Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRadio communications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio communications
    Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:09
I know I've said this before and it got mixed responses.

I think that when we're out and about on a drive, radio comms would be sooooo handy. Remember last year when the convoy leader lead 15 cars through a school carpark, how much better would it have been if he was able to say "stop guys, I've made an erse of this". 

I would suggest that purely for safety reasons, in convoy, only the lead middle and rear cars talk but it would be sooo handy if everyone else could hear whats going on.

Can anybody remember leaving the pub near Penicuik, heading for Newhouse and poor Tommy ended up near Carlisle ? (Despite 2 sat navs) This wouldn't have happened if we were in touch.

Readily available 446MHZ (PMR) walkie talkies would be ideal for this and I recon a few of you will have them lying about. The disadvantage to these radios is that they are very low power, this means that the range is not too fantastic.

As most of you will know, a few of us have Amateur Radio licences and I'm looking into getting some professional grade walkie talkies.  I have found a supplier that can supply these radios in a job lot of 10. The advantages of these radios is that they are far far better quality, 10 times more powerful which increases range and can cover the Amateur Radio frequencies and the 446MHz (PMR) frequencies. 

I will be happy to program the radios to only work on the licence free section on 446MHz so nobody can get in trouble.

I am happy to order these radios and program them. The job lot price works out at £28.42 per radio meaning I will have an initial outlay of £284.20. (Bargain)

Who would like one ? Once I get to 10, I'll make the order.

Edited by Cambell - 17-February-2013 at 21:21
Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:10
1, Cambell
alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:14
We used to have a couple of walkie talkies a number of years ago.
Never knew who they belonged to, perhaps Stevie Gill??
They would indeed be a good buy I think but I don't attend enough meets to justify.

What range are you talking Cambell?
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by alanross alanross wrote:

What range are you talking Cambell?

It would depend on the terrain etc but at the power output claimed, I'd expect up to 2-3 miles in a built up area and 3-5 miles in open clear ground. This will depend on the charge in the battery.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:45
Nice find Cambell, i also think there would be a brilliant asset to us when on runs with large or small numbers. a good example was our trip to the lakes a couple of years ago, Cambell and i had our radios in the car and were able to relay messages, pass info from front to back of the convoy. A fantastic way of keeping us all safe, together and intouch. I'm in. Approve

1. Cambell
  2. Vpricey(Paul)
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 17:57
Yeh we used to use radios for many years,at one point we all had one as there was so many around and the cheap ones were a great bit of fun
Think the region bought a good few before
I had a few and malc had a heap also
For further apart most folk have handsfree on mobiles
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Robin814 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 18:09
1) Cambell
2) Paul
3) Robin
E46 318Ci M Sport 2001 Light Gelb
E39 530I Champagne I Individual Edition 2002
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 18:21
still got my old cb from my granada days.
no one ever got lost.

put me down if you,re sure its legal to drive using them...ala topgear.

1) Cambell
2) Paul
3) Robin
4) davytombstone
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 18:56
roger roger 10-4 an eyeball..........

Ah feck it. put me down for one too, don't want to feel left oot!

I don't want mine programmed though, I want to surf the waves and get into trouble

1) Cambell
2) Paul
3) Robin
4) davytombstone
5) Stevie
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andr mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:10
Kind of wee change of plan. The radios that I had found have way more features than we / you need for this application. 

I've found some of the same quality on 446MHz and prospective range that I suggest and guess what..........way cheaper. Look here 

Robin already has one and Paul and I are going to order ones that will do the Amateur Radio frequencies aswell so I'll start the list again, this time radios costing £19 each. Again, I'm happy to program them with the relevant frequencies.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:11
New list

1, Davy Tombstone
2, Stevie53
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:21
Will we be allowed to say 'breaker breaker 10 4 good buddy'? Cool

1, Davy Tombstone
2, Stevie53
3. Issy

Edited by Issy - 05-February-2013 at 22:21

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:28
I dunno, I use the benefit of my superior intellect and advanced technological experience to try and keep you lot safe, not to mention the hours of programming work I'll have to do and "10-4" is what I get !
barry b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barry b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:30
Sounds good, stick me down for one.
For Davy's info, they are legal to use when driving, two way radios, frequency dependant are exempt from the 'use of a hand held device' regulations. So I have been informed!

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:35
Originally posted by barry b barry b wrote:

Sounds good, stick me down for one.
For Davy's info, they are legal to use when driving, two way radios, frequency dependant are exempt from the 'use of a hand held device' regulations. So I have been informed!

You are correct Barry, I have a copy of the official legislation somewhere and will post it up when I find it. It is however deemed only for the passing of "short messages" not having a blether. Trust me, if you have a bump, there is a real danger of being done with driving without due care and attention. 
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:39
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

Kind of wee change of plan. The radios that I had found have way more features than we / you need for this application. 

I've found some of the same quality on 446MHz and prospective range that I suggest and guess what..........way cheaper. Look here 

Robin already has one and Paul and I are going to order ones that will do the Amateur Radio frequencies aswell so I'll start the list again, this time radios costing £19 each. Again, I'm happy to program them with the relevant frequencies.

Yip ! Please order me one too Cambell ......might stop me from getting lost ........A LOT !!! LOL Cash next time i see you ...prob Friday 8/2/13 ....... Thanks for sorting it out  ! Thumbs Up Will add my name to list ...pronto Smile
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:39
1, Davy Tombstone
2, Stevie53
3. Issy
4, Barry
5, Tommy

Edited by Cambell - 05-February-2013 at 22:42
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2013 at 22:42
1, Davy Tombstone
2, Stevie53
3. Issy
4, Barry
5 Tommy
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2013 at 07:16
Originally posted by davy tombstone davy tombstone wrote:

put me down if you,re sure its legal to drive using them...ala topgear.

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS

2003 No. 2695

ROAD TRAFFIC

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003

Made

20th October 2003

Laid before Parliament

27th October 2003

Coming into force

1st December 2003

The Secretary of State in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 41(1) and (5) of the Road Traffic Act 1988(1), and after consultation with representative organisations in accordance with section 195(2) of that Act, hereby makes the following Regulations:

Citation, commencement and interpretation

1.  These Regulations may be cited as the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003 and shall come into force on 1st December 2003.

Amendment of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

2.  The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986(2) are amended by inserting after regulation 109—

Mobile telephones

110.(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using—

(a)a hand-held mobile telephone; or

(b)a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(2) No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using—

(b)a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(3) No person shall supervise a holder of a provisional licence if the person supervising is using—

(b)a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4),

at a time when the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road.

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention—

(a)he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999;

(b)he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and

(c)it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made).

(6) For the purposes of this regulation—

(a)a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function;

(b)a person supervises the holder of a provisional licence if he does so pursuant to a condition imposed on that licence holder prescribed under section 97(3)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (grant of provisional licence);

(c)“interactive communication function” includes the following:

(i)sending or receiving oral or written messages;

(ii)sending or receiving facsimile documents;

(iii)sending or receiving still or moving images; and

(iv)providing access to the internet;

(d)“two-way radio” means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted—

(i)for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and

(ii)to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz; and

(e)“wireless telegraphy” has the same meaning as in section 19(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949(3).

Signed by authority of the Secretary of State

Original document 

Edited by Cambell - 06-February-2013 at 07:29
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2013 at 08:18
Originally posted by Issy Issy wrote:

Will we be allowed to say 'breaker breaker 10 4 good buddy'? Cool

PMSL

Bringing back so many memories of one of my fav films.

Breaker one nine to the Rubber Duck, breaker one nine to the Rubber Duck, anyone out there got there ears on. Come one.

Still PMSL!LOL
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic