman over the head with my manual at the weekend. Thanks for trying to help but it looks as though I'm beaten. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 08:18
So you don't have Climate as one of your main menues in your iDrive then?

Extract from my car manual on iDrive instructions.

My last experience of a BMW salesman wasn't a good one, so good luck with that.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Jules8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 14:27
Nope. No climate settings. I shall turn the heating to cold air conditioning and wear a balaklava with just my nose showing.  Thanks for trying to help though.

Now I've just got to try and sell my old 318i ....

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 08:23
Alternatively, sell the 1 Series and keep the 318i.Wink

It has better ventilation and doesn't have an oil burner under the bonnetLOL

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic